Drying wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Brushcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi

I'm doing some woodland Thining soon and i'd like some tips of drying the wood that i get out of it which will be mainly Ash. I also get a lot of Ceader, Silver Birch, Oak and pines as well. I find that they all crack is there a way of getting it to dry equally so i can use the wood?

Living in the UK so weather can range from 30 degree C summer days to -4 winter nights and its wet a lot of the time too. A really nice bit of oak has split because its dryed out:(

Thanks

There is quite a list of little rituals to seasoning wood without splitting. It is almost impossible to do in the round. It has to be sawn, stacked, stickered with spacers and weighted down. Ends must be sealed with wax/ paint etc, and sun and wind exposure controlled. Some of the lumbermakers here may have a link to a site where you could do some reading up.

You just cant dry lumber in the log form it just dont work that way. To use lumber it should be around 5% to 8% MC it verys per place you live in the world. I would see about finding a kiln some wher and see if they would put it in ther for you, I got a kiln and i would dry it for you pretty cheap but you live in the UK.
Jack

Back