Dont Disturb a Migratory Bird

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Hi there, you wont believe this, but I was lining up a bush that I wanted to chop 30 or so Walnut trees out of.
Anyway I had to meet with the " Environmental Enforcement Officer", and was told I couldnt operate between May and August because I may disturb migratory birds.
Are these people on crack, or do they have their heads stuffed where the sun dont shine? This is only in one adjacent township, but in my mind this is the apidimy of hipocricy.
Should I scream loud and long, or should I just clearcut the ???? thing?
John

tell ya what go out and shoot one of those birds and make a hat out of it and then go up the officer if it is ok for you to cut hte trees down.

do what any sensible person does when they find protected animals on their property,

HUNT THEM TO EXTINCTION, KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM

then your property is yours again.

Otherwise the DNR might confiscate your land because animals are more important than people mind you.

You should maybe learn a bit before you shoot off like this. First Conservation Officers enforce the Migratory Bird Convention Act (and its accompanying regulations) in Ontario, and they are on strike. Secondly the act is in place to protect birds from people like you. Obviously you don't give a god ???? about anything by the looks of your post. Try thinking first.

Now if you want to intelligently discuss your predicament go ahead, I as an Ontario resident, arborist, forester, and former wildlife biologist, would be pleased to discuss the issue.

Michael

Hey Mr tree,

Maybe you should learn a little bit about the guys on this forum before you go spouting off from your high and mighty pulpit.

This is most likely a bit of fun about an obviously exasperating and situation. Just because there is a law doesn't make it a sensible one.

What's a strike got to do with anything?

John,

If they can't lock you up for it, or fine you more than the wood is worth to ya, I say try and get all thirty cut before they show up.

The problem is, now you can't plead ignorance.

Good luck!

Well it seems this isnt the first time in history that Mr Lambert has gotten himself in this predicament. First of all there was the "Golden Spruce" incident on Vancouver Island...then just recently I heard report of another incident...apparently there were a family of grizzlies living in a large Fir tree in Northern BC..that "accidently" got cut down..by one Mr Lambert...and also prior to that, was the widely publicized Spotted Owl incident where Mr Lambert was another instigator...Now I have heard that he is working on a plan to clearcut Spirit Island on Maligne Lake in Jasper National Park..the most photographed lake in the world..he reportedly has been offered in excess of 50,000 per tree...its people like this that makes these laws necessary...the "Migratory Bird Convention Act" is law and should be carried out in full...

Last edited:
Hey Dennis, I was hoping you wouldnt disclose my vivid past in the good ole days when I was a timber terrorist. But I gotta tell ya, that Golden Spruce sure pissed its roots when I walked up to it with that husky 2100.
However, I have turned over a new leaf since then and merrily romp thru the woods hugging trees and sampling the wild edibles that abound there.
Remember, all good loggers leave den trees, but then again what logger wants a dozy, punky, den riddled tree anyway?
I tossed around the idea of locking horns with Mr. Tree, but it appears he has it all figured out, so why would I waste my time and energy. After all, look at that grocery list of credentials he wears so proudly.
Im gonna clearcut me a bush.
The Timber Pig

What does the strike have to do with it?
Maybe, if the conservation officers were'nt on strike, they could be convinced that there were no nesting pairs present to be disturbed, and the timber harvest professional in question, who obviously has impeccable credentials (you do have a driver's license, tags on your truck, tax info since Moses was a pup, etc., dont you John?)

Anyway, If the conservation officers were available, a kind word may allow the selective harvest to proceed.

Laws protect us from each other, and sometimes even ourselves. But, laws should be administered fairly and eqitably by people who understand the situation, who understand the intent of the law.
Nobody likes the prune-faced schoolmaarm that says "no", just because that's the rules, hiding behind a faceless regulation, getting their jollies over the power it gives them.

Forgive me, but I will have to have a new home septic system installed soon, because the local authorities have lost my records. Without the certificate of compliance, I cannot obtain a permit to refurbish a rotting chickewn coop.
Yes, I'm a little miffed, too.

