double wall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shine

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does double wall stove pipe in the interior of the house draw better than single wall? The reason I ask is my neighbors stove sometimes back drafts and my stove couldn't draw better. I have double wall he has single.

when you say double wall.. Are you saying two layers of pipe with air flowing between? Or are they insulated? as in a class A pipe.
Anyhow. the reason that a double wall or class A pipe will draw better is because the interior pipe stays warmer. Hotter the pipe the better the draft.

Two equal installs? Then yes, the double wall will draft better. Other than reduced clearances, the only reason to use double wall is for this superior draft. The heat people seem to love radiating from their single wall pipe is heat that will stay inside the double wall and power the draft engine.

Lots of other reasons that your neighbors could have crappy chimneys.

I used to get some smoke spill into my house on very windy days. THe wind hit the roof and pressured my chimney...not good. By adding 18 inches of pipe to the top of my stack it completely stopped doing it!

Have your neighbor put more pipe on his stack, it'll draw better and get it out of the wind planning off your roof.

Back