Dolmar PS-421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt81

Bliss: Saw full of fuel and yard full of trees!
Reaction score
Hi all, I noticed the Dolmar website has added this saw in the last few days or so. I have been waiting patiently and finally it is here. I am at a disadvantage being in another country, but anyone have any idea of when dealers should have stock? Also any idea of pricing? If it is as nice to use as my 5105 but a tad lighter and will last longer on a tank, sign me up for one. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/msp_biggrin.gif

The 421 essentially Easy Start version of the 420 with the torque spring between the starter pulley and the flywheel

The 421 is a big bore version of the 351 and is not directly related to the 5105.

The 421 is a magnesium saw so is light weight

According to the Dolmar website it comes in a touch lighter than my 5105. With the smaller displacement of 42cc but still putting out 2.9 hp it should last longer on a tank of fuel which is what i am looking for. I will only be running a 16" bar to keep it light so it would pull through anything i need it to. I have other saws for bigger wood.

The 421 is an excellent light weight small 42cc saw but the 5105 is a much larger saw with 50cc. My 5105 runs a 3/8" chain on a 20" bar

The 420 has the spring (to get over resistor - funny these smaller companies like Dolmar still won't hire someone who speaks english to proof their literature), but the 421 is supposed to also have engine management system optimized for easy starting. Probably just big words for a bit of spark retard at start.

My 420 has an easy start system. And its 2 years old I dont think thats the difference on the 421.

The ignition coil is such that the ignition will fire with the correct timing for starting to just barely pull the engine through compression.

I have an older Dolmar that if you hesitate at the point that the piston goes through top dead center - the engine will kick back and jerk the starter handle through your fingers.

The "Easy Start" Dolmars will not do this.

The difference is not the cat muffler either for the 420 had the cat muffler.

Trying to study and compare the IPL for this series of Dolmar saws the differences I found between the 420 and 421 were . . . .

The Decal on the starter cover

The 421 is missing a cover over the oil pump

The P&C has a a different number but the piston does not. Which tells me there was a change in the cylinder?

Anyone know the price? I assume they will try to sell it for a premium while they close out the 420, but it seems highly unlikely they will keep both in the lineup.

About a month ago 166 from Cutting Edge had this to saw about the 421.

Original: 166 "The new PS-421 will be the same weight as the PS-420 but will have more power. Going from 2.0kW on the 420 to 2.2kW on the 421. But it may be early next year before we see them. "

Anyone know the price? I assume they will try to sell it for a premium while they close out the 420, but it seems highly unlikely they will keep both in the lineup.

list here is 341.67, couple of dollars higher then the 420. our warehouse is out of 420's and the 421's are on order, so would think they would be here soon. but then again .....

About a month ago 166 from Cutting Edge had this to saw about the 421.
Original: 166 "The new PS-421 will be the same weight as the PS-420 but will have more power. Going from 2.0kW on the 420 to 2.2kW on the 421. But it may be early next year before we see them. "

That's a bit odd, as I thought that upgrade was done to the 420 a while ago? :msp_confused:

The PS-421 (PS-420 SC in europe) has a different cylinder, spark plug, and carburetor. Power output has increased from 2.0kW to 2.2kW. They changed the oiler on late model 420's and that oiler is used on the 421.

All PS-420 in the US/Canada have Cat Mufflers and they all have the Easy Start.

There is a PS-351 coming as well.

The PS-420 is rev-limited to 13,500 but liked to run in the 12,800-13,000 range. Maybe the new 421 will turn a few more rpm?

There is also 2 different air filter systems for the PS-420. Earlier models had a nylon air filter, later models have a flock type filter with different hoods. Nylon filter saws have a shiney black hood and the flock filter saws have a Flat black hood like the PS-5105.

All PS-420 in the US/Canada have Cat Mufflers and they all have the Easy Start... also 2 different air filter systems for the PS-420. Earlier models had a nylon air filter, later models have a flock type filter with different hoods.

So the big questions I have are:
1) Where does one order a Euro spec muffler or is MM the only option?
2) Which filter is better or is it depending on cutting conditions, etc...?

Here's hoping you can help with these. :cheers:

So the big questions I have are:
1) Where does one order a Euro spec muffler or is MM the only option?
2) Which filter is better or is it depending on cutting conditions, etc...?

Here's hoping you can help with these. :cheers:

You are right, the choice of nylon or a flocked felt filter does come down to cutting conditions. Usually the nylon filters are fine for most people and general cutting conditions, but if you cut mostly dead dry wood you will notice the nylon filter letting through some fine dust particles. In those conditions a flocked felt filter will be way better. If you cut mostly green wood a nylon will be fine, plus the nylon filters are slightly less restrictive on air flow. If you use the nylon filters it is good practice to apply a small amount of grease around where the filter connects to the saw as well as between the two mating halves of the filter itself. This will help the filter do its job better in dry dead dusty conditions. Not a bad idea to do this to the felt filters either to help keep out fine contaminants getting through the joins in the filter. I do this on all my saws using these styles of filter and it does improve filtration, however i only run the felt filters due to the greatly different types of wood i am cutting.

As for the muffler i'm sure a euro one would be available and be able to be bought, but seriously how hard is a MM? Plus your getting to work more on the saw which can't be a bad thing. :msp_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Obviously the change is in the cylinder porting, which has increased hp for the same cc. Basically, it is kind of what happened to the 510 to become the 5105, and what is coming next year when the 460 becomes the 4605. The 4605 is already listed on the euro Dolmar site, making 3.5hp. Also, the mufflers should be SLR style, which is what is coming on the new 6400-7900 saws. Meets emissions with no muffler maintenance needed. They are not cats!

Obviously the change is in the cylinder porting, which has increased hp for the same cc. Basically, it is kind of what happened to the 510 to become the 5105...

Actually, the 5105 came from the 5100s. At the beginning they were tuned like the 5100 running at 14,500 rpm but with better cooling. The current version was re-tuned to run 13,800 rpm I believe. They added the spring assisted EZ start mechanism also.

The 421 essentially Easy Start version of the 420 with the torque spring between the starter pulley and the flywheel

The 421 is a big bore version of the 351 and is not directly related to the 5105.

The 421 is a magnesium saw so is light weight

Not really light for a 42cc saw - imo, the weight it too close to some 50cc saws, and the power is not close at all.

Back