Dumb Question re:Stihl 036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wainohg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Now I'll be the first to admit I'm a dumbass, so that's a fact. What I know about chainsaws couldn't fill a cull peanut shell, although after another year or so reading about you guys adventures, I might can fill it. Now here's what happened.
I traded some labor for some cash and an old Stihl 036 last year. It was missing the clutch drum, sprocket, the chain brake and had no bar & chain.
Well the first thing I did when I got it home was see if it had compression and spark. It did & would sputter with some mix poured in the carb. I then took the carb apart & went at it with a can of carb cleaner. Put it back together & it started up & ran. I blipped the throttle maybe 5-10 times over two startings and it idled maybe a total of 5 minutes during those startings. Well later after I researched prices to buy the missing parts I decided I couldn't justify the $$'s required to complete it so I decided to sell it. Yesterday a guy tells me that by running it without the clutch drum, I have messed up the crankshaft and the crank bearings.
Says he is a Stihl expert and knows what he's talking about. Can this be the case or is he blowing me some smoke in your most valued opinions ?
Thanking anyone who responds in advance.

Now I'll be the first to admit I'm a dumbass, so that's a fact. What I know about chainsaws couldn't fill a cull peanut shell, although after another year or so reading about you guys adventures, I might can fill it. Now here's what happened.
I traded some labor for some cash and an old Stihl 036 last year. It was missing the clutch drum, sprocket, the chain brake and had no bar & chain.
Well the first thing I did when I got it home was see if it had compression and spark. It did & would sputter with some mix poured in the carb. I then took the carb apart & went at it with a can of carb cleaner. Put it back together & it started up & ran. I blipped the throttle maybe 5-10 times over two startings and it idled maybe a total of 5 minutes during those startings. Well later after I researched prices to buy the missing parts I decided I couldn't justify the $$'s required to complete it so I decided to sell it. Yesterday a guy tells me that by running it without the clutch drum, I have messed up the crankshaft and the crank bearings.
Says he is a Stihl expert and knows what he's talking about. Can this be the case or is he blowing me some smoke in your most valued opinions ?
Thanking anyone who responds in advance.

I highly doubt running an engine without something attached to the PTO end of the crank is gonna hurt anything.

You weren't holding it WFO under no load for too long of a time, or such, were you? Some people will make something up to get a steal.

That guy, IMHO, is blowing a bunch of smoke. The main bearings support the crank, so if there is nothing on the PTO, it's not gonna hurt it. I think he's just trying to rip you off.

Smells like a load of horse puckey to me, but I'm far from an expert.

The only way it might be true is if there were some sort of harmonic balancer arrangement in the clutch drive assembly. Obviously, the drum spins independent of the engine so the drum itself wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I highly doubt running an engine without something attached to the PTO end of the crank is gonna hurt anything.

You weren't holding it WFO under no load for too long of a time, or such, were you? Some people will make something up to get a steal.

That guy, IMHO, is blowing a bunch of smoke. The main bearings support the crank, so if there is nothing on the PTO, it's not gonna hurt it. I think he's just trying to rip you off.

I agree on all the above posts...
this "expert" is trying to skank ya!!

If patient...parts could be found reasonably on Ebay...but..
It sounds like you don't really want the saw sooo...sell it.
036's are a great saw...light weight and quite powerful...
:cheers:
J2F

tell me what it is missing and I will offer you a fair price. would like to see a pic though. I got all the bits I need to make her whole again.:msp_w00t:

It is true that if you ran it with a clutch attached but no clutch drum you may have damaged the crankcase beyond repair however. This allows the clutch shoes to expand and it eats the machined lugs off that keep the chain brake where it belongs. (I can show pictures of what happens, on a case I recently got.) this can also cause other probs as well.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I did. The clutch was there but no drum. I'd sure like to see those pics of yours because I can't comprehend how it could have had an effect on the crank & crankcase. Can you post or pm them to me ?
The saw is sold by the way, but I sold it "as is" for parts only. The guy also was gonna buy all the missing parts to make it whole again, but now I'm feeling bad for him if the crankcase is possibly ruined.
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. Man, I sure wish I knew what you guys know about saws !
I appreciate it.

tell me what it is missing and I will offer you a fair price. would like to see a pic though. I got all the bits I need to make her whole again.:msp_w00t:

It is true that if you ran it with a clutch attached but no clutch drum you may have damaged the crankcase beyond repair however. This allows the clutch shoes to expand and it eats the machined lugs off that keep the chain brake where it belongs. (I can show pictures of what happens, on a case I recently got.) this can also cause other probs as well.

Back