Dolmar/Makita questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whiteman

Whiteman

ArboristSite Guru
BTW the dolmar 6400 I was talking about is the same as the makita just different colors and this has the non cat muffler. He is a dealer. Just send him a message and avoid the ebay stuff to get the best deal. Plus these are NEW saws. Like i said under $500 for the powerhead shipped. Maybe ask what the cost is with a 20" bar and chain. Here is his ebay listing. Dolmar chainsaw PS6400 new arborist power cutter Dolmar - eBay (item 300525325138 end time Mar-13-11 14:07:14 PDT)
You will be very happy with this saw.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
The standard spikes are OK in many situations but do fail in some odd shaped trunks and/or harder hardwoods. The bottom spike is on the wrong angle to get adequate bite (as Rick mentioned).
He's come up with his own fix but I adapted a set of 365/372 etc OEM HD spikes to one of my 7900's and they work a treat. Easy to do as well as the Dolmar/Makita spikes are all flat with no pressed parts. Just some grinding and I did weld on a piece of plate to the inner spike for strengthening but it may have not been necessary...

DSCF0714.jpg

DSCF0715.jpg

DSCF0716.jpg

hefley

hefley

ArboristSite Lurker
Well I made the purchase tonight. I'm stoked to get it. I was looking at stihls at the dealer/craigslist, and almost nothing around here would touch the price for something comparable. I've heard a lot of good stuff about these saws, so we'll see :D

hefley

hefley

ArboristSite Lurker
Well I made the purchase tonight. I'm stoked to get it. I was looking at stihls at the dealer/craigslist, and almost nothing around here would touch the price for something comparable. I've heard a lot of good stuff about these saws, so we'll see :D

atvdave

atvdave

ArboristSite Operative

Let us know after you use it... I may want one..

Whiteman

Whiteman

ArboristSite Guru

What purchase did you make?

hefley

hefley

ArboristSite Lurker
The refurb makita, 20 inch set up. Supposed to be in excellent condition, I will take pics when I get it. Also same warranty as a new one...

CountryBoy19

CountryBoy19

ArboristSite Operative
Ive thought about drawing up some plans for a lower profile spike, but havent got around to it yet.

I beat ya to that... as a matter of fact, just got them back from the waterjet today. I'll take some pics tonight when I go home and put them on...

These are much lower profile than the OEM spikes. At least an inch shorter...

atvdave

atvdave

ArboristSite Operative
FYI

I just ordered a brand new 6401 through Home Depot for $472.00. The price is good through July, IIRC.

a 6401 or a 6421??? My local HD said the same thing, but the guy never knew that they no longer make the 6401... He had no idea or clue...

May want to dbl check.. but the 6421 is just as good IMO.... other than the cat muffler... which can be changed...

Chopper G

Chopper G

ArboristSite Member
a 6401 or a 6421??? My local HD said the same thing, but the guy never knew that they no longer make the 6401... He had no idea or clue...

May want to dbl check.. but the 6421 is just as good IMO.... other than the cat muffler... which can be changed...

the HD guy was not very knowledgable - seems folks very rarely order them new via the rental dept. But the HD "book" listed the 6401 at that price and indicated it was good through 7/11. I'd rather have a 6401, but if a 6421 arrives instead, I will not be too dissapointed, considering they are selling for $600 everywhere else.

Chopper G

Chopper G

ArboristSite Member
Just checked my HD receipt - it states that I bought a 6401. Also checked Makita's site - the 6401 is still listed, right alongside the 6421.

I dunno, but I'd imagine that Makita contracts w/ HD to supply a certain tool at a certain price for a certain time frame - so HD can properly replenish its rental units as needed without worrying about unpredictable fluctuations in tool supply/cost.

atvdave

atvdave

ArboristSite Operative
Just checked my HD receipt - it states that I bought a 6401. Also checked Makita's site - the 6401 is still listed, right alongside the 6421.

I dunno, but I'd imagine that Makita contracts w/ HD to supply a certain tool at a certain price for a certain time frame - so HD can properly replenish its rental units as needed without worrying about unpredictable fluctuations in tool supply/cost.

I hope your right... I'll be running to my HD to order one myself...:msp_thumbup:

hefley

hefley

ArboristSite Lurker
Well so far I like it a lot! I only got to use it for about 45 mins before dark tonight, on some smaller stuff but it cuts fast. Real fast! I did notice it will leave some oil after its been off and been sitting. My ms250 doesn't, but the makita manual pretty much says its normal? Looks like its right by the oiler adjustment screw. Maybe i need to turn it down a bit right now for the stuff I'm cutting?

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Well so far I like it a lot! I only got to use it for about 45 mins before dark tonight, on some smaller stuff but it cuts fast. Real fast! I did notice it will leave some oil after its been off and been sitting. My ms250 doesn't, but the makita manual pretty much says its normal? Looks like its right by the oiler adjustment screw. Maybe i need to turn it down a bit right now for the stuff I'm cutting?

Some leak some don't. I had one of my 7900's leak from brand new yet my ex Home Depot Makita and other Dolmar 7900 didn't leak a drop. I think they all say that some oil leakage is normal but it's probably not due to your oiler setting.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
do the Dolkita have something in common with Stihl ?
all Stihl dealers in my city sell Makita tools and even Dolmar bars
even Fiskars tools lately

Nothing, apart from the fact that the founders of both brands worked at the same factory back in the 1920s (before they founded their own respective ones).

Last edited:

Latest posts