DR 10Ton "Dual Action" Electric Splitter Review/Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Debrief: wanted an electric splitter to replace a long toothed 22 ton gas and an 11 year old 5 ton DR electric that's still performing.

DR 10 Ton Dual Electric

Pros:
Nice ergonomics--height, tables for splits angled and wide.
Operation simple, well designed handle.
"Dual action" wedge does the job, saving time.
The 10 T splits everything the larger tonnage gas did: crotches, stringy, knots.
DR customer support is exceptional--a pin in the valve holding the handle fell out ( QC ). A completely new valve ass'y was overnighted!

Cons:

SLOOOWW. The one direction average cycle time actual splitting is 25 seconds to 29 seconds. (Specs in the DR lit are "21 seconds". My error thinking this meant both directions. )

No auto return on pump or valve.

1.5hp motor has a loud whine (minor whine :confused2: ).

No response from DR ( 3 contacts w support ) about why the cycle time is so slow ( unusual ), or whether or not it could have been increased @ 110v. Are you there Mike Moriarty ?

Yes, DR has the "6 Month Trial". I'm on our 2nd cord--Red Maple, Paper Birch, Ash, Red Oak, Apple .

SuperSplit electric was too $$$$. The Ramsplitter construction with exposed top hydraulic hoses too near the precious face was a concern; I've had hoses burst on me with other rigs. :eek2:

Axe Man

Axe Man

ArboristSite Operative
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread.......Bought a DR gas 15 ton duel splitter 1 month ago and because of work and lousy weather have only just managed to get the 5 hour break in time on it. Just finished doing the first oil change.
Was going to write a similar review after more extensive use, but to reply to your post quickly....

I agree with your positive comments. Haven't had anything this splitter won't split. Have had some pretty twisted apple and yellow birch that was split without any slowing down of the engine. In some cases the piece slipped and ended up being cut cross grain.
The table is great....can put two medium sized pieces on it or manouver some large ( 24"+ ) very easily.
Starts easy with 1 pull.
Because of its short length it's easy to tow with the atv through the bush
Cycle time: I've only had use of 3 splitters in the past. A homemade hydrolic, a Wallenstein 20 ton and a splitfire 20 ton. The DR duel is way faster than the Wallenstein but not quite as fast as the splitfire. Have not timed the cycle yet but will post later today.
In short... so far at 5 hours use I dont have any major complaints and at $1000 dollars less than splitfire it's well worth the money.
Question: the pump on this splitter is small ( 3.17 GPM ). Will putting an 11 GPM pump on it increase the cycle time?

logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread.......Bought a DR gas 15 ton duel splitter 1 month ago and because of work and lousy weather have only just managed to get the 5 hour break in time on it. Just finished doing the first oil change.
Was going to write a similar review after more extensive use, but to reply to your post quickly....

I agree with your positive comments. Haven't had anything this splitter won't split. Have had some pretty twisted apple and yellow birch that was split without any slowing down of the engine. In some cases the piece slipped and ended up being cut cross grain.
The table is great....can put two medium sized pieces on it or manouver some large ( 24"+ ) very easily.
Starts easy with 1 pull.
Because of its short length it's easy to tow with the atv through the bush
Cycle time: I've only had use of 3 splitters in the past. A homemade hydrolic, a Wallenstein 20 ton and a splitfire 20 ton. The DR duel is way faster than the Wallenstein but not quite as fast as the splitfire. Have not timed the cycle yet but will post later today.
In short... so far at 5 hours use I dont have any major complaints and at $1000 dollars less than splitfire it's well worth the money.
Question: the pump on this splitter is small ( 3.17 GPM ). Will putting an 11 GPM pump on it increase the cycle time?

Fine review Axe for the 15T gas model.
The pump on my electric DR is spec-ed @ 1.58 GPM; so, slower than gas. Your 1-way cycle according to DR is 11 seconds, 1/2 of mine. Though DR specifies the electric cycle @ 21 sec, it's more 25-30 in real time splitting 12" to 20" dia butts.

DR machines are well built, priced for value, and well engineered for home use; you're right.

I've asked DR 3X that question about a higher cap. pump for the electric for a faster cycle.....no reply. It could be that the 1.5hp motor can't handle that. The Ramsplitter with a similar motor has a 12 sec cycle on 110v. And, the SuperSplit electric uses a 1.5hp also. "Hello Mike !" ( Project Mgr @ DR and AS sponsor )

logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
One thing I like about the DR electric is that they offer a conversion kit for $300 to go from electric to a gas motor (or vice versa).
Don <><

They do Don. Butt with the same pump on the elcetric the gas can't speed up the cycle time ( unless I'm dead wrong :confused:). The gas version has a faster pump ( DR doesn't say if the higher capacity pump comes with the gas conversion ).

I wanted electric as you've found for the convenience of splitting whenever, not starting and stopping a gas engine. Quiet also.

The SuperSplit electric would have been the first choice but for the $$$$. The electric Ramsplitter build with top exposed hydraulic hoses concerned me.

Latest posts