Dolmar ps-401? Any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

460Ted

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Dolmar ps-401 for light limbing and small brush cutting. The specs look pretty good, however the saw "looks" completely different than their mid size saws. Has anyone here used this saw? Does it have a good reputation like Dolmar's bigger ones? Are the listed specs accurate?

PS-401
2.27bHP
8.6lbs
$249.95 16"

I have the Makita version (DCS-401). It's been my favorite small saw. I've used mine for much more than light limbing and brush cutting and it's performed fine.

The only issue I see is that there's only one bar nut. I think it should really have two. I'm not sure if the bar moves slightly or if my chain is stretching but I've had to make frequent adjustments.

I liked my 401 far more then my previous Stihl 021. Now my other small saw is a Stihl MS180C and it's almost a dead heat as to which I prefer. (I'm leaning towards the 180)

The only problem with the 401 is that I had to replace the chain brake handle. It's not resilient enough when a Doug Fir falls on it!! It took about a week to get the part from Makita.

Thanks Dave. On paper, the Dolmar 401 looks to have better specs than the 180, but the proof is in the field! Thanks again!

Ted

460Ted said:
Thanks Dave. On paper, the Dolmar 401 looks to have better specs than the 180, but the proof is in the field! Thanks again!

Ted

The Stihl 180 uses Picco Micro Narrow chain. I think my Makita came with std. 3/8 X .50 chain.

That narrow chain really makes the 180 perform like a bigger saw.

I use a Dolmar PS-401 12" for cutting open equipment crates. It's a strong, light, durable saw for it's size.

Steve

I have a 401 with about 15 tanks thru it. Has been very reliable. Kinda of doggy at first, but I opened up the muffler, cut off the limiter caps, and adjusted the carb. Now its is very responive and has significantly more power. Very light and respectable power for what I think is only 39cc's.
Very pleased.

Nice little saw, I changed mine over to .325 chisel chain so it would cut dead hardwood tops better. Nice to use, balanced nice, nice weight, decent power. I have sold three besides this one with no complaints.

the .325 sprocket has been listed available in europe for years now we FINALLY have them in stock part #205223100
we have sold hundreds of these PS401's, PS400's, and 102's the only real problem has been solved the older saws had fuel line issues that are finally solved
Scott

Thanks Scott, could you PM me with a price for the 401 with the .325 16" set up?

Ted

Latest posts

Back