Don't know which size Stihl to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spillway

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to site. Every time I have goggled a question they was a link to this site with some interesting discussion. It took awhile but the light bulb finally went on and thought I would join this site.

I am looking to buy a new Stihl. I'm a homeowner who burns 11-12 cords of wood a year. I don't cut wood for a living but I m willing to buy a pro model if it is worth it. I bought a used 029 w/16" bar last year and love the saw. I would like to buy a saw w/20" bar,power,and good on fuel consumption. Hate to admit it but I'm getting to an age where wood cutting and carrying can wear me out,so anti-vibration and weight is something I'm also considering.

I really wish you could go to a dealer and they would have some logs and demo saws you could try. I'm hoping some of you have different size saws and would like to give your opinion.

Thanks

Don't know what kind of money you want to spend but my experience has been running the 260 pro, 270 and the 440, all good saws, 260 pro my favorite, and all can take a 20" bar. The money is a big difference. The 270 is around $450, the 260 pro around $570 and the 441 (440 is no longer made) around $900. Cutting 10+ cords a year would require a good saw and any of the above are good saws. The 3 series, in between the 2 series and the 4 series, may be good saws but I don't know anyone personally that runs them. :cheers:

Prices can be viewed here.
http://www.stihldealer.net/categoryinfo-dealer-_nya4ea-toplvl-2-catid-2.aspx
These are around me and may be different where you are.

Hi I'm new to site. Every time I have goggled a question they was a link to this site with some interesting discussion. It took awhile but the light bulb finally went on and thought I would join this site.

I am looking to buy a new Stihl. I'm a homeowner who burns 11-12 cords of wood a year. I don't cut wood for a living but I m willing to buy a pro model if it is worth it. I bought a used 029 w/16" bar last year and love the saw. I would like to buy a saw w/20" bar,power,and good on fuel consumption. Hate to admit it but I'm getting to an age where wood cutting and carrying can wear me out,so anti-vibration and weight is something I'm also considering.

I really wish you could go to a dealer and they would have some logs and demo saws you could try. I'm hoping some of you have different size saws and would like to give your opinion.

Thanks

Some dealers do. If you're set on Stihl (nothing wrong if you are) maybe hunt around for different dealers in your area. Someone should have some demo models available. If that's a no-go, there should be other members in your area who might be able to meet up with you. Someone must still have an un-modded saw somewhere...:hmm3grin2orange:

Eleven-12 cords is quite a bit of wood per year. You could easily justify a pro grade saw. If you like the 029, you'd love an 026/260 or an ms261. If you're looking for a single saw to do it all, the ms361 is hard to beat-and my favorite stihl, though discontinued and replaced by the ms 362. If you're not totally set on stihl, the husqvarna 562xp is getting great reviews from lots of folks on this site that have worlds of experience. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

36 series is just plain tough to beat. Havent run a 362 yet but 360/361 great power to weight ratio, pull a 20" chain all day long. Having said that, 440 pulls it better........ 660 with a twenty and it takes two days just get the smile off my face.....oops CAD kicked in again.

Thanks to all. From what I'm hearing I think I'm going to go into the pro models. It's sounds like I should go with the ms261 or the ms362. I looked at the specs for both. Stihl recommends a16 bar on the ms261. Does that tell me it will bog down on me with a 20" bar? I ask that because when my buddy and I are cutting together I run thru the logs quicker than him and I blame that on 20" bar on his ms290. He bogs down a couple of times thru a log where I go straight thru with my 029 with a 16" bar.

I would like a saw that's going to do everything. My favorite wood is locust. I would like to have a saw that when I lay it on a locust it just falls down thru like it was a piece of maple. Correct me if I'm wrong , it's sounds like I'm looking at 362 or bigger.

Yes I am set on the stihl brand. I do hear people saying good things about husqvarna but do they have a track record that shows the test of time?

Stihl/husky = chevy/ford Both make good products. Individual models of each brand shine in different catagories. For what you say you will be doing, you will like the 362, and will love a 441. I guess you can call me a stihl man more for the dealer network than the saws themselves. Keep in mind, a pro grade saw will likely be the last saw you ever buy with your use, so a little more spent now will pay off in the long run.

Long story short, drink cheap beer, live on ramen for a month, and get ya a 441c-m. Never tune a carb again, and you'll cut your cuttin time in half.

Find a H372 used. Make sure compression is good and you can pick one up for 4-500 in decent shape, Or buy new for 8XX. Saw is DA BALLZ. The other saws mentioned are great, but when I'm cutting on a pile and I'd like to have a tad more displacement.

. . .I think I'm going to go into the pro models. It's sounds like I should go with the ms261 or the ms362. . . I run thru the logs quicker than him and I blame that on 20" bar on his ms290. . . .I would like a saw that's going to do everything. My favorite wood is locust. I would like to have a saw that when I lay it on a locust it just falls down thru like it was a piece of maple. . . .

First off, welcome to A.S.!

