Dumb Question of the Day (Maybe?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rydaddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone regularly run .050 chain in a .058 bar? I know the obvious answers to this, but wondering who here gets away with this without problems?

Thanks!

You won't care too much for the cleaness of cut and it wears both the chain and the bar groove. If you insist on doing it use semi chisel chain or regrind full chisel so it has no back angle so the cutter pulls less to the sides

STIHLSamantha said:
my husband does sometimes....on the husky 266....he hasn't had any problems with that combo....

Yes, but it's my bet that he wouldn't have told us that! :0)

What will happen running .050 in a .058 track, right when the chain inters the wood, the cutters will try to tilt to the side in the track and not enter the wood, or get real squerly before entering the cut, not to even mention what it is doing in the bar-grove.

Can it be run, yes, is it something that could be considered regular practice, not on my saws.

ShoerFast said:

Can it be run, yes, is it something that could be considered regular practice, not on my saws.

I agree - a worn bar grove is bad enough, bar for larger gauge is worse.....:bang:

Local Jonny Reb dealer recommended this to me once. In fact he lied and said he had 58 chain on the phone and when I went to pick it up it was 50. He said no problem to run it in a 58 bar.

I've never gone back (plus his wife was a total ????? anyway).

Latest posts

Back