Drying rates for various northern hardwood species

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks

Thanks all. I appreciate the suggestions.

I actually have a crib in my basement that holds 5 cords. There is a blower at the end of it where I can blow the warm dry air from my wood furnace (charmaster) through the wood stacks. I think that I should be able to dry things out enough by the time I get to my green cord in the back of the crip.

thanks again.

joe

Hedge is Osage Orange. Other woods will get called the same depending on the area. But in the central plains it is Osage Orange.

It was planted on the plains as a living fence to hold in cattle, horses, pigs or any livestock. "Horse high, pig tight and bull strong !" It was tended much like a privet or hawthorne hedge. It makes a tough , dense , imprenatrable thorn hedge row. If you ever burn it in your wood stove you would swear you just loaded it with coal. It burns hotter and longer than White Oak or Hickory and grows like Mullberry.

Very good description of hedge. :clap:

We have some hedge around here but I've never had the opportunity to burn it. As for burning green. We have so much dead stuff standing in the woods in my area that you never need to burn green. Problem with alot of the dead stuff though is that it doesn't last long in the boiler.

It isnt recommended but I have brought in green firewood and left it stacked near the stove to dry out for a day or two. During the winter the humidity in the house is pretty low and heating the wood helps it dry much faster. Stacking it to close to the stove is a fire hazzard and there is the possibility of bringing bugs into the house. You do what you have to do to keep warm.

I do the same thing if it's all you got, bring as much in the basement as you can it really does dry pretty fast down there near the stove, I also have a basement hot air vent that points down toward the floor and stack as much as I can right under the vent. Also save that Ash and use it sparingly for getting fires started and for when winter is at it's coldest.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back