Dual purpose wood stack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Reaction score
Over the winter I burned my garden fence for heat. It had hit the correct time in the seasoning cycle so in the stove it went. Now I needed to replace it. I just happened to have some maple and ash laying around. So I spent some time splitting and stacking. Voila'...new garden fence.

Original fence
1.1.jpg

At the end of winter

1.2.jpg

Splitting and transporting

2.6.jpg

Mid stack

2.7.jpg

Completion

2.3.jpg

I spent yesterday cutting down some dead elm on the back line and finished stacking that low spot on the very end.
I stacked a little higher this time. Last fence was only around three feet high.
The "fence" works well at keeping the neighbors dog out of the garden and the yard for that matter. It also blocks any severe north winds we get that might damage the plants. It seems like everytime we get a big summer storm the winds come crashing out of the north and this helps. It also adds a little reflective heat and light properties for early season growing. Vegetables are growing well in my little home built greenhouse just waiting for mid may to be planted!

I'm friggin' jealous... I still ain't cut a single stick for the stacks in 2014 ‼
Thought I might get some cut yesterday, but dad came pullin' in the drive with his '65 Thunderbird convertable 'round 8:30 AM. He'd just got it out of winter storage... and the darn thing quit runnin' right there while we were talkin'. Damn fuel pump... have you ever tried replacing one of those in a '65 Bird with a 390?? What a friggin' pain‼

And I still can't drink beer to lessen the agony of such jobs‼ Two weeks to-the-day since I've had a sip.
Truth be told, I don't really miss it; although it is hard on Saturday at happy hour time and someone stops by with a box (which is SOP 'round here)... but I sure feel better on Sunday mornings ‼
Tuesday is the next blood test... and I'm well stocked for jumpin' off the wagon‼

I do the same as a privacy fence between my neighbor and I so that the dogs don't fight it out across the chain link. I like your trailer. I'm surprised that thing has the axle to withstand the weight. I never thought of those pop ups as having much to them.

Looks good Bush, I move around some of my wood piles so the grass and weeds below it die off and the following year I'll plant squash or potatoes where the wood was. Looks like you got a serious fence for sure..

Just for the record I split the wood at my house, tossed it in the trailer and backed it up behind the garden. It never saw the road and I wouldn't load it that heavy if I was going down the road! LOL
It was my deer hunting pop up but one year the mice got into it and I never could get the smell out so I turned it into something that can be used without be-fouling your nose! Eventually I will tear it down and deck it and put new sides on it but not until this set-up falls apart. It's great for hauling mulch and lighter stuff too. It will haul a yard of topsoil as well.

Back