Drop starting saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You drop start your chain saws:

• Always, every time, no matter what

Votes: 174 38.7%
  • Mostly (unless the safety boss is around)

Votes: 51 11.3%
  • Usually (unless I am feeling guilty or safety minded)

Votes: 54 12.0%
  • Sometimes (only when the dang thing will not start)

Votes: 53 11.8%
  • Rarely (only when the mother-in-law is in town)

Votes: 51 11.3%
  • Never, every time, no matter what

Votes: 64 14.2%
  • Other (I let someone else start my saws)

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters
I always dropstart, I am left handed and hold the top bar with the left and pull with the right. My saws don't need anything else. Sometimes the hotsaws at work need some throttle if a fng floods them out, in that case I hold the handles with the throttle in and let the culprit do the pulling!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I'm lefty too, but I pull the cord with my left. Haven't found a saw that I can't do that way yet except the old Titan 2 man saw

I always dropstart, I am left handed and hold the top bar with the left and pull with the right. My saws don't need anything else. Sometimes the hotsaws at work need some throttle if a fng floods them out, in that case I hold the handles with the throttle in and let the culprit do the pulling!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I am the same way, except if there is a culprit, it is usually me.

How high do you have to drop it from to start it? I tried dropping it from a standing position with no luck. I tried dropping it from a step stool, and that didn't work either. I tried from a step ladder, but it still wouldn't fire. I was thinking maybe I should try from up on top of the house, but I'm afraid I'll break my saw if I drop it from that high. I think I'll just stick to pulling the rope that's attached to that little black handle on the side of the saw.

How high do you have to drop it from to start it? I tried dropping it from a standing position with no luck. I tried dropping it from a step stool, and that didn't work either. I tried from a step ladder, but it still wouldn't fire. I was thinking maybe I should try from up on top of the house, but I'm afraid I'll break my saw if I drop it from that high. I think I'll just stick to pulling the rope that's attached to that little black handle on the side of the saw.

Yep, you are supposed to drop the saw, but to hold that little black handle, it won't work otherwise :p

The store where I bought my saw said that that it would easily cut 50 trees down a day, I tried & tried & the best I could ever get down was 6 a day, finally I took it back to the shop & said "this saw is hopeless! There's no way it will cut down 50 trees a day!" the guy in the store said " I'll take you out go the back & you can test it on a log, here give me the saw I'll drop start it for you!" I give it to him & next minute the saws going Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I yell out to the guy " what the hell is that terrible noise coming out of the saw?"
Tanks

Latest posts

Back