Dropped Large Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah for a 5' tree it is about $25-30 and I can choose between an Aptos Blue Sequoia or a Soquel Sequoia. I am only about 15 miles from Aptos so I am in the zone.

Wonder if they would grow here in Missouri? I bought a sapling that was 3" tall at a store in the Mall of America. That was when I lived in Iowa. I put it in a pot and it was doing fine. Until my boxer dumped the pot over and took the tree!!! gkajf;kagasdkjg

Brent, i dont think they would grow here. I have a book on them and the soil that they need is very rare, i think they are only in dot size space in california. I had that same ides, plant a general Sherman in the front yard!:greenchainsaw:

We decided to go buck this tree up this afternoon. What a chore it was. Me and my brother cut non stop from 2-6pm and there are still a few large limbs to be bucked. I took tomorrow off to go split it. Plus I'm sore as all get out. WOW. Sorry for the hazzy pictures. I believe my blackberry was plugged full of saw dust!!! :D
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Brent, yeah your right thats alot of work to cut up with toy saws, You need to get yourself a Stihl!!:yoyo:

Brent, yeah your right thats alot of work to cut up with toy saws, You need to get yourself a Stihl!!:yoyo:

LOL. Ya.. Must be why my 7900 ate your 440's lunch the last time we were out cutting. :ices_rofl: Do you wanna race? I don't call that a race really!!!

and some boots, chaps, and helmet/muff/visor combo too.

Yes, other than that, good job. But chainsaw cuts are nasty, been there, got the shirt. And you can preserve your hearing as well. And your eyes. Not nagging ya, me and oldirty have seen ugly stuff, don't want it to happen to you.

Yes, other than that, good job. But chainsaw cuts are nasty, been there, got the shirt. And you can preserve your hearing as well. And your eyes. Not nagging ya, me and oldirty have seen ugly stuff, don't want it to happen to you.

and tell your brother to wrap his thumb around the handle if he wants a chance in a kickback situation.

fun running saws isnt it?

Well, we split from 8:30am until 3pm today. Knocked out about half the tree. We filled a 16' flatbed to the gills, which after stacking yielded roughly 2 cord. We also filled the trailer half full again and then quit. We were beat!! I'm guessing we should get around 4-5 cord out of this tree. It's amazing how much wood comes out of those 200lb rounds. My backyard smells like oak though. Or dog barf which I say..... Yuck..

Bent, there is nothing as nice as the smell of oak. If you say your backyard smells like dog barf, perhaps the smell is comming from the dog you have chained up in the backyard!!!!! Dohhh!!!!

Nice looking drop. I love how them 7900's run. I dont see how anyone can cut wood without at least glasses. I did it once and got enough saw chips in my eye to start a fire. Never again. I am lax on PPE. I dont have chaps or a head gear, but safety glasses are a must!

Here's some of the wood from this large tree. This wall has about 2-3 other med. sized white oak in with it. I have a little left to split on this big red oak. I am guessing I got 4 - 4.5 cord from it..
attachment.php

Nice drop!!! I feel your pain on the soreness, too! earlier this winter I dropped a monster white oak and have spent a large amount of my time since getting the wood home. I've got 4 cords split and stacked so far and nowhere close to being done yet. Was out cleaning up the stump area today so the farmers can get into the field and finally got a chance to measure the width at the stump: 47 inches! I wish my felling cut looked as nice as yours did! The amazing thing is the trunk was still 44" about ten up,too. I've posted em before but here's a few pics in case you missed:

Its a lot of wood but I'll definately think twice before tackling one that big again! Cheers.

Back