DONE with my local saw shop!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Roland

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Irmo, SC

They wanted my business they got it.
I bought, i broke, now i need a fix.

Why does it take 10 weeks to get a part for my climbing saw?!
Thats right, it doesnt.

Last time they had one of my saws 4 repair they threw in a free chain sharpening... :mad: that thing cut crookener a dogs hind leg pissin peach pits.

Imagine if we showed the same incompetence in our climbing work.

It's enuff to drive a man to the big box stores.

You and me both man. The reason everthing but my top-handled saws are the same brand is because the other brand's dealer in my area is horrible!

Stopped in to pick up some parts for my top-handle after dropping it out of a tree. The guy asked me if i was sure that was the model. I gave him a funny look but said that yeah, i was sure. Then he told me that that model is just a commercial saw and not many are around. Wanted me to bring it in so they could make sure it was the right model. I said ok, took it in the next day, they looked at it and said why don't you let us fix it. I was busy, so figured why not, save some time. Two weeks later, i call, see what's going on. They look and say the parts haven't been ordered yet. I flip. Don't use that saw often because i like bigger saws for removals, but had a bunch of pines coming up that i wanted the top-handle for. I told the dealer, listen, i'm a professional, i make my living with my saws, can't afford to have them down for long periods. He said ok, sorry, they'll get right on it. Call again a week later, what's the saw's status? Parts still not ordered. I really flip. Yell at them to give me the saw back. They can't because it's in pieces on the workbench, but they'll order the parts that night. Ok-need a top-handle so end up buying a used one off one of the guys on this site. Fixed the slight problems it had and used it-figured it could be a spare when/if i get my good one back. Four and a half weeks later (i'm not kidding), they call. Saw's done but they need a bar and chain so they can tune it up. I say don't you have a bar and chain a the shop they could just throw on it? No deal-had to either bring a bar and chain in, or buy them new. Told them never mind-i'll pick it up and tune it myself. No can do-they can't let it leave the shop till it's properly tuned. I am really po'd now-storm down there with a bar and chain and they tell me they will call when done. I say no way-i will stand over your guy and watch him tune that saw till he is done. They weren't happy, but at least i finally got my saw back. And the dealer tells me on the way out that guys like me are the reason he prefers dealing with homeowners-us professionals are just too demanding.

Good way to run a business.

I went to a saw shop once to get a gas gap for an ms192. Went up to the counter and asked if they had it in stock. The guy messed around there for about 5 or 10 minutes and said he didnt have one, would have to order one and it would be 2 weeks. He could have easily got one off of a new saw put it on my saw and waited on the other one to get in. That's the last time i went to that shop. Went to another shop up the road, he was sitting in a rolling chair behind the counter, i told him what i needed and he rolled to a cabinet and grabbed it out and said here ya go. Ive been going to that shop ever since and have always had great service there. They do anything they can to help ya out.

when they are good,they are bloody good

I used to deal alot with United Rentals in Anchorage Alaska,man they couldn't do enough to help you!Service was excellent and if they had to order anything in for you they'd get two"because you'll either break it or some one else will want one".I never took any saws there to be fixed,did it myself and they never gave me a hard time about that either.
Good people

I hear Ya . I have one shoip thatr can do most of my repairs they are fast and get partw ASAP . asAsk a fair price too.
If ican do it i took a few courseand practicecon beatup saws i buy for next to nothing somtimes resell . But
Ifyo udo need a part Try Baileys thy have most every thing . . I got a part for a old Husky 2100 in 3 days fixed up the beast and sold it fora tidy littel profitr did the same of a old Sthil 660 I got the new parts fixed it up cleaded it sold it for a nice vacation .

I have riun into those problesm too i orcder a few extra parts ,Bolts fule covers old tensioners for saws thatuse them . feule fiulters and air fiklters alongwith bulk spark plaugs and buld chain loops . Isave av bit on cash and have extra parts . . I think learing ot do simple repairw is really important . At least Ican keep on working well i am notas much thANKSto hack and underbidding

I went to a saw shop once to get a gas gap for an ms192. Went up to the counter and asked if they had it in stock. The guy messed around there for about 5 or 10 minutes and said he didnt have one, would have to order one and it would be 2 weeks. He could have easily got one off of a new saw put it on my saw and waited on the other one to get in. That's the last time i went to that shop. Went to another shop up the road, he was sitting in a rolling chair behind the counter, i told him what i needed and he rolled to a cabinet and grabbed it out and said here ya go. Ive been going to that shop ever since and have always had great service there. They do anything they can to help ya out.

the shop i go to is the same way, older loggers turned saw guys, they can pull part numbers out of the air, find unusual parts, and fairly quickly too. They cater to guys that use their saws everyday, if you walk in wearing your work gear, they pretty much drop the homeowner customers, grab the Pro guy his stuff, send him on his way and back to the homeowner. its much appreciated.

:rock: :rock:

We all talk of the advantages of being well connected. If you are looking to add a friend and happen to be looking for a fishing buddy, drinking partner, or just somebody to buy for and eat lunch with once in a while, a guy working in a saw shop ain t a bad choice.

This was posted elsewhere but in the vein of the topic....

"Repairs" to Echo CS 3400

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has safety implications hence my reasoning for posting it here....

Took my small saw into a local Stihl/Echo/Huskie dealer for what I thought would be a professional tune up (I have changed plugs filters etc but thought some attention beyond my capability as a small engine mechanic was due).

$138 later, and at the arena where I play hockey find out saw still does not run-no problems starting as before, but won't take throttle input. ( I was supposed to be doing some really minor pruning as a favour, about a half hour worth of time). Needless to say I was a little miffed, but minded my tongue when I returned to the dealer, saw in hand.

Service's solution-start it with the throttle locked full on!!!!!!!!!!! At this point I was kind of fed up with being called "young fella" (I am 47), being advised only to use new high test gas etc real condesending -I just looked at the goober behind the counter and calmly stated I doubt most climbers would do that up a tree, and that the saw was designed to be started at a low idle for safety reasons. I left saw in hand.

Can you imagine a reputable dealer suggesting the above after the customer had paid in full for a tune up?? They just lost any future business I might direct their way; I had bought a MS 290 from them some time ago.

Latest posts

Back