Hi There, yes rules can be very frustrating at times, especially rules that are arbitrary that are designed to impliment new laws.
Possibly a sign of a growing and encroaching population.
I decided I would ride this one out and co-operate with the officers as they cant change the rules, but can show the various loop holes to get around things with as little disruption as possible. It's been my finding that in this world there are different rules for different people. So I have found it better to be that different person and it pays off.
It may not be common sense to not cut timber close to a stick nest tree, hence the ruling, however timber harvesting is a disruptive activity to not only birds and animals, but also to the soil and undergrowth. Its the level of disruption that should be in question. Theres still alot of timber out there and I have personly managed over 1500 acres single handedly with a hand held saw.
I have also seen the benifits of sound practices of my work over the last 20 years with consideration to forest, wildlife, recreation and financial return.
This is why I think it ludicrist to put a kibosh on timber harvesting under the guise of protecting only migratory birds as though they had more reason to live than other flora or fauna.
Forest management is a very interesting subject and is about more than just trees, but I love doing all the steps involved, from marking the timber for harvest to marketing it for maximum dollar.
For those that wish to find out what kind of a creep I really am, please go to www.yukonjohn.ca
Thanks,
John

mrtree,

Hey if the loggers up in the northwest had it to do all over again with the spotted owl knowing what they know today. Every last one of them wouldve been shot out of the sky, hunted to extinction. Or ask some farmers (lookin to sell family farm) in northwest about the ???? fish that the government is protecting over their legal irrigation rights. Or how about the newest thing the conservationist (wacko's) people want. Since praire dog hunting is the most responsible way of controlling their populations the enviro's want to stop the merciless killing. The wacko's want the praire dog listed as a protected species. Guess what the some of the smart farmers (whom have learned from all that has transpired) are doing. They are poisoning entire dog towns whipping the entire populations out.

Some laws are just and needed, I however question any law that values animals above people. Besides shooting is just plain fun. All in all if the land is managed responsibly we dont need these Bulls@#t laws.

hey confused,

Stop foaming at the mouth or we'll have to put you down! (LOL) I agree that some of the regulations are way out of hand. I am in favor of conservation, the ones that scare me are the preservationists. As people we've messed up the planet pretty good, but some of these people seem to want to slam on the brakes and start driving in reverse. They were the same people screaming in the 70's "burn wood not oil" and in the eighties use plastic not wood. Now we have landfills filled with non biodegradables. I think now it is "certified wood", what a joke!Did you hear about the tree hugging freak who fell out of the tree she was sitting in and died? The worst thing about it was the protest was already over as the "crunchies" she was working for had already sold her out and come to a mutual timber harvest plan with the timber company the week before. Morons who have no concept of reality and no real workable plan for the future.

I'm in favor of helping out critters (not chipmunks) if we can but you hit the nail on the head when it comes to putting people in the equation somewhere. Maybe the green groups can cough up some $$ everytime they put a worker out of a job?

You know. my Dad told me one time, that it was easier to pick a buger than a bale of cotten...wait a minute, I'm on the wrongforum... sorry.:confused:

Well just be glad you guys arent messin with the D.E.C cops in N.Y
Screw with them, and its your ass in a sling big time. :D My advice would be to get the thinning or clearing O.K. in writing before bustin out the saw. Federal and State regulations are getting tighter every year.

Sounds like mrtree has it all figured out, he probably knows the very trees that you were going to cut with all his experience and education. ( I think they teach that in "former wildlife biologist" school) If I was you John, I would talk very nicely and maybe thru his love of all things natural and his deeper understanding of the ecosystem he could help all of us understand the reasons for rules that those of us that are in the woods cannot understand. Either that or maybe he could pull some strings with his former buddies and get them to allow you to sensibly harvest a renewable recource? Who knows, but it's nice to know that guys like mrtree are around to keep us straight if we want to intelligently discuss our predicament.

Renewable resource is right. Look at the Red Wood forest that the government protects. What a waste of a resource. From what I have read and been told, there are about 1,000,000 acres of the giant trees that are protected. An also it takes 1,000 years for a red wood to mature. If we harvest 1,000 acres pre year we would never run out of mature trees to harvest. Just think of how much wood is in one of those trees, are we just supposed to let them die and rot, what a waste that would be.

All right im done now. You guys should’ve seen the looks in my classmates faces when I said that in my philosophy class.

Back