dumb stuff we do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh OK shoot once upon a time when I was
having a bad hair day, I was standing up on the bow
of a 14 foot flatbottom boat paddleing from that position.
I looked over at a couple that was watching me and thought
yeah they must think I am cool. Well just before I was about
to get to my trotline a very small submerged stump was in
my path and boat stopped but I did not. I get back in the boat
and look toward the couple which had no expression emotion
and hollered laugh it was funny! They still did not laugh I
guess they thought I might be offended. I don't care when
I see something stupid I lmao.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh OK shoot once upon a time when I was
having a bad hair day, I was standing up on the bow
of a 14 foot flatbottom boat paddleing from that position.
I looked over at a couple that was watching me and thought
yeah they must think I am cool. Well just before I was about
to get to my trotline a very small submerged stump was in
my path and boat stopped but I did not. I get back in the boat
and look toward the couple which had no expression emotion
and hollered laugh it was funny! They still did not laugh I
guess they thought I might be offended. I don't care when
I see something stupid I lmao.

PRICELESS!!!!

Roping a big elm down from a bucket truck. I got finished topping the tree, and set a rope to pull down the spar. The saw was low on gas, so I kneeled by the truck and filled up the new topping saw I had just bought, took the time to tighten the chain, etc. The groundman wanted help tying off the rope to the front of the truck so I went over to him, posted him at the end of the driveway to set cones up and block the little gravel road, so we could pull the spar over into the driveway.

Jumped in the truck to tighten the rope, cranked the wheel to get the right position, and started backing up. The truck seemed like it had sunk in the driveway some, so I gave it some extra throttle, and pulled it out of the "hole".

I got out to see what kind of hole I had been in and found my brand new little Johnsered 2135 new gas, nice tight chain, smashed into the driveway.
So 389.00 spent on a 200.00 little drop and leave. :mad:

We were grinding out a monster oak stump a few years back, and the charging system on the grinder (630 tow behind) was going out and not charging the battery properly. I dont remember if we had stalled the grinder or shut it off to put in more motor oil, but the battery went dead towards the end of the job and i had the bright idea of unhooking it from the truck so we could turn the truck around and jump start the grinder. Anyhow as soon as i unlatched the ball hitch, the grinder flips over... upside-down in the stump hole.:dizzy:
Other things ive done include trying to spur up a tree after a taking a break ... without putting the spikes back on. Twice ive tried to dump loads of brush out of the dump trailer... while its still tied down. What a pain trying to undo knots that are loaded with tension afterwords. :censored:
When i first started climbing i was cutting out a tricky white oak , tight drop zone ,tree about 100 foot. The kid i hired to climb the tree ended up puking his guts up and pussed out on the tree , so i had to do it. Anyway i was in the process of taking out the top 25-30 feet, made my notch , started the back cut...Some how i managed to hear the groundman yelling so i stop. Thank god i did because i was still tied into the section i was cutting...:cry:

Be Safe

Anyway i was in the process of taking out the top 25-30 feet, made my notch , started the back cut...Some how i managed to hear the groundman yelling so i stop. Thank god i did because i was still tied into the section i was cutting...:cry:

Be Safe

Guy used to have my equipment yard did that and when he realized it he tried in vain to cut the line with power saw and ran it into his chest. They couldn't tell what killed him. John Magrino, RIP, Rest in Peace.

We were grinding out a monster oak stump a few years back, and the charging system on the grinder (630 tow behind) was going out and not charging the battery properly. I dont remember if we had stalled the grinder or shut it off to put in more motor oil, but the battery went dead towards the end of the job and i had the bright idea of unhooking it from the truck so we could turn the truck around and jump start the grinder. Anyhow as soon as i unlatched the ball hitch, the grinder flips over... upside-down in the stump hole.:dizzy:
Other things ive done include trying to spur up a tree after a taking a break ... without putting the spikes back on. Twice ive tried to dump loads of brush out of the dump trailer... while its still tied down. What a pain trying to undo knots that are loaded with tension afterwords. :censored:
When i first started climbing i was cutting out a tricky white oak , tight drop zone ,tree about 100 foot. The kid i hired to climb the tree ended up puking his guts up and pussed out on the tree , so i had to do it. Anyway i was in the process of taking out the top 25-30 feet, made my notch , started the back cut...Some how i managed to hear the groundman yelling so i stop. Thank god i did because i was still tied into the section i was cutting...:cry:

