dug up old Homelite Super EZ- maybe seized?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbas_son

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This old saw was in my Dad's stuff. I read up on it... seems to be a decent saw... The chain won't roll even though it isn't rusted, and the pull chord won't come out at all. It is all the way in. I removed the spark plug, and still nothing moves.

Maybe someone strait- gassed it and seized it up? Any suggestions on what I can try? It would be a coll saw to get going I think....

Thanks,
Jhomelite2.jpg homelite1.jpg

Those two screws/bolts on the muffler should come off easy and give us an idea of what the piston looks like provided it isn't stuck at BDC. Can you do that and post a picture of what you find?

Those are snappy little saws and will cut right along with new pro saws of the same CC. Most come with 16" bars but they really run well with 12-14" bar.

Bit of an update. The chain rolls freely now; I took off the pull cord to get to the flywheel. It won't move at all.

I will try to pull off the muffler.

OK so pulled off the muffler. Took this picture. Not sure if it tells a lot...homelitepiston.jpg

As he said that thing was really run rich and/or the wrong oil. You will want to pull the cylinder once you can get things freed up.

What are the red and yellow things in the exhaust port? Look like seeds to me but hard to tell.

Thanks svk. I think the red and yellow things are just reflections, as far as I can tell. Nothing in there but gunk and oil.

Turn it with the exhaust up and squirt a little fuel mix on the piston, it'll probably soften up that carbon, that may be what's sticking your piston. Once you get it turned over so the piston is down you can carefully clean that exhaust port. You might have to vacuum it out to get rid of the loose carbon. I've done several, you can probably do it without taking it all apart.

Pull the flywheel. They have a habit of screws behind flywheel backing out and locking the engine.
Beat me to it. I have one and ran it for 25 years. Very strong for the size. They used to call for 16:1 mix and it would smoke at that ratio so the carbon in the exhaust is not surprising. Hope you get it loosened up but I would also pull the jug and clean it out.

I actually looks like there are still machine marks on the piston. If it is just gummed up it is well worth getting it running. I have two of them (the xl-1 version) and I would put them on par with any pro saw of the same displacement.
Lacquer thinner does a great job of dissolving old gas and varnish.

Just restored two of those saws. Nicely built. If you decide to pull the flywheel, let me know I made a puller and can get it to you. Good call on the loose screws under the flywheel, several in the ignition components can jam things up.

Get the IPL (Leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com) to see how it's put together. If you have to pull the cylinder, there are several tools (#2 Posidriv bit, or Torx bit depending on mfg date), and several O-rings and gaskets. All parts are available (Leon's) but the NOS cylinder base gaskets are really old and brittle by now.

I'm south of Philadelphia if you're in South Jersey, I could give you the tools and some of the parts.

I once bought an used XL and had it shipped in. Fired it up, ran about 4 seconds an literally came to a screeching halt. Turns out it was a screw behind the flywheel.
The XL12 and Super XL saws were bad about that. It's generally the rear screw that holds the aluminum coil bracket on. I never checked or don't remember but it's possible the rear bolt is shorter than the other two and may come out quicker.. By the way, I've bought several cheap Super XLs that owner said was "locked up".

Guys, really thanks for all your help! Kinda funny that some people thought these were "locked up" and tossed them when in fact, it was just loose screws behind the flywheel. I will pull the flywheel off as soon as I can and let you know what happens.

Just restored two of those saws. Nicely built. If you decide to pull the flywheel, let me know I made a puller and can get it to you. Good call on the loose screws under the flywheel, several in the ignition components can jam things up.

Get the IPL (Leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com) to see how it's put together. If you have to pull the cylinder, there are several tools (#2 Posidriv bit, or Torx bit depending on mfg date), and several O-rings and gaskets. All parts are available (Leon's) but the NOS cylinder base gaskets are really old and brittle by now.

I'm south of Philadelphia if you're in South Jersey, I could give you the tools and some of the parts.

Thanks for the offer- I'm more towards NW Jersey- I will see if I can get the flywheel pulled myself.

Latest posts

Back