Dolmar 7900?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:laugh: Ya think? What happened to the MS361 light saber too?

In fairness to 440, I have heard of some isolated problems, that's why I am researching.

I may have to try one out myself-seems like they are still getting used out there.

LOL as you know any saw can have issues. The 5100 went through some growing pains, they even redesigned it. The 7900 has been on the market for 10 years now and they are rock solid, always have been and always will be.

LOVE my 7900!

bought it used busted and bent.

fixed it.

finally found my case gasket issue--so disregard all my posts about oil leaks wrt 7900. fixed that and it became my driest saw.

no problems here none (aside from the abuse from previous owner) and mine is an old -redhead- edition.

__and had it buried in white oak this evening, bucking a big log, 24/8pin/square skip- loving every minute of it.__

Last edited:
Do you really need a dealer? I buy all my parts online from the US.

:agree2: +1. Better to find a knowledgable service tech who works on OPE the a dealer per se, especially if you have more than one brand of tools.

I have a 6401 with a big bore kit, muffler mod & HD air filter, I couldn't be happier with it, no issues at all with it

PICT0002Medium-1.jpg

People were having some problems with the 5100s, they had to be set up properly by the dealer. Doesn't say much about many of the dealers out there I guess...

As for the 7900 they are still considered to one of the best power-to-weight saws out there as well as really good values.

A well maintained Dolmar IMHO, is just as good if not better than just about anything else available today and last just as well too. :rock:

can you elaborate on the set up problems of the 5100's a bit...i.e., typical set up problems. Were they too lean...too rich etc?

The biggest change with the 7900 is that the price had fine up considerably, making it not quite the value it used to be. The 5100 is a good saw, but suffered from a lot of lean seizures and poor dealer servicing in some areas. It's been replaced by the 5105, which has upgraded cooling.

I have a 6401 with a big bore kit, muffler mod & HD air filter, I couldn't be happier with it, no issues at all with it

PICT0002Medium-1.jpg

are those spikes painted or anodized? Black spikes look eye popping on the Makita variant.

can you elaborate on the set up problems of the 5100's a bit...i.e., typical set up problems. Were they too lean...too rich etc?

Most were set too lean @ factory and not setup up by the dealers. Most dealers around here (Stihl-Husky, no Dolmar) just put fuel and bar oil in them make sure they run and oil and out the door. That was the prob. with the Dolmar dealers. I have 2-6401BBK w/HDAF kits, 4-5100's and a 510/5100 hybrid. Awesome saws
Shep

Most were set too lean @ factory and not setup up by the dealers. Most dealers around here (Stihl-Husky, no Dolmar) just put fuel and bar oil in them make sure they run and oil and out the door. That was the prob. with the Dolmar dealers. I have 2-6401BBK w/HDAF kits, 4-5100's and a 510/5100 hybrid. Awesome saws
Shep

That's exactly what the long-time Dolmar dealer near here said about it. That they were coming tweaked too lean from factory--lord knows why (could it be _satan_epa). He adjusts every saw he sells because he _is_ the warranty staion. This guy still has a lot of customers running 116's and 120's. That says a lot about him (and the grunt of those lovely sachs-D's).

Last edited:
I've had my 6400 with BB kit on it for a good long time now and it's been trouble-free. If I could only keep a single saw, that one would be a strong contender. I keep wanting to mod it more, but why? I've got other saws I can grind on. This one's awesome as-is.

Dolmar

I have a 7900 with muff mod and hd air filter kit, no problems what so ever. I also have a 5100s that is highly modified. Both running on Amsoil 100:1 syn. w/110 oct. Now waiting for the new 60cc Dolmar to be released!!!!! Can't wait.

I have a 7900 with muff mod and hd air filter kit, no problems what so ever. I also have a 5100s that is highly modified. Both running on Amsoil 100:1 syn. w/110 oct. Now waiting for the new 60cc Dolmar to be released!!!!! Can't wait.

Haven't heard anything about the new 60cc...you got any more details? An upgrade to the 6421?

Haven't heard anything about the new 60cc...you got any more details? An upgrade to the 6421?

FYI, the 6421 is the Makita model number for the 6400. Still, I have yet to see any info regarding a new 60cc saw. Anyone know anything more about it?

There is a post on here that i created about it. Not much being said, my local Dolmar dealer/good friend was told by the Dolmar Rep that there will be a new 58-60cc model for next year to compete along with the ms362 and the 562xp. other than that I'm also looking for more details. I want one now.

Brandon

That they were coming tweaked too lean from factory--lord knows why (could it be _satan_epa). He adjusts every saw he sells because he _is_ the warranty staion.

Yeah, my local Stihl guy was saying the same thing a few days ago. I took him my new BG 86 back with an unhappy look on my face. "Sorry-everything is being sent so lean from the factory. Now listen while I do this." Just richened it up a little. He is a Stihl, Jonsered, Toro, and who knows what else dealer and it's all manufacturers under the thumb of epa

Latest posts

Back