Dolmar PS-9010 wirh 32 inch bar, and 72LGX chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zr900

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Today i felled a 30 inch fence-row cherry with my new Dolmar 9010 with a 32 inch bar. The tree yielded 4+ cord of wood which will get burned next winter. This is the first time I put on the 32, I usually run it with a 24. It was the first time I have used a bar bigger than a 24, and the saw pulled it great.
My question is how big of bar will that saw run? Would a 42 be too much, and does anyone make a bar that big with a 3/8 and .050 chain? Both my 24 and 32 are .050 and it would be nice to not mess with different driver sizes.

:greenchainsaw:

Today i felled a 30 inch fence-row cherry with my new Dolmar 9010 with a 32 inch bar. The tree yielded 4+ cord of wood which will get burned next winter. This is the first time I put on the 32, I usually run it with a 24. It was the first time I have used a bar bigger than a 24, and the saw pulled it great.
My question is how big of bar will that saw run? Would a 42 be too much, and does anyone make a bar that big with a 3/8 and .050 chain? Both my 24 and 32 are .050 and it would be nice to not mess with different driver sizes.

:greenchainsaw:

That saw would pull a 42" bar no problem, As for .050 I would swap rims to a
.404 pitch with .063 gauge and would run full skip square chisel chain. The
bigger chain will cut fast and will be the safest to use on a bar that long.

It sounds like you are trying to keep the same chain stock across all saws. The problem is that on the 42" bar you should run skip for the chip clearance. You should think about running skip or semi skip with the 32". 24" is about the recommended maximum for full compliment chain.

If you stick with the 3/8" pitch bar you don't have to swap rims. The chains are too long to fit the other shorter bars so bigger gauge is not a huge problem.

Don

Cannon will make you a bar in .050 if you wish.

I do feel your pain - if I had it to do all over again, I'd buy all my bars in .063 so I could get by with two rolls of chain - full-comp and skip - rather than two kinds and two gauges...

Just so I don't have to change does anyone make a big bar in .050 gage?

If you are gonna run a 42" bar,,,,

The .063 chain is stronger & more durable and will stretrch less than the .050 if you stay with 3/8,,,,,,,, that way you wont have to change rim sprockets

or like was suggested go to 404,,, you have been given sound advice,,,, I have a 9010 and a 42" bar it pulls an 8 pin with 3/8 .063 fullskip,,,,in oak and other hardwoods no problem!!!!!!

It sounds like you are trying to keep the same chain stock across all saws. The problem is that on the 42" bar you should run skip for the chip clearance. You should think about running skip or semi skip with the 32". 24" is about the recommended maximum for full compliment chain.

If you stick with the 3/8" pitch bar you don't have to swap rims. The chains are too long to fit the other shorter bars so bigger gauge is not a huge problem.

Don

The 32 I'm running is a full comp and it pulled chips great with the bar almost completely buried in that 30 inch cherry tree, maybe 1 inch of bar on the other side, but chips were flying everywhere.

My Dolmar/Husky dealer doesn't recommend running skip on any bar 36 inch and smaller on big saws such as my 9010, and the 390, 395 and 3120.

Is their anything wrong with running one bar with a 63 gage chain and another bar with a 50. Will it screw up the rim or drivers on the other chains I run?

Cannon will make you a bar in .050 if you wish.

I do feel your pain - if I had it to do all over again, I'd buy all my bars in .063 so I could get by with two rolls of chain - full-comp and skip - rather than two kinds and two gauges...

Yes, but not possible here.....:)

Latest posts

Back