Down that road again - 361 oiler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Slicker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last time my ms361 was not oiling I took it to the dealer. This time I want to try something different. I remember reading a post about a better oiler to install on this saw? Interested in learning more and if someone one here does this mod along with the muffler modification? Thanks!

I remember the post. I think that the oil pump for a 440 will interchange as well as the pump pistons. Check it out though.

Look up the post made by Windthrown. He is the member who posted the info. It is posted on his thread for 361 owners.

make the dealer fix it right and tell them if its not fixed right that you want your money back so you can take your buisness elsewhere. that is if you bought the saw new

if you bought it used retrofit something better if that doesnt work sale that thing for a golden 500 bucks and get something difrent maybe orange maybe 70cc saw.

notice i didnt say get something better, just difrent. ive yet to see a 044/440 oiler not work these might be a good replacment saw

Do you know why it won't oil???

Are the internal parts fitting too tight? Is that the same basic design as the MS 390 oiler? if so it should be easy to fix.
EDIT: yeah its the same...do you understand the whole concept behind how they work? If so you can drive out the roll pin and make sure the cam was ground right, and the piston is ok, and that the helical end of piston is in proper orientation to oil end. If you want, you can send it here and I'll fix it. Oh. and make sure the piston actually slides.

Last edited:
Is it not oiling at all? Or just not enough for what you think it should be oiling.

The 361 was designed to not use as much oil as earlier model saws... you should be using about 1/2 to 2/3rds of a tank of oil to a tank of fuel with oiler set at max output.

If you are running short bars under 20" or less... your oiler is prolly workin' just fine set at max.

Unless... like I said... it's not oiling AT ALL.

Gary

The 460 oil pump mod:

Some people have had issues with low output from 361 oil pumps. I have not had any problems with oil pumps myself, except using a 361 with a 28 inch bar. After some use with the oil pump set to full, the 28 inch bar is blueing top and bottom near the sprocket tip mounts (Stihl ES bar) and the paint is burning off in these places as well.

You can replace the 361 oil pump with the full 460R (full wrap) high capacity oil pump assembly for about about $85. The Stihl part number is:

1128 640 3250 oil pump assembly

You can also keep the 361 oil pump and just replace the piston and control bolt with the 460R parts. The Stihl part numbers for these are:

1128 647 0602 oil pump piston (about $27)
1128 647 4803 oil pump control bolt (about $4)

Back