Dolmar/Makita 540

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd460

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
All this talk about the Dolmar 5100 has me interested. The 540 caught my eye as it is in my price range, the 5100 is a little out of my price range.

Anyone running the 540's? If so, how do you like it. I had my hands on a Makita version the other day and it felt good. Reminds me allot of my old Jred 510.

I cut for heat for myself, my Dad, and for people who provide me with wood. Say about 8 to 10 full cord a year/season.

I'm ready to purchase the Makita version, but just noticed the price coming down on the 5100's (noticed people mention it here, have not seen a 5100 in person).

Any problems with the 540 saw? I know the 5100 is a good one. I understand I'm pretty much on my own with parts and repair, but I'm used to that with my Jred. Thanks, KD

Any problems with the 540 saw? I know the 5100 is a good one. I understand I'm pretty much on my own with parts and repair, but I'm used to that with my Jred. Thanks, KD

Probably not, except that it is an EPA-downrated version of and old design, with so-so anti-vibe and air filtration.......

I suggest that you look at the Husky 353 instead!

i hate to make it public, but i went shopping for a 540 all dealer had in stock was a 510 i really love this saw, if it were anymore powerful and smoother it would be scary.

All this talk about the Dolmar 5100 has me interested. The 540 caught my eye as it is in my price range, the 5100 is a little out of my price range.

Anyone running the 540's? If so, how do you like it. I had my hands on a Makita version the other day and it felt good. Reminds me allot of my old Jred 510.

I cut for heat for myself, my Dad, and for people who provide me with wood. Say about 8 to 10 full cord a year/season.

I'm ready to purchase the Makita version, but just noticed the price coming down on the 5100's (noticed people mention it here, have not seen a 5100 in person).

Get a 5100, you'll love it, unless you hate powerful, refined, saws...

I've got a couple of those PS-540's They are great little saws for firewood and smaller felling/bucking duties especially with the muffler opened up a bit. The only complaint i have about them is the air filtration system is a bit lacking compared to my husky saws.

The 540 is a good little saw, but based on a really old design..

The air filtration isn't the greatest and the rubber Antivibe bushings were out too prematurely.

I have had 110's and 115's (older more HP versions of the 540, 510, etc) and they ran best with 16" bars. I run 3/8 on all of my saws, but the 5100 will handle a 20" or even in extreme cases a tad longer bar.

My 5100 runs circles around them, with more power, less vibes and better filtration.

the 5100 is more saw than most people need that are looking for a 50 cc saw. Save your money and get a 5100. Almost every 5100 that has one, wishes they had another...

540 vs 5100

I have both, and I would suggest the 5100 for all of the above reasons, especially the diff in airfilter loading.

Freakingstang,,, is your 5100 modded?

Going to look at a 5100 on saturday. Closest Dolmar dealer is 30 miles away, but, from what I'm reading here, thats close.

Part of the appeal of the 540 to me was the dealer who had one was close. (2 miles) He was not all that familiar with them, but, is a makita power tool dealer and happened to have one. Thats how I got interested. Said he could get parts within a day or two.

Hopefully the Dolmar dealer I'm going to on saturday is "a real one" and not just a couple saws in the corner. While it's higher than I want to spend, I think I'll be happier in the long run with the 5100.

How long has the 5100 been on the market? What known problems? How new is the design? Dad always said, "never buy a new model car-let them work the bugs out for a while, then go buy it". KD

Latest posts

Back