Dual spark plugs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw Jim

CJ Saws, LLC
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has ever ran a saw that way.
Hers a pic of a stock 046 cylinder with a second spark plug in the decomp.
2016-02-05 15.48.26.jpg
I imagine one could solder a pigtail on the end of a spark plug wire for a second boot.

On one hand it's a pretty small combustion chamber so I wonder if it should be necessary? On the other hand it's got a really short time to burn all the mix at 10k and only maybe 120 between ignition and the exhaust port opening - say 2ms.

Well over thinking the laws of electricity I suppose the pigtail idea is out. Lol
I still wonder if it's possible for even length wires coming from the coil to spark simultaneously, or whether one wound just cancel out the other.

Well over thinking the laws of electricity I suppose the pigtail idea is out. Lol
I still wonder if it's possible for even length wires coming from the coil to spark simultaneously, or whether one wound just cancel out the other.
Not enough juice to fire two plugs I wouldn't think, but could be wrong.

next thing you know... y'all will be wanting to run 'em on diesel! lol... or run them on an MSD unit... ;)

oh boy, I just got my saw back from so and so the porter... wow, he really upped my compression. what is it now? 10.5:1. oic... well that's nothing... mine is 21:1... runs on diesel...

:laughing:

the dual plug is interesting. especially if they could be timed a few degrees apart to increase plug dwell... seeing is believing. I see no reason a pig tail would not work. they work as plug testers. but two leads off the magneto seems better suited. of course, if 2 magnetos could be worked in together... hmm...

maybe just supercharge it or turbocharge it, then power increase would far exceed that of a 2nd plug. albeit, show up at the gtg... and no doubt it would be the talk of the event... especially if it ran and ran well... could be maybe an aviation version...

:laughing:

could maybe step down the mm of the plug hole, then drill and tap plug (spacer) and put in a high energy, low resistance plug... and another one, too. run 2 off one magneto... its what they did for cars... put coil right on the plug. the coil then operates much... more efficiently firing only 1 plg vs 4, 6, 8 or more... even. more joules, less rise time to full capacity, ie... bigger spark, bigger spark better flame front... better flame front, less detonation and more power! :)

I wonder just how highly efficient the plug wire on a saw actually is. is it more like OEM on a car? there are racing wires (leads) that are so efficient... that merely adding a set to an otherwise stock engine will improve driveability noticeably...

personally, I like 2 plugs, on diesel and turbocharged... ;)

ported, of course...

Piston aircraft engines have 2 magnetos and 2 plugs per cylinder. When you're doing the preflight you turn off each magneto in turn and check the RPM drop. The drop should not exceed 175 RPM on modern engines and should not differ more than 50 RPM. A chainsaw should give some interesting numbers.

It will never work. Electricity will take the least resistive path to ground and therefore only one plug will fire at a time. For both plugs to fire it would take 2 coils.

You are dealing with a discharge here (much like a lighting bolt) and not a constant power source. Current will flow through all paths but in a discharge situation there isn't enough current to fire both plugs.

Back in the day when I was younger and racing dirt bikes, I had a 1972 Suzuki TM-400R Cyclone. Long story short, it was highly modified from the frame, to the suspension, to the engine.

I had an over-sized Mikuni carb on it, was well as a full port job on the jug, and the head had been milled. I got the idea of a two spark plug set-up. It had a CDI electronic ignition on it. I purchased an additional coil for it and wired it into the ignition system.

Because I had installed a "frame handling kit", the engine sat approx. 1.5" lower in the frame, thus exposing the area under the fuel tank. I had a fiber-glass after-market Maico tank on it. When I installed the extra spark plug in the head, it was very obvious that the engine was running two plugs. It looked trick as all Hell.

Whether or not it made any actual difference was hard to tell. I had modded the bike so much, that it was pretty much anyone's guess as to how much of a difference all the mods made. Even with the frame handling kit, it was still a handful. The engine itself was making extreme power and that was both good and bad at times. If there had been a line drawn in the sand, as to indicate where not to cross, I'm sure I went well beyond that line.

