Dump trailers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcurbanloggers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I opened up a tree care business a two years ago and I am now looking at purchasing a dump trailer for the business. Are there any specific brands you guys have been happy with? What should I be looking for? What should I expect to pay? Etc. I’m planning on a 7x14 bumper pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought one today.
http://www.mayestrailer.com/
P.J. D7142
83" Tandem Axle Dump 14ft
Split / Spreader Gate
