Dolmar PS-421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously the change is in the cylinder porting, which has increased hp for the same cc. Basically, it is kind of what happened to the 510 to become the 5105, and what is coming next year when the 460 becomes the 4605. The 4605 is already listed on the euro Dolmar site, making 3.5hp. Also, the mufflers should be SLR style, which is what is coming on the new 6400-7900 saws. Meets emissions with no muffler maintenance needed. They are not cats!

Not true - the 5105 came from the 5100/5000, and the 4605 from the 4600. The 460, 500 and 510 has an alu case that is heavier, and are not pro saws.

Last edited:
Let me clean this up. 510>5100>5105.

Not pro! Run one. Stop talking about things you don't know about until you do. Leach.

510 did not turn into the 5100

They were similar saws sold side by side at the same time.
510 has aluminum case
5100 has magnesum case is lighter and has more power.

Both look the same physically besides the extra "0"

They still are similar saws sold side by side. They changed crank case material and ignition / cylinder set up, but it came from the 510. If not, you are saying they designed a new saw from scratch that matched the 510 95%!?

510 did not turn into the 5100

They were similar saws sold side by side at the same time.
510 has aluminum case
5100 has magnesum case is lighter and has more power.

Both look the same physically besides the extra "0"

Right! My first good saw was a Dolly PS-510, and IMHO you cannot buy a better saw for the money. Its better than most other farm saws but not yet a true pro saw but then again, it doesn't come in at a pro saws price.
So it weighs 12 pounds, but its built with almost pro saw construction and at a homeowner saw's price... though the metal is aluminum instead of magnesium, it is metal and split case, unlike just about everyone else's plastic clamshells.

For the money, its one of the best deals going. :msp_smile:

Not really light for a 42cc saw - imo, the weight it too close to some 50cc saws, and the power is not close at all.

And yet for the money there is no better. Compared to a Husky 445, it produces about the same power (2.0kW for the 420 vs. 2.1kW for the 445) yet it weighs 0.5 pound less and in Canada costs $100 less. Its also built like a pro saw, unlike the 445 which is not.

The first saws in this series were the PS-4600S (14,500RPM Coil) & PS-5000 (13,500 RPM Coil) sold in europe around 2003-2004. These models had Orange hoods.

In Late 2005 Dolmar released the PS-460 (13,500), PS-510 (13,500), PS-5100S (14,500) to the US & Canada. The PS-5100S had the high speed coil & magnesium cases. The 460 & 510 have aluminum crankcases. All bolt on parts will interchange with all these models. The only reason they used the aluminum cases on these were to lower the retail price.

Around 2006 or so Dolmar came out with the PS-460 & PS-500 in europe which is the same as the US 460 & 510 except for the orange hoods & minor epa limiter caps, and spark arrestors.

Last year the PS-4600S became a PS-4605, the PS-5000 & PS-5100S became a PS-5105. The PS-460 & 510 haven't changed much except for a muffler.

I would say the PS-510 is probably the most durable 50cc chainsaw from any manufacturer right now. The only major repair we've had on this saw are blow ups from straight gas.

And yet for the money there is no better. Compared to a Husky 445, it produces about the same power (2.0kW for the 420 vs. 2.1kW for the 445) yet it weighs 0.5 pound less and in Canada costs $100 less. Its also built like a pro saw, unlike the 445 which is not.

when you compare the specs, the 420 is equal to or better than all others in its class except in weight... by as much as 1 1/2 lbs but more usually in the 1/2 pound range. That is, if the specs are correct.

So, it's at the very heaviest end of the 40cc range....probably. If you care about relatively little weight. Your belt pouch is heavier.

It is one of the relatively few in the class which has a proper motor in it. Torquey little motor too.

Good plastics, easy operation. I have never had an engine in anything except for a GS750 bike a long time ago that starts this well. Period. Oh, and a particular diesel pick-up I had. That's it over many engines.

And it is one of the cheapest saws in the class. Huh.

No brainer for the hobbiest.

Last edited:
when you compare the specs, the 420 is equal to or better than all others in its class except in weight... by as much as 1 1/2 lbs but more usually in the 1/2 pound range. That is, if the specs are correct.

The specs are as correct as just about all the others out there. FWIW, my 420 weighs in just about 2 pounds more fuelled up than my MS200 and everyone can agree on the light weight of the little Stihl. :msp_smile:

For the money (in North America) - Yes, but that is not the way I am thinking.....:msp_wink:

Let me clean this up. 510>5100>5105.

Not pro! Run one. Stop talking about things you don't know about until you do. Leach.

Lower power, alu case (heavier) + spur sprocket make them non-pro saws! :msp_biggrin:

And Dolmar don't use 3-digit model numbers on their newer pro saws. :msp_wink:

Wood cutting season and no saws, open winter too. Anybody can back off into the woods with a 2wd pickup and run his old saw over on the way out so far this season. But no saws.

For the money (in North America) - Yes, but that is not the way I am thinking.....:msp_wink:

OK then, take "for the money" out of the equation. Husky still has nothing in this class of saw that is of similar quality and Stihl is only now releasing the MS241 but otherwise had nothing either. :poke:

There has been no better saw in this class than the Dolmar PS-420 for the last few years.

OK then, take "for the money" out of the equation. Husky still has nothing in this class of saw that is of similar quality and Stihl is only now releasing the MS241 but otherwise had nothing either. :poke:

There has been no better saw in this class than the Dolmar PS-420 for the last few years.

No, but the ol' 242xp beat both the 420/421 and the MS241 on power, and is a bit lighter than the 421. Also, 543xp is on its way (no specs known so far), and the 550xp is as light as the 421, based on the specs of both - and the 45cc 346xp actually was a tad lighter.......

Imo, a 42cc saw doesn't make a lot of sence, when they weight the same as some 50cc saws! :cheers:

No, but the ol' 242xp beat both the 420/421 and the MS241 on power, and is a bit lighter than the 421. Also, 543xp is on its way (no specs known so far), and the 550xp is as light as the 421, based on the specs of both - and the 45cc 346xp actually was a tad lighter.......

Imo, a 42cc saw doesn't make a lot of sence, when they weight the same as some 50cc saws! :cheers:

The 242xp has not been available for some time now and according to its specs produces only 0.3kW more than the Dolmar and was about the same weight (OK, 0.3 pounds lighter).

The MS241 is only now becoming available, the 543xp is on its way and the 550xp is brand spankin' new also.

Thank you for making my case for me! :cheers:

The 242xp has not been available for some time now and according to its specs produces only 0.3kW more than the Dolmar and was about the same weight (OK, 0.3 pounds lighter).

The MS241 is only now becoming available, the 543xp is on its way and the 550xp is brand spankin' new also.

Thank you for making my case for me! :cheers:

I just posted some facts, to put things into perspective. I wasn't trying to make a case for anything really! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back