Dolmar ps 421 kicking ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, the 421 with a small bar is nice and handy, especially for smaller bore cuts.
Thanks for the video Corey ...
Keep em coming :)

Starting to put the new 421 to work on the jobs it was hired for. Lol

That went better than my ash falling fiasco today! First, I made my back cut at a bit of an angle to the face cut, then I rather badly misjudged the center of mass. Here's the mostly dead ash, about 30" diameter:
IMG_2606-800.jpg

Here's a picture of failure - I used (and mostly destroyed) every wedge I had. This is after I cut off the smashed wooded ones and resorted to splitting wedges:
IMG_2605-800.jpg

In the end it didn't fall until I lifted the kerf to about 1-1/2". It did end up right where I wanted it, but I swear I could not have swung the sledge another time, and it took all the force I could muster to drive those wedges in.
IMG_2607-1024.jpg

That went better than my ash falling fiasco today! First, I made my back cut at a bit of an angle to the face cut, then I rather badly misjudged the center of mass. Here's the mostly dead ash, about 30" diameter:
View attachment 518288

Here's a picture of failure - I used (and mostly destroyed) every wedge I had. This is after I cut off the smashed wooded ones and resorted to splitting wedges:
View attachment 518289

In the end it didn't fall until I lifted the kerf to about 1-1/2". It did end up right where I wanted it, but I swear I could not have swung the sledge another time, and it took all the force I could muster to drive those wedges in.
View attachment 518290
Thankfully every thing needed well. I hate it when things don't go as planned. That sounds like a bad situation with potential to get worse.

That sounds like a bad situation with potential to get worse.
Nah, in my woods I'd have just left it until a good wind brought it down - there wasn't much holding it there but gravity and cussedness.

Corey, what chain are you using?

I get the feeling that the 421 is edging out your other chainsaw for use :D

Corey, what chain are you using?

I get the feeling that the 421 is edging out your other chainsaw for use :D
Right now I am using Oregon 91vxl. It is a 3/8lp It is a handy saw for sure. But as soon as the wood get much above 8in I quickly and happily grab the 6100. It is an excellent 2 saw set up.

Right now I am using Oregon 91vxl. It is a 3/8lp It is a handy saw for sure. But as soon as the wood get much above 8in I quickly and happily grab the 6100. It is an excellent 2 saw set up.

I really keep eyeing that local, used Makita 6400 for $322...

Latest posts

Back