Drying firewood in a pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think "it won't work" is a good reply or the general consensus of the discussion. I think the take away is it doesn't work as well. Also, depending on things like your climate and soil type it could result in mold, fungi, soggy wood, or it could be completely acceptable and dry...
yeah,,sandy soil of the desert,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MAYBE....

Revenue vs expense. Satisfied customers. Workers paid. Year over year gains. Those are the things I would bother measuring. Not moisture content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right you don't sell wood like that. From a commercial standpoint splitting then stacking wood, then Unstacking it to deliver makes no sense. Any 'bad' or wasted wood gets burnt by the splitting crew during the day to stay warm

Right you don't sell wood like that. From a commercial standpoint splitting then stacking wood, then Unstacking it to deliver makes no sense. Any 'bad' or wasted wood gets burnt by the splitting crew during the day to stay warm

I agree however, all the guys I use to work for season their wood in log length and process it the day/week it's going to be delivered. Yes it takes a lot of inventory and space to save that much wood for that long...

Revenue vs expense. Satisfied customers. Workers paid. Year over year gains. Those are the things I would bother measuring. Not moisture content.

Moisture content is very important if you're selling the wood as being seasoned, though I'm sure you know that.

I'm always open to new ideas. A way to turn over the piles as well as scoop it up without mixing in a bunch of dirt is something I'm trying to figure out... aside from spending 10k+ on a concrete pad I haven't come up with anything.

Last summer I had a pile of poplar sitting in a truck by the highway as an advertisement. The top 2ft or so was popcorn dry this fall, the stuff toward the bottom wasn't too nice.

how good,,does that USELESS wood burn????

I've successfully dried firewood in a pile that I was too lazy to stack. Granted most of it was ash but it worked well. It made me question all the time I take for stacking.

speaking of piles......you sound just like slowp.....care to comment on that??? guess whos older,,child??? taint uuuuuu.. your another keyboard self appointed tuff boy...sarah could kick your a#$

@ValleyFirewood take this for what it's worth. For me, I'd only buy your product if the price was right and I could season it myself for another 2 years. I'm not trying to be rude or insulting. I am really interested in the average MC of the wood that goes out on your truck. I'd wager its at 25-30%.

That being said many people give no ****s about MC and are happy to burn fresh cut wood.

The other problem is that airflow is what drys wood, not time or sun. Airflow.
had to go and find this,,to requote......ALLLL three,,come into play..dont believe??? go cut some frozen tree down,, split it while its freezing,,then store it in a freezer,,and tell me sun or heat,,has no place..........and AIRFLOW alone,,WONT dry a tree in a day............
:D

AIRFLOW, aka wind. Wind can't get through a giant heap like that.
we be in agreement on that.. i was speaking of firewood stacking in general..............ANNNDDDDDD, wind COULD get thru that stack,,if you wanted to stand a jet airplane on end,,on top of the pile,,and fire it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing::laughing:

Latest posts

Back