Be Safe

Thats scary!! The first company I ever worked for, The owner did just that. Although he never stoped cutting, lucky for him it was a small top and it just fliped him up-side down and hung him from his lanyard:dizzy:

Not tree related but a few years back I was driving a flat bed. Get a call for a brake down. Get to the car and its this smokin chick that just got out of work from one of the local adult entertainment clubs. So I hooked up her brand new Land Rover and as Im loading it Im to busy flirting and looking that I dont watch where my hand is on the side of the bed well lets just say I ended up with 3 broken fingers. If that isnt bad enough as a screem like a little girl and jump back I hit the PTO release for the winch and the Rover rolls right off the bed and just misses a light poll.

Not tree related but a few years back I was driving a flat bed. Get a call for a brake down. Get to the car and its this smokin chick that just got out of work from one of the local adult entertainment clubs. So I hooked up her brand new Land Rover and as Im loading it Im to busy flirting and looking that I dont watch where my hand is on the side of the bed well lets just say I ended up with 3 broken fingers. If that isnt bad enough as a screem like a little girl and jump back I hit the PTO release for the winch and the Rover rolls right off the bed and just misses a light poll.

Well did ya atleast get her #???

Bad dad

Get out and look before you back up... My five year old is less then impressed and the fact the three year old thinks its hilarious is about to get her knocked on the head.

attachment.php

I was at the local Stihl dealer one time when a guy brought his saw in for doing the same thing. Guess it happens to the best. I wonder if anyone ever threw their stove gloves in the fire while stoking the fire in the middle of the night.

I threw my shoe in 1 time. It was late and dark and just grabbed soemthign and thein said o SH**.

I do a lot of winter mountaineering and ice climbing. One time I'd been out in Coire an t'Sneachda, near Aviemore in Scotland. Anyway I'd just climbed the hardest route of my life so far, White Magic grade 7,VII. I was so elated my head was all over the place... Walking back to the car through knee deep snow I caught one of my crampons on the other... arse over face 200ft down a 45 degree slope in front of the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue Team. Bruised body and ego.

Does torquing down on the last 2 teeth on stumpgrinder,while installing new ones,only to realize i put 2 teeth from the discard pile on count.
On top[ of that ,Ithink they were 2 of the worse ones.

Elderly neighbor calls and ask if I will see if I can get his tractor restarted. When I arrive a 4020 John Deere is in the yard along with anti-freeze jugs, water hose and a Milk crate at the front weights. Neighbor explains that he was checking the anti-freeze, but the tester would'nt reach the fluid so he adds 2 gallons of anti-freeze. Tester still won't draw fluid so he starts the engine and starts adding water with the hose. Most of You know the end. 4020's have the fuel tank in front of the radiator!

By the way, sign me up for the ripped the tailgate off the truck with the goose neck trailer club.

Mo-Iron

Went up a big ash take down that I knew had a 8 foot column of honey bee nest in it at about 20 degrees F. No prob there but slammed the trunk in the afternoon when I should have waited until the next morning when real cold again. Got stung 20 plus times running all around the neighborhood. :chainsaw:

Here is one in my mean childhood days I was out at the hog farm and they had a hot hog fence. I was down on my hands and knees about 7 years old try to coax this sow to eat a green blade of grass and get shocked. The hog got right up to the fence and I was carefully pushing the green dew laden blade of grass near the snout of the hog. The blade of grass hit the 220 and knocked me a complete flip while my cousins ltao. I did not know it would go through grass then but nothing like finding it out on your own:laugh: I should not have been so mean then anyway.

Last edited:
Several (actually many) years ago I yanked out a conifer stump with the truck in someones front yard, and pulled out a water pipe, not that dumb but ever wanting to keep customers happy I dived straight on to the broken pipe like I was going to be able to stop the flow. I wrestled with that pipe for several seconds before giving up. Greeeen horrn!

Latest posts

Back