drama in our area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blewgrass

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
article

Not really sure where I stand on this. The trees need trimming, but they're doing a pretty bad job, but the trees are crappy roadside weeds for the most part, but they're still trees, etc. It always makes me mad to see the big names getting the contracts and locals being passed over.

it can be a problem of insurance most municipalities and utility line companys require a 2 million dollar policy, as far as i know most smaller companys have a one million dollar policy. and the cut in the picture looks like a powered pole saw cut, plus line clearance workers may not be as worried about their "company image" when making their cuts... something a small business' arborist might

Most require bonding too. Most of the trimmers are just doing a job and dont care about what they are doing. I do line clearence, but work on a danger tree crew. We like to have a little pride in our work.

article

Not really sure where I stand on this. The trees need trimming, but they're doing a pretty bad job, but the trees are crappy roadside weeds for the most part, but they're still trees, etc. It always makes me mad to see the big names getting the contracts and locals being passed over.

Little companies can't afford to bid with them , they work cheap cheap cheap, We hire Asplunger to clear the" Mad " area of the wires and its well worth it they are cheap

In our area, maybe Clearance can add more light to this, but I hear that BC Hydro, which has been putting out smaller contracts so locals could bid is consolidating their contracts into huge regional contracts that only the large (Asplundh/Davey) companies have the capability to bid on.

So unless, the companies who get these contracts sub out some of the work to the smaller guys, we see a lot more competition in the residential side in the near future.

I understand they are doing this because it is easier for BC Hydro to manage and control.

In our area, maybe Clearance can add more light to this, but I hear that BC Hydro, which has been putting out smaller contracts so locals could bid is consolidating their contracts into huge regional contracts that only the large (Asplundh/Davey) companies have the capability to bid on.

So unless, the companies who get these contracts sub out some of the work to the smaller guys, we see a lot more competition in the residential side in the near future.

I understand they are doing this because it is easier for BC Hydro to manage and control.

Another scummy move by BC Hydro, they encouraged lots of people to get into it and buy equipment, now they pull this. Bean counters and scissor-bills running that show, it will bite them in the azz. They think they know it all, and have been on a constant trip of Jewing everyone for years.

But, when you have accountants and conslutants who have never worked (really worked, not slinking around the hallways drinking coffee (thanks slowp)), thats what you get.

"Integrity" "openness" "transparency" "fairness" are just words to them. A few good people there, and I mean that, but lots of culls, lots. :dizzy:

Its true, and it ain't a private company, it is owned by the province. Makes me puke.

Back