Don't do this.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
Use a dremel tool or other high speed drill to make a hole; better relief, less pain. Go real slow so as to not heat up your fingernail. Slow and gentle just makes it feel better, not worse.

You can go too deep with a hot-poker, and I can guarantee that you won't feel better after you do that to yourself!

Either way you do it, relieving the pressure and draining the blood also saves a lot of healing time on your damaged nail. If you are lucky, the original skin will re-attach to the bottom of your nail, and the nail never falls off.
(I had a toenail injured so bad, I had to get fiberglass repair kits to keep the nail from cracking in two halves. Been about 5 years now, and that nail still isn't normal...

promac850

promac850

formerly promac610
May be common knowledge, but taking a cherry hot sewing needle to the nail will burn thru and release the blood spot , and save the
nail from coming off. Larry

Didn't know that at the time. Also forgot to mention it is was more on the edge of the nail... not square in the middle. Blood spot was small, about 1/4" by 1/4" or a little bigger. Still hurt though... :censored::censored:

I will keep the hot needle idea in mind... it will likely become handy someday.

Use a dremel tool or other high speed drill to make a hole; better relief, less pain. Go real slow so as to not heat up your fingernail. Slow and gentle just makes it feel better, not worse.

You can go too deep with a hot-poker, and I can guarantee that you won't feel better after you do that to yourself!

Either way you do it, relieving the pressure and draining the blood also saves a lot of healing time on your damaged nail. If you are lucky, the original skin will re-attach to the bottom of your nail, and the nail never falls off.
(I had a toenail injured so bad, I had to get fiberglass repair kits to keep the nail from cracking in two halves. Been about 5 years now, and that nail still isn't normal...

It healed good as it was closer to the edge of the nail...

I will keep that Dremel idea and the hot poker/sewing needle in mind for a future square in the middle nail smacking.

As for your toenail, ouch, what fell on it?

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
Nothing. I tripped over a bicycle in 2006, then fell among a bunch of mowers. Somewhere along the line, my big toe took a serious whoopin'. I have only gotten it back into one piece in the last year, and 1/2 of it is still not attached to the "quick" beneath the nail.

It doesn't bother me any, but it sure is ugly.

It does still bother me that I didn't fire my useless mechanic at the time for parking it where he did. Hindsight is 20/20, you know...

Last edited:
promac850

promac850

formerly promac610
Nothing. I tripped over a bicycle in 2006, then fell among a bunch of mowers. Somewhere along the line, my big toe took a serious whoopin'. I have only gotten it back into one piece in the last year, and 1/2 of it is still not attached to the "quick" beneath the nail.

It doesn't bother me any, but it sure is ugly.

It does still bother me that I didn't fire my useless mechanic at the time for parking it where he did. Hindsight is 20/20, you know...

You got that right about hindsight... I figured out ways I could've avoided almost every fricking injury that I can recall that happened to me.

Latest posts