Dropping Ash tree on the lake.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WTF is with that SoM...

As far as having the equipment out there... well 24" of ice is alot. But I probably would have waited until after dropping the tree to move it out there. By the sounds of it you were probably only in a couple feet of water anyways though.

Classifieds good ####. What else do you think all us stoner Canadians do up here, other than hotbox igloos.....?

We were gonna drop it first and then drive out but needed something to anchor the block to. In the past I have augered through the ice and pushed a cedar post through for an anchor but I felt pretty good about this situation and the trucks were over 50 feet away from the top of the tree.

you stayin busy out there Lumberjack?? My friends brother opened up for Class as well as Method and Red in Barrie a few times. Check out his myspace and watch for his new video on Much Music!!

http://www.myspace.com/sicktricks14

Last edited:
As I understand it, you need 3' of clear solid ice to land a 50,000lb airplane.
(but hopefully the plane doesn't slam down as fast as a tree)
Apparently you had enough ice, but I wouldn't know how to figure the safe thickness for trucks plus impacting tree, so that part would have made me quite nervous.

Two things I noticed in the video. You never looked up while cutting, and you stayed within 10' of the stump the whole time it was coming down. If it had barberchaired while you were walking 5' behind the stump, or if it had dropped a limb while you were cutting...

As I understand it, you need 3' of clear solid ice to land a 50,000lb airplane.
(but hopefully the plane doesn't slam down as fast as a tree)
Apparently you had enough ice, but I wouldn't know how to figure the safe thickness for trucks plus impacting tree, so that part would have made me quite nervous.

Two things I noticed in the video. You never looked up while cutting, and you stayed within 10' of the stump the whole time it was coming down. If it had barberchaired while you were walking 5' behind the stump, or if it had dropped a limb while you were cutting...

Great points. For the record I have never had a tree barber chair on me in over 15 years, and we had it secured with a 15000 lb strap. Also on flat ground a kick back from the trunk is next to impossible. We did a pull test before I started to cut to check for any falling limbs.

In my opinion looking up is the worst thing you can do. I can see when the tree is starting to go by looking at the back cut, and when it starts to open I know it's going. I would rather take a dead branch on the top of my hard hard than square in the face.

Last edited:
so this is what it sounds like when you jerk off into your own mouth?

you and your money. blah b;ah blah. you sound like the typical hard on cop that thinks his sht dont stink.

whatever though keep doing those cake trees. thats the difference between the two of us, career wise. i could do both of your jobs no problem. you couldn't do mine.

LoL oldirt your intelligence is showing through. I am far from a "hard on cop" I dont live and breath police work. I dont even hang out with cops. Its just a career that chose me and I took it. Though it has its benefits it has taken a lot out of me in the last 16 years. I have been through some crazy ####. But with that mentioned I dont talk about my cop #### in here very often. As a matter of fact you are the first one that caught on to it a long time ago. My point is only that you pass judgement on people about their knowledge and abilities based only on whether or not they do this work full time. I have to tell you the truth I have met a quite a few full timers over the years that I wouldnt let trim a bush in my front yard.

By the way I am doing both are jobs whether you think so or not.

If you could do my job why are you working for peanuts for someone else's tree company. I guess some people just think small, oh yeah maybe its the drug testing that kept you out because your obviously smoking crack.

I await another one of your intellectually challenged replies... One thing is for sure you live up to a lot of stereo types for a tree worker.

Last edited:
No problem man you make some valid points. The lake depth (Chemong Lake is 6 feet deep at it's deepest point!) at the shore was 3 feet and the ice was 2 feet thick so I felt pretty good. I was nervous as hell driving on the ice especially since a guy put his truck through the ice 20 mins south of here last week pulling out an ice hut. That lake is a lot deeper and has many rivers and underground streams taht don't freeze over that well. I know this lake quite well. I said a little prayer before I drove onto the ice!!

I definately don't recomend this to anyone, but knew the homeowner was getting a few quotes and priced it to be in and out in less than 3 hours. It's been a slow winter! Would I do it again? Yes, definately on this lake because I know it so well, but never on any other lake. The temp has been -20 for the last 3 weeks overnight.

At least you know what saws to use! Now, I will live up to another Canadian stereotype and crack my 10th beer for the night and continue celebrating my Toronto Maple Leafs stomping of the Ottawa Senators even though we are last place in the league!!!

:cheers:

Salut man I take back the Canadian jokes and sorry this post went astray it wasnt my intention at all.

