Dolmar PS-350 and PS-420?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokin_arkie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I saw this off another forum:

New Dolmar Small Saws

and was wondering if anyone knows about when they're set to be released? I'm in the market for a small saw (similar to MS200, Echo CS-346, etc) and one of these might just fit the bill perfectly.

If they manage to be as light or lighter than the PS401 then they ought to be pretty impressive saws as they appear to be quite powerful.

Can't seem to find specs on their weights though.

Anyone else hear anything about them?

Oops, I apologize for reposting it. I found it mentioned on a German site where they were discussing the new models as well.

Sorry for the repeat, admin feel free to delete, I can follow the other thread instead.

Thanks

I wish I had a good Dolmar dealer in my area. They seem to have some good products. The 5100, 6400, 7300 and 7900 look like really nice saws. My only dealer didn't even stock the 5100! :(

Sorry for the hi jack! ;)

I sent my local dolmar dealer the announcement from Dolmar that I posted in the first post of this thread. Stopped in there today and asked him about it and he called his rep from the factory and got some more info.

Apparently these two saws are headed for the US and should be released as soon as they pass US emissions tests. He said it would likely take 3 months or so, so around the start of 2008. He didn't have any more info about the saws whatsoever though so I can't add any specs or anything like that.

Anyone else got anything?

Looks like they will be here in February/March '08.

From the other specs i've seen it should be a nice little saw. Also the easiest starting saw anybody has seen.

Steve

I'm sure they are nice, but weight rumors from Germany worry me - hopefully they are not true.

Well, worry - I don't need another "ultralight" saw, anyway - perfectly happy with the 339xp......:biggrinbounce2:

Looks like the weight rumors might actually be true,

PS-420 is stated at 4.8kg and PS-350 at 4.7kg without bar and chain. Thats darn near as heavy as a lot of 50cc class saws. Not sure why these little saws are so heavy, seems like they ought to have been shooting for something closer to the PS-401 or even lighter.

Anyone know if these specs are right? Here's the link I got them from:
PS-420
http://www.dolmar.com/site/managed/html/produkt/5062/PS-420

and
PS-350
http://www.dolmar.com/site/managed/html/produkt/5060/PS-350

Hope there's some better news, these saws aren't looking as impressive as before.

yes, the specs are right. but why are you worried about this?
comparable saws made by stihl or husqvarna have the same weights (210, 230, 240, 250, 136, 340, ...). i own a 420 and i can tell you it is a very nice saw to make firewood. good handling, very easy starting, power and torque enough, very nice details and a good price!

jenfelder

yes, the specs are right. but why are you worried about this?
comparable saws made by stihl or husqvarna have the same weights (210, 230, 240, 250, 136, 340, ...). i own a 420 and i can tell you it is a very nice saw to make firewood. good handling, very easy starting, power and torque enough, very nice details and a good price!

jenfelder

Yep, but pretty far from the MS200 and 339xp.....

...anyway, I suspected something like that for weights, as there have been rumors on a German saw forum, but no real evidense.

SawTroll made my point exactly. I'm sure they're good saws, no doubt about that, but their weights don't come close to saws from Husky or Stihl that have the same hp (like MS200T and 229XP).

Even the Dolmar PS-401 makes more hp than the PS-350 and manages to weigh almost 2 pounds less. Not sure what market they're shooting for with these saws, the 401 is already a reasonably priced saw and it seems to beat the 350 hands down.

Any thoughts?

You're comparing 2 different types of chainsaws

The MS200 and the 339XP should be compared with the PS-3410. These specs were copied from the websites.

The PS401, PS350, & PS420 have a vertical engine design like the larger frame saws. Compared to the horizontal designs of the ms200, 339XP, & PS3410. The PS-401 is a 20 year old design which will not pass the new emmissions standards.

Dolmar Model: PS-3410 TLC
Engine displacement: 34 cm³
Power rating: 1,4 kW
Power rating: 1,9 BHP
NET weight without bar and chain: 3,2 kg

Stihl MS 200 Chain Saw
DISPLACEMENT 35.2 cc (2.15 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 1.6 kW (2.1 bhp)
WEIGHT (powerhead only) 3.8 kg (8.4 lbs.)

Husqvarna 339XP
Engine displacement 2.4 cu.inch / 39.0 cm³
Power 2.4 hp / 1.8 kW
Weight excl. cutting equipment 8.8 lbs / 4.0 kg

Dolmar Model: PS-401 Which is a 20 year old design still has impressive specs
Engine displacement: 39 cm³
Power rating: 1,7 kW
Power rating: 2,3 BHP
NET weight without bar and chain: 4 kg

Steve

The PS420 specs looks like a mirror image of the 024AV/MS240, nothing wrong with that really, but not what I (and I believe a lot of others) was hoping for......:popcorn: :givebeer:

Back