Dolmar ps 421 kicking ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Starting to put the new 421 to work on the jobs it was hired for. Lol

That went better than my ash falling fiasco today! First, I made my back cut at a bit of an angle to the face cut, then I rather badly misjudged the center of mass. Here's the mostly dead ash, about 30" diameter:
IMG_2606-800.jpg

Here's a picture of failure - I used (and mostly destroyed) every wedge I had. This is after I cut off the smashed wooded ones and resorted to splitting wedges:
IMG_2605-800.jpg

In the end it didn't fall until I lifted the kerf to about 1-1/2". It did end up right where I wanted it, but I swear I could not have swung the sledge another time, and it took all the force I could muster to drive those wedges in.
IMG_2607-1024.jpg

CoreyB

CoreyB

Addicted to ArboristSite
That went better than my ash falling fiasco today! First, I made my back cut at a bit of an angle to the face cut, then I rather badly misjudged the center of mass. Here's the mostly dead ash, about 30" diameter:
View attachment 518288

Here's a picture of failure - I used (and mostly destroyed) every wedge I had. This is after I cut off the smashed wooded ones and resorted to splitting wedges:
View attachment 518289

In the end it didn't fall until I lifted the kerf to about 1-1/2". It did end up right where I wanted it, but I swear I could not have swung the sledge another time, and it took all the force I could muster to drive those wedges in.
View attachment 518290
Thankfully every thing needed well. I hate it when things don't go as planned. That sounds like a bad situation with potential to get worse.

Latest posts