dragging equip. over branches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Everybody must drag the stuff hanging on their belts over the branches. Things getting stuck, your feet getting stuck in the ropes and your chainsaw dropping to the end of the lanyard. What have you learned in your experiences about becoming more efficient at this.

My only main issue really is my handsaw scabbard and saw. The saw will catch those boxy edges (MS200T), and the handsaw will catch up on nearly anything. Either the branch will wedge between the saw handle and the top of the scabbard, or it will just plain get pinched between a twig and the limb. I just keep aware of where my gear is at, and when needed, I'll pull the saw up over the limb by hand. Usually an issue mostly when descending and the saw drops over one side of the branch, and you, the other.

My cutting partner has stated many time that a lanyard gets in the way in a tree. He just puts his saw in the clip and keeps it close by when up in a tree.

I hate the clips on those hooks. I think it took me all of a few weeks of climbing with my new saddle before I ripped the gates off those snap hooks. Easy on, easy off. (Sometimes too easy :p)

if ascending on the spikes i clip my line to the back of the belt keeping it out of the way of my feet. also just in general when i am going up try to find the path of least resistance so that i do not get too tangled up.

also i try to spread the tools out on my belt. IE handsaw on the left clip climbing saw on the right clip, that way i am not battling with either when i am reaching for one of them. all biner and slings go on the backside left loop and what ever else i need to biner to (pole saw, tool bucket for cabling, whatever.) goes on the backside right clip. the back middle clip holds my biner and pirana (which i rarely if ever use but is there just in case out of the way)

one thing for sure i absolutely hate about my silky sugio is the handle. that mofo catches anything and everything. sure its a nice blade but the handle sucks.

one little trick i finally figured out with my rope though is that i will coil it up as if i am putting it away and then wrap it twice and pull a loop through and then attach that loop to my accessory biner i put on my bunsen seat. the rope will hang only as far as the amount of slack gave it before looping it to your belt. that way when you finally do get up to your TIP you can throw it down the tree and into the best descending spot you find. this works great for when you are riding the crane to the choker point. set the choke throw your rope and descend to the cutting spot.

also just be aware of how much area you actually cover when in the tree and that should help you with getting hung up anywhere. that comes with experience and time spent in the tree.

good luck bud.

Ekka came up with a saw hook for the harness that works incredibly well. All of my guys use it and just love it. Thanks again Ekka. Pete

Instead of using a lanyard, I have as short as possible a clip on the back of the climbing saws so that they hang as high as possible off of the ring on my saddle.

Webbing loops get wadding up into daisy chains one per biner, so they can't hook anything, unless I need more than a few and then they go into a little gear bag along with the biners and pulleys.

And yeah-the sugoi handle seems like it was designed to be grabbed out of the scabbard by limbs, whether it's on your leg or belt.

I like oldirty carry my hand saw in the scabbard and a folding saw on the opposite side of the chainsaw which hangs at my calf.
I would say the corners or the chainsaw get caught the most needing me to use needed strength to reach back and sometimes ascend a bit to free it. Then there is the boots getting tangled in the rope or a lanyard. I carry a 10' lanyard on the chainsaw side and 30' lanyard on the other along with the tail of the rope makes for some luggage.
Bunching and taking the tail with me would work in some trees but I don't have a problem pulling it up to drop down on it. It's a good excuse to take a break and get my focus tuned.
Returning to the truck in the middle of a climb is something I hadn't considered. But sure. I thought the ascent was always going to be a torturous event but actually it's really not that bad. I am a trunk walker though. Haven't had to fl too much yet so I don't.
I have a pair of old spikes I got on ebay for ten bucks but have yet to use them.

Ekka came up with a saw hook for the harness that works incredibly well. All of my guys use it and just love it. Thanks again Ekka. Pete
Got a pic or the link to the thread. I've seen the thread but don't remember it.
Webbing loops get wadding up into daisy chains one per biner, so they can't hook anything, unless I need more than a few and then they go into a little gear bag along with the biners and pulleys.

Same here with the redirects.

I will try to remember to get a pic of my chainsaw lanyard setup. It's a short strap on the chainsaw. And a longer strap on my belt loop ending in a dog clip . While I climb it's hooked through the strap on the saw and clipped onto the ring. When I cut it is full length.

adrpk thats alot of flipline you got going on. lol

chainsaw lanyard....i love them bungee ones man. love em. mini biner the end ring of the bungee to the main tool attachment ring on the Dragonfly and use a caritool to clip the secong ring of the bungee lanyard to the saddle (on the caritool). that way when not in use its right there on the back of my hip out of the way. let it hang when the occasion arises. i hate running my 2hunge in the tree when its not attached to my belt.

i got a couple pics in another thread of my set up.

I hate the clips on those hooks. I think it took me all of a few weeks of climbing with my new saddle before I ripped the gates off those snap hooks. Easy on, easy off. (Sometimes too easy :p)

What hooks? Those little dog collar things?
Short strap on the saw straight to my hip... think Mr eastwood was fast on the draw.
I don't take a handsaw along cause I NEVER GET MY REAL SAW STUCK... That's right never.

What hooks? Those little dog collar things?
Short strap on the saw straight to my hip... think Mr eastwood was fast on the draw.
I don't take a handsaw along cause I NEVER GET MY REAL SAW STUCK... That's right never.

The accessory clips that came on my saddle had gates on them, and requires you clipping the saw into, and out of the clip. Very annoying especially when wearing a few pairs of gloves in the winter for climbing. So I ripped em off!

I just use the plain jane 2 n 1 chainsaw lanyard. Snap end goes onto the loop where I keep my handsaw (no saws falling out of trees), and the loop on the lanyard gets hung off the clip on my hip. Easy.

You dont bring a handsaw? So you make 2" cuts and smaller all with a chainsaw? Hell, I carry hand pruners in my scabbard as well for those unsightly broken twigs. Sometimes you just gotta be that picky. :)

JeffL I ment a ladder clip thats attatched to his saddle for a saw. Those small clips on a saddle get used for small hand tools sometimes and thats about it.

JeffL I ment a ladder clip thats attatched to his saddle for a saw. Those small clips on a saddle get used for small hand tools sometimes and thats about it.

Iguess those hooks with the flat piece to act as a lock? They suck, wouldn't put then on my dog. Wouldn't use no plastic caribiner either.
I use no lanyard on any saw. Sure I let a few 20's go and you know what I do? Get another sent up pronto and send the busted one to the shop, if they can't fix it I get a new one AND WHO DON"T LOVE A NEW 20! F it.

adrpk thats alot of flipline you got going on. lol

i got a couple pics in another thread of my set up.

Ahdirty, you and your Boston boys and girls are always welcome to come over and show me the right way to do it. :bringit: Why don't you guys organize a car trip and stay the weekend. Saturday at spike60's gtg and Sunday down the street and my place.

How about a hint as to where that thread be?

i use a fiskars folding saw i got at the big box store.... it has a hole in the base of the blade when folded. so i girth hitched a 7" chainsaw strap to one of my accessory rings and clip/unclip my saw when needed. the little saw has one heck of a life and hangs the same length as my straps(see below).

chainsaws are always a hassle in the tree, even when i bust out the little 192 i still get limbs brushing against it. sometimes i will get strap and biner my saws to a limb wwhen i dont need it for awhile.

for my straps i let the 24"s hang down and put an overhand not on the longer opnes, then put both ends on the biner.

Latest posts

Back