dolmar ct with carb issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechaniman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi there folks, i just got passed down to me a dolmar ct with a six foot bar, attached is a frame with rollers for a saw mill. anyways, the beast has been sleeping for a couple years so i went through the preliminaries, cleaned fuel tank, lines, sprayed out the jets and there passages, over all i got this thing pretty clean.. now after pulling the cord twice the spark plug is drenched. i cleaned it put it back in and tried this a few times, my plug still gets wet. now i know this carb doesnt have a float bowl, so what meters the fuel intake from tank to carb. and im getting spark.so why with the richness. thanks yall,

Hi,not familiar with that carb exactly but if it is a diaghram type like most saws it sounds like a gasket might be on the wrong side,that is next to the body and not on top of the thicker gasket spacer.Have you looked at acres site he has some good carb info if I rember right.How about some pics of that monster??
Russ

Usually when a diaphragm carb is flooding, either the inlet needle lever is set too high, as HiOctane mentioned, the diaphragms are incorrectly placed, as Russ mentioned, the pop-off pressure is set too low (replace the inlet needle lever spring), or the inlet needle itself is worn or the seat is worn/damaged.

dolmar ct, carb may be alright,

ok, so i took the carb apart, filter screen is good, diaphram is ok, i cleaned inlet valve and seat, all looks good, after i pulled the carb i tipped the saw over and a bunch of fuel came out of crankcase, possibly from me spraying out all the jets with carb still mounted, . my question is do i have enough spark, i can pull plug , and watch it spark accross the gap, does that mean i have enough. thank for all the replies, i may have more questions.

If the saw is flooding, the carb must be your problem. if you can, perform a pressure test of the carb. If it holds .5 bar pressure, than the inlet needle is closing well. (carb is HL type, so pretty common).

for spark testing, Lakeside just learned us in anothet thread that you can try a plug with the tip electrode (ground) removed. if the spark is strong enough to cross the gap still, than the ignition should be good enough for operating conditons.

Last edited:
If you can't get it figured out, you could always make it someone else's problem these saws are desireable to some. I'd volunteer to take one for the team, but that would be obvious, wouldn't it? Whatever happens good luck that's a cool saw.:hmm3grin2orange:

dolmar

ok got the saw running, spark plug was fouled bad, i took a torch to it and the thing started right up,it wouldnt stay idling, so got it running again, and started making my adjustments, that helped alot, got it to idle and got the high rpm to go as high as it could. me and my roomate tried cutting a slab with it, it did pretty good but about half way through it started to load up, i tried making some adjustments while on a load, it helped a little, but it loaded up too much and died. while it was sitting there not running i could hear a gurgling sound and i thing the fuel was boiling or something... any ideas.

Back