Dummy question on a 22T Huskee splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Bear with me, guys, I don't know the proper terms for what I want to say.

I had a chance to play with a 22T Huskee splitter with a 6.5 BS. My question has to do with ram movement. Let me compare the Huskee with my Didier:

1. Didier: done splitting a round, push the lever all the way back to return the ram (remove hand) & ram returns to the start position. While ram is returning to start, I reach for another round.

2. Huskee: done splitting a round - the only way to return ram to start position is to hold the lever all the way back until ram is returns to start position (hand must stay on the lever). I must wait until I get the ram back to the start position before reaching for another round.

Regarding #2, is there something wrong with the Huskee or is this the way it is supposed to operate (hand must stay on the lever to return ram to start position)?

Shari

Mine is an auto return.

Sounds as though somethibng is wrong with your valve setting.

Someone smarter than me will be along to tell you how to fix it. :)

it might not have an auto return valve. I did not use one when I built mine. It might be able to be converted.

Regarding the Huskee: It was for sale and we took a look at it. Having never used one before, after I split a couple of rounds I was thinking 'something's wrong here' - but I was not sure so we passed on it.

Plus, as a side note, I'd have to build a box for me to stand on to have enough 'height' to pull that rope to start the engine. :)

Do these Huskee's come with different valves? or was there something wrong with this Huskee's valve?

Shari

I did not use an auto return valve because the only on that fleet farm had was only rated at 2000 psi and I am running at 3000 and wanted something bullet proof. And they were out of the auto's anyway.

I know on my Wallenstein the auto return doesnt work very well until the fluid is warmed up. This may take 5 mintues of constant splitting. Not sure if its the same for the Huskee's, but that may be the issue??

I cant say for sure if its an option on them Shari but I do know there is a spring on the opposite side from lever. The spring controls the auto return. It is possible the spring broke. Im also not sure if you can buy just the spring if it is broke,it may be possible to fabricate or find one at hardware store but not sure.:cheers:
Oh ya you may be able to change position of starter rope but not sure without looking at it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies.

We passed on purchasing this but I wanted the info for any future Huskee 22T we might bump into.

Shari

Isn't there a spring loaded detent in the valve that holds it in the return position?

I got one I bought ayear and a half ago from Tractor Supply and the return's auto. Could it be missing a little ball and spring detent thingy in the valve body? Just guessing here . . .

Nonetheless, my Huskee 22 tone splitter returns on auto.

Mine is a swisher but won't auto return until she's warmed up. How long did you run it?

The lower the detent kick off pressure is adjusted to the more likely the dentent will not work, especially when the oil is cold. Why? because the pressure needed to pump thick cold oil to retract the ram will be higher and more likely to reach the dentent kick off setting.

With the turn of a screw the pressure setting can be raised just enough this no longer happens. Your motor will grunt just a bit harder when the ram hits the end of its stroke.
Just be sure you messing with the detent setting and not the "relief valve" You don't want to mess with that without a guage to show you where you are at
Ken

35 Ton has a 24" stroke

I have the 35 Ton Huskee splitter and it has a 24" stroke. I usually split 16" stove wood and do not let the ram return all the way back to the starting position.

I split the round and then shift the lever to return the ram and then stop it just a little past the length of the log. This seems to speed things up a little bit for me.

Nosmo

thats part of the reason why I don't have the detent. Most of my wood is 16-20 inches so it is pointless to retract all the way. And I usually have someone else helping anyway.

Latest posts

Back