dropstarting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tundraotto

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
kind of a lead on from another forum (done with decompression valves) - how many of you guys (gals?) dropstart? - i know i always do as i find this the easiest way to start a saw, i know that it may be dangerous if one is complacent, but i feel that carefully and deliberately done this is a safe as can be starting method - you just have to hold on to the saw (tight!) until the saw has started and you can move your right hand to the rear handle...works for me- how about you?

Yes Tundra I've drop started my share of saws, mostly big monster falling saws. An old logger friend of mine showed me when I was a kid. But I was wondering if it is now a fancy Aborist term for ( No I didn't really fumble my saw and lose my grip, I was just drop starting it --- in the tree)??? In all seriousness I had an old clinton ship anchor, ( way bigger then a boat anchor ), that I used to drop start by letting it fall and the weight would make it pull through. P.S. the starter rope was tied to a good stout tree limb. :D

I hold the rear handle with my right hand and pull with my left,I am strong enough and this keeps the bar pointed down.Husky136,262,and Sthil044 is about all I use while climbing,hooked to the right side of my belt.I always flip the kill(on-off)switch back to the on position after turning it off.Ready to go when I need it.

I don't dropstart the big Jonsered with the 36" bar. On the other hand, how do you start a tophandle climbing saw with your foot in the handle while you're in the tree :confused: :confused:

I DONT dropstart the old Homelite ZIP because the rope turns the motor over too slowly I am too much of a sissy to get it going. I do drop start anything including my 55 and smaller. If your saw has a chain brake it is a good idea to set it and then start your saw.

I had a buddy over and was showing him the Poulan Super XXV I saved and fired that beast up like Monkeypuzzle does in the tree. Well you have to hold the throttle on that saw and when it fired I dropped my hand down a little. What I failed to realize was my SKI DOO was parked right in front of me and I cut the top of the plastic ski!!! luckily the chain was duller than a butter knife but a dull chain is worse when cutting flesh. It can happen to anyone

Never, Never drop start a saw!!!

Drop starting any chain saw is VERY dangerous! Heaven forbid, you drop start a saw and it grabs your leg, or kicks back after catching a limb. You could end up with a vertical mouth located in the middle of your forehead or suffer a drastic change in your voice due to the handle of the saw striking your groin area.
ALWAYS start your saw with the brake on, if it has one.
ALWAYS try to keep the saw stationary, either on the ground with your own body weight or while standing, holding the saw between your thighs. If you are starting the saw while up in a tree, you must learn how to lock your left arm while pulling the rope with your right. If you are drop starting the saw because you feel the compresion is to much for you to handle, get a smaller saw or one with a compression release, or eat more spinach.

For me drop starting is not ideal. The control is not there. My very first saw (Echo 440) had the pull rope handle jerked clean off by my then briggs & stratton starting tecnique. Now I use the method described in the Husky tech manuals. I hold the loop handle with my left hand while tucking the throttle handle lightly above my knees. A short crisp pull is all it takes but thats what I am used to. A man should know his limitations!

First off climbing is difficult enough,throw in a chainsaw and you are asking for it sooner or later, PERIOD!!!! We climbers just deal with that somehow,PERIOD!!! If thats not enough stress,throw in the heat and humidity,oh and don't forget to keep your eyes on the groundies.I love what I do and do not want to cut myself a new "vertical mouth"thats for sure:eek: Pay me what it's really worth and then I will follow EVERY rule.

especially wiht those old homelties with the ball style clutch in them you sill tear the recoil clutch to pieces if you drop start it too much. and plus soem of those old saws are a hand full enough to hold up with 2 hands let alone 1 hand.

I drop the climbing saws. The new Z 133 says you should brace it between your leg and the tree or something like that. I always have the break on when I start a saw, no mater what.

Re: Never, Never drop start a saw!!!

Originally posted by Harry Bridger
ALWAYS try to keep the saw stationary, either on the ground with your own body weight or while standing, holding the saw between your thighs. If you are starting the saw while up in a tree, you must learn how to lock your left arm while pulling the rope with your right. If you are drop starting the saw because you feel the compresion is to much for you to handle, get a smaller saw or one with a compression release, or eat more spinach.
What :confused:
Are you saying , grab the top loop with your left hand ? Every saw I've used is left handed , doing it like this will put the chain closer to you with your hand acting as a pivot , chain going up towards you if you can't hold on. What would be so different up a tree if you use right hand to start the saw besides being awkward and probably more dangereous? Hold the saw between your thighs ??? Can you imagine JPS trying that , he probably wouldn't even be able to see the saw:p
I feel very safe drop starting all my saws, always have the chain brake on. I usually start my 066 32" on the ground , but once warmed up I drop start it or lay it on a log holding on to the rear handle and push away while pulling the starter. I can't get my big boot into the back handle of most saws anyway to start them on the ground:rolleyes:

Last edited:
First of all I'm not a professional, I just cut some firewood and sometimes an occassional tree for a neighbor or family member. But i have never started a saw with other than the drop method and that includes my 046 with 36" bar (no decompression release used). Its the only way i was taught.

confused

I realize all the safety info says not too but...I say if you feel comfortable doing it, and can do it safely, go for it. If you're not comfortable around saws, or aren't familiar with them, you better put it on the ground before you pull. I almost always drop start whatever I'm using and have never had a problem (knock on tree bark.) That's just the way my uncle showed me 15 years ago and that's what I've always done. A lot of times when I'm up in a tree though, I'm not in a good position to drop it. In that case I usually stiff arm it with my left hand and pull with the right.

As with anything there is one "safe method" that is printed in instruction manuals. The golden rule for new chainsaw and part time operators is DO NOT DROP START A CHAINSAW. That being said the real world for experienced operators is what works for the given situation. When I'm starting a saw (brake on always)
I use the safest method available at the time based on position balance and suroundings. The more hazardous the starting method(ie drop start, start in a cut ect..) the more alert and cautious you have to be. Domino falling,dutchman facecuts,narrow facecuts ect.. are also considered no nos but have applications at times. Be alert,careful and safe. If you are always facing the use of unsafe methods then an evaluation of the total approach to a job is needed. I'm 5'10" 235lbs. and love using the decompression valves on my 046 and 066

Latest posts

Back