By doing all the mods, I had dropped the bike's OEM weight by almost 15 lbs. I increased the engine's power, and it was very obvious, but I had no way to gauge the degree or amount.

I still have a picture or two of the bike in all it's glory after all the modifications........somewhere. If I ever find the pics, I'd love to figure out how to post them. It even sat in a Suzuki dealer's showroom alongside some stock TM-400R's for a month or two, on display.

It will never work. Electricity will take the least resistive path to ground and therefore only one plug will fire at a time. For both plugs to fire it would take 2 coils.

You are dealing with a discharge here (much like a lighting bolt) and not a constant power source. Current will flow through all paths but in a discharge situation there isn't enough current to fire both plugs.

>It will never work.

it will work under these conditions:

1 - use a plug called a series plug.

2 - use a coil or mag called a Pass Thru type. high tension is independent of Ground.

3 - in a world of imperfection, establish a perfect resistance to the two plugs... wire, connections, plug and plug gap would have to be ideally resistance perfect. confuse the mag! lol

in the world of small engines, these items exist. adaptation. and that, to me, at least... is the nature of this thread... an adaption.

such an adaption to a chain saw would be a challenge.

a good challenge has oft times been adequate motivation for the Mother of Invention.

Back in the day when I was younger and racing dirt bikes, I had a 1972 Suzuki TM-400R Cyclone. Long story short, it was highly modified from the frame, to the suspension, to the engine.

I had an over-sized Mikuni carb on it, was well as a full port job on the jug, and the head had been milled. I got the idea of a two spark plug set-up. It had a CDI electronic ignition on it. I purchased an additional coil for it and wired it into the ignition system.

Because I had installed a "frame handling kit", the engine sat approx. 1.5" lower in the frame, thus exposing the area under the fuel tank. I had a fiber-glass after-market Maico tank on it. When I installed the extra spark plug in the head, it was very obvious that the engine was running two plugs. It looked trick as all Hell.

Whether or not it made any actual difference was hard to tell. I had modded the bike so much, that it was pretty much anyone's guess as to how much of a difference all the mods made. Even with the frame handling kit, it was still a handful. The engine itself was making extreme power and that was both good and bad at times. If there had been a line drawn in the sand, as to indicate where not to cross, I'm sure I went well beyond that line.

By doing all the mods, I had dropped the bike's OEM weight by almost 15 lbs. I increased the engine's power, and it was very obvious, but I had no way to gauge the degree or amount.

I still have a picture or two of the bike in all it's glory after all the modifications........somewhere. If I ever find the pics, I'd love to figure out how to post them. It even sat in a Suzuki dealer's showroom alongside some stock TM-400R's for a month or two, on display.

>If I ever find the pics, I'd love to figure out how to post them.

let us know. sounds like quite a bike! i know I sure liked my Suzuki TM 250 back then! light and fast... much faster than me! lol no doubt, plenty gearhead types here on AS. one way or another, someone can or would be happy to help u get it posted. no doubt... :)

Been giving those pics some thought and I think I know where they are at. Problem is, I'm not at home and haven't been for going on 3 1/2 months now. Looks as if I will be here at my father's home thru Spring at least.

I might give my wife a call, tell here where to look and see if she can find them.

Whether it would work or not I will leave to the experts, however, putting spark in another area of the combustion chamber can have an advantage. Such advantages are either to put spark in an area that has to have excessive flame travel to get the fuel burned. Secondly to have more, though not necessation hotter, spark to light heavy or large loads of liquid fuel. Though often hotter is better for this, it takes more juice, so like positive displacement superchargers, the gain must outweigh the power loss detriment. Emissions are likely less as well, though not necessarily.

1646b1dd37cccba26cb864a5632df3aa.jpg
dual plugs on this work just fine

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back