Drum chipper: pallets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouch_that_hertz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

On yer typical drum chipper (I have a '68 Whisper), is it relatively harmless to chip wooden pallets? I'm thinking the nails might cause a problem. At the least, they might slightly damage the blades over time. My blades need replacing anyway so maybe throwing pallets in there would be tolerable.

On the outfeed side... I suppose I'd be littering the area with nails - which might not be a great idea for walking paths...

Thanks folks!

pallets will destroy your blades and your anvil, if you want to spend big bucks on your machine repairs go ahead but its not a good idea

Not a grand plan.Most pallet grinders are big old tub type that use a magnetic pick up to extract the tramp metal.

Good points

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your advice. I'll find other (hopefully still fun) ways of disposing of pallets.

:)

olathe makes a pallet chipper. i had one a while back ,big bad machine . cummins 6cyl turbo diesel and te drump had something like 65 knives in it.

Back