Going with a 'Pro' saw is a good choice if the additional cost is not an issue.

In simple terms, the length of the bar is not really related to cutting speed, unless the whole bar is buried in the wood. Then, a 20 inch bar needs more power to cut than a 16 inch bar. Bar length also affects the weight balance of a saw. So you really want a saw/bar/chain combination that works well together.

Think about the largest diameter logs you plan to cut on a regular basis, and start with a bar length from there. Then take a look at which powerheads are matched to that length bar. If you really want a high powered cutting, go with the larger powerhead if there is a choice between the two. Note that 'larger' also means 'heavier' which means 'more tiring to use' (e.g. 'wear you out' faster). And learning to keep a chain sharp is what will really keep you cutting faster.

If you hang around this site for any length of time, you will quickly see that most guys that do much cutting have more than one saw. So it would not be unreasonable for you to get a larger saw with a longer bar for some stuff and trade off with your 029 for smaller stuff.

The newer model saws, STIHL and Husqvarna both, are better on fuel use, due to the EPA. The newer models are also better on vibration dampening. If that is a key concern of yours, you might want to use the 'Search' feature on this site and look at comments regarding the STIHL MS362, MS441, and MS461, along with the Husqvarna 562XP, and 576XP. Some of these are getting to be big saws, but with a sharp chain, you should be able to set them on a log and let the saw do the work.

Philbert

Thanks to all. From what I'm hearing I think I'm going to go into the pro models. It's sounds like I should go with the ms261 or the ms362. I looked at the specs for both. Stihl recommends a16 bar on the ms261. Does that tell me it will bog down on me with a 20" bar? I ask that because when my buddy and I are cutting together I run thru the logs quicker than him and I blame that on 20" bar on his ms290. He bogs down a couple of times thru a log where I go straight thru with my 029 with a 16" bar.

I would like a saw that's going to do everything. My favorite wood is locust. I would like to have a saw that when I lay it on a locust it just falls down thru like it was a piece of maple. Correct me if I'm wrong , it's sounds like I'm looking at 362 or bigger.

Yes I am set on the stihl brand. I do hear people saying good things about husqvarna but do they have a track record that shows the test of time?

You are right ,that Locust can be hard to cut I say you need a step above the 362 and get a saw like a 441 or in that 70 CC range the 362 is a waste of money compared to the 441 believe me.

My experience is Tree Service owner operator since 1974.

I own a 261 bought it in october of last year have cut 10 or more cords of firewood with it so far it cuts fast and is a good overall saw.As far as the weight and balance and anti-vibes go it works good for me I will be 59 years old in october so it is easier on the body than a bigger saw.That said I also have a 441,460 and a 066.If the wood is large enough I use them in bigger wood but untill you get to 20+ inches it is still easier to use the 261 I keep a 16" bar on the 261 for balance and ease of handling I keep a shorter bar on all my saws than most people run.the 261 has a 16" 441and 460 have 20" and the 066 a 24" bar with that bar lenght I also run an 8 pin sprocket to increase chain speed.If the wood gets big enough I can run up to 36".But most wood I would rather cut both sides of the tree than carry the longer bar around.
My son-in-law owns a 361 and I have used it but for the weight and handling I like the 261 if a 2 saw plan is an option I love the 261 and either the 460 or 441.That said this winter while cutting 7 cords of wood up 22" in diamiater I have used almost all the time the 261.
As far as Husky saws I have worked on them for other people and been around them they compare well with Stihl but are no dealers in the area so I tend to use only Stihl.

With the amount you cut you will never be able to wear out any of the saws mentioned in your lifetime, assuming good gas. If it's Stihl or nothing, and you already have a 29, I would look at the MS362 or the MS391. 362 is a better saw, but the 391 will do exactly what you want for as long as you want for less money. MS441 would be out of my personal firewood budget

The amount of knowledge and experience is incredible! Thanks!

What it really sounds like is that anybody who loves to cut wood is never going to be happy until they own one of every saw. Sounds like an addiction. What is CAD?

Sounds like I need a saw that will best fit my needs for the time being or one that fills the void of the 029.

Chainsaw addiction disorder
Is CAD.
Im gonna throw my vote on a 441.
Their a hell of a saw and would pull a 28" bar ifit had to

Sent from me to you using my fingers

Last edited:
I would go with the 362 for the extra hp. its not that the 261 wont run a 20" bar, it just wont do it as fast. to be honest, the 261 will run a 20" bar fine. its all about cut speed here.

Chainsaw addiction disorder. My wife wants to know if there are meds for it?

Chainsaw Addiction Disorder. My wife wants to know if there are meds for it. She said it might be cheaper for us to start burning oil again.

362 will pull 20" fine. For a 2 saw plan, 029 + 441 is ideal for firewood.
Anyways, if you stick around, you will have plenty of saws soon enough.
I like the 6 saw plan: 200T, 260, 361, 440, 660 and 880... Plus a few others just in case. That's what CAD is about...

Latest posts

Back