Last edited:
Come on Oldirt you must have the dictionary out trying to spell a word correctly or something this is taking too long.

This should be priceless

Holy crap dude come on you have been replying for 10 minutes. I am dying to see this piece of literary art, but I have to be up in 6 hours I have an OT shift to work $500 to sit on my fat ass and do nothing.

In my opinion looking up is the worst thing you can do. I can see when the tree is starting to go by looking at the back cut, and when it starts to open I know it's going. I would rather take a dead branch on the top of my hard hard than square in the face.

When the backcut opens, its time to get moving, and you want to be looking up so you can see whats coming at you. Granted, in your case it was a very clear and open area. A big branch on the top of your hat from way up will kill you. I know its hard to look up and cut, wedge, but you have to be aware of what is above you. Best wishes to you.:cheers:

Alright dude its going on 30 minutes you have been replying. Calling a friend for a big word or a cop joke? You better make this good man. Although I am not counting on it.
OH MY CHRIST 40 minutes you have been replying to this thread then you just give up and leave with no reply. Well Im going to bed you let me down man.

Words of wisdom from the great one

Last edited:
When the backcut opens, its time to get moving, and you want to be looking up so you can see whats coming at you. Granted, in your case it was a very clear and open area. A big branch on the top of your hat from way up will kill you. I know its hard to look up and cut, wedge, but you have to be aware of what is above you. Best wishes to you.:cheers:

:cheers: Sometimes I am guilty of enjoying the view too much!

Last edited:
blah blah blah.

i do not work for peanuts.

and yes, you might cut wood for pay on your day off from milking the system but even in your wildest dreams you could not do what i do in the tree world.

i know who you climb with. thats why i know your skill level. you do the easy stuff. thats why you think its easy.

start posting some pics. maybe earn some treespect.

i actually left my house and just got back to finish that post. glad to see you were waiting. lol

nothing too bad. sorry to make you wait.

i do not work for peanuts.

and yes, you might cut wood for pay on your day off from milking the system but even in your wildest dreams you could not do what i do in the tree world.

i know who you climb with. thats why i know your skill level. you do the easy stuff. thats why you think its easy.

start posting some pics. maybe earn some treespect.

I am not looking for yours or anyone else respect here... You know Fishercat who I have only worked a few jobs with none of which have been a test of skill for anyone they have all been easy tree's. I have no problem climbing anything, but never pretended to have the experience of most here. Improving my knowledge is one of the reasons Im here. Take your "Treespect" (by the way thats queer) and shove it. Your an asshat.

By the way I am glad you took your time writing that. It almost sounded like you may have graduated middle school for a change. Just toss in a capital letter here and there, maybe a punctuation in the appropriate spot and you could pass as a half way intelligent 3rd grader.

Last edited:
i actually left my house and just got back to finish that post. glad to see you were waiting. lol

nothing too bad. sorry to make you wait.

Had to run down the pub for another pint did yeah? Or was it a $5 piece from some dude on the corner?

you are the asshat you c o c k sucker.

keep making those accusations and i am going to be forced to punch that badge you can hide behind down your throat. and then i am going to sodomize you with your own police baton strictly for domination purposes.

why dont you beat it. you got nothing to offer anyone here.

you are the asshat you c o c k sucker.

keep making those accusations and i am going to be forced to punch that badge you can hide behind down your throat. and then i am going to sodomize you with your own police baton strictly for domination purposes.

why dont you beat it. you got nothing to offer anyone here.

There is that intellect showing through again. Im not that far away dude, you shouldn't be hard to find me internet tough guy. But you may not like what you find when you do. Ive never seen you have anything constructive to offer except how great you are. Come on down and punch my badge down my throat. That was a brilliant piece of sentence structure.

Last edited:
Some sweet trucks you have there arborcare. Was that a winch on the chipper?? (hard to see). How do you like the carlton? I have never used one of those.

Nice cut too ... even though I'm a top cut first guy. :cheers:

Some sweet trucks you have there arborcare. Was that a winch on the chipper?? (hard to see). How do you like the carlton? I have never used one of those.

Nice cut too ... even though I'm a top cut first guy. :cheers:

Aye, top cut first as well:cheers:

Things are slow for me down here right now, actually down at Humber until the end of March working on my apprenticeship (level 1). Milking the system for EI and enjoying my winter off. (Actually we pretty much wind up climbing and working at school three days a week right now, can't complain I guess... Its like being on a union crew. lol.)

Latest posts

Back