Drop starts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrench

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Pros,

I am a self/manual/video/book taught chainsaw user. I always adhere to the safety recommendation of never drop starting a chainsaw. However, I have watched more than one pro arborist drop start. Not that I want to drop start my saws but I am curious if it is a common practice among pros? If it is, is it because pros are experienced enough with saw use that the practice is safe?

With a warm saw that you are familiar with and know what you are doing it appears safe enough. Any saw in untrained (and trained) hands is dangerous though. Use common sense....if you're not comfortable drop starting a saw then don't do it.

scrench said:
Pros,

I am a self/manual/video/book taught chainsaw user. I always adhere to the safety recommendation of never drop starting a chainsaw. However, I have watched more than one pro arborist drop start. Not that I want to drop start my saws but I am curious if it is a common practice among pros? If it is, is it because pros are experienced enough with saw use that the practice is safe?

Start a saw however you're most comfortable doing it.

I drop start a lot of saws. But if my arms start to get tired after doing it all day i switch over to the crotch style start, which I actually prefer and it lowers my chances of devloping sever tendonitis as i go. If I'm yarding on an old or wierd saw I do those on the ground, especially old right hand pull saws.

Scrench

If the saw is warm / previously ran, and will start at low idle, start it with the chain-brake engaged in just about any position you want.

Not thinking may account for a vast majority of injuries? But there is a way to be safe, and efficient.

chain brake

if the chain brake is on drop starting is not that big an issue but above all do what you feel good doing and do it safe...if you get tired to the point you need to change what you do everyday then you are to tired to be using teh saw when its running

I almost always drop start my saw, I've never done it any other way. It just seemed the natural way to do it. I didn't think of it as dangerous till I started reading here. If I have trouble starting and it needs more pulls than normal, I put it on the ground and try to get the edge of my boot onto the bottom of the rear handle while holding onto the handle bar. I might point out that I have never had a large chainsaw. This 361 I just bought is the largest one I've ever owned, the rest of them being in the 45-53cc class.

Ian

Haywire Haywood said:
I almost always drop start my saw, I've never done it any other way. It just seemed the natural way to do it. I didn't think of it as dangerous till I started reading here. If I have trouble starting and it needs more pulls than normal, I put it on the ground and try to get the edge of my boot onto the bottom of the rear handle while holding onto the handle bar. I might point out that I have never had a large chainsaw. This 361 I just bought is the largest one I've ever owned, the rest of them being in the 45-53cc class.

Ian

ditto

Just to clarify, drop starting is holding the saw in one hand, and pullign the rope with the other right?

I didnt know there was any other way to start a chainsaw...:chainsaw:

But seriously, Ive tried the foot on the handle way..but a childhood back fracture prevents me from bending over for long periods. So Usually, if it is a big saw, and its cold, Ill go down to my knees and start it that way, once warm, drop starting is the standard.

Medium, and small saws get drop started regardless of hot or cold.

No problems, with or w/o a brake.

If not in the habit then dont do it . I put the rear handle between my legs above the knees and hold the top handle with my left hand and pull the starter rope with my right hand . I seen one guy drop starting his saw and he dropped it on the ground because he lost his grip and the chainsaw sat there running high idle and headed towards his leg , unreal . I have seen starter ropes pulled out with drop starting , i have also seen chainsaws run out of control. Just silly . Get into the right practice and secure your saw when starting it . If we see somebody drop starting there saw it just looks like a newbie that dont know what there doing , we all stand around and watch them to see the clown . I have dropped started in the past to see if it was easier and there was no benefit to doing so. Next time your around someone that drop starts there saw ........... watch them , its funny as he(( .

I drop started saws for the first 15 years of my career. I simply didn't know any other way. Then I went to work in the UK and had to pass a vigorous test (NPTC) on chainsaw use. I learned how start a saw with the rear handle between the legs. It is a definite improvement. Haven't dropped started since and wouldn't want to.

Cheers :cheers:

Automatic disqualification if you are in a chainsaw carving competition and you drop start. We use large saws to block out then we switch to smaller saws. When I carve in a competition it is hard to remember which saw is still warm or not and to be honest with you, It's a pita not being allowed to drop start. I know for a fact, first hand, that most carvers drop start most all the time, but they won't admit it. I learned this rule the hard way cause some jerk wanna bee next to me almost got me disqualified about 4 years ago.
Mark

Somehow, to me, shoving a chainsaw between my legs to start it seems more dangerous than drop starting. I'm not the professional here tho, so I'll take your word for it. I'll try it the next time I'm out.

Ian

TreeCo said:
I don't like the chainsaw between the legs technique because the bar of the chainsaw is pulled towards the operators head. I believe people sitting around in an office came up with this method.

Ha , ha , ha ....... Your suppose to hold the top handle with your left hand so the bar dont come up to your face . The right hand on the starter rope and the rear handle is between your legs.
I also hate to see saws drop started while holding the rear handle. I think this is what got drop starting a bad rep in the first place
I haven't seen a saw drop started that way .......... you mean one hand is on the rear handle and the other is on the starter rope ?? Now that would be really dangerous!

The between the legs is okay, works for alot of people...I tried it once on a Poulan 2750 and the starter bound up...bad....I dont crotch start much any more...:dizzy:

Ive seen people do the rear handle drop start..where you hold the saw by the rear handle out with your right arm, and pull with the left arm...NOT SAFE.

Drop starting with the right hand on the rear handle and cranking with the left is common with large saws and long bars. You need a log, stump or some kind of wood to rest the bar on. But, I agree, it is not safe doing it in the air.

With smaller saws and bars I do it the other way around. Left hand on the front handle.
Drop starting is kind of like being safe with a firearm, some people can keep the muzzle {bar} pointed in a safe direction and some cant.

Can suck trying to start large saws with large bars up a tree.

Make sure they're warm, start easily on idle, refuel before running the tank bone dry.

I hold the saw in the left hand, pull with the right, just seems more natural and balanced (plus safer in my mind) but only with a warmed saw.

Latest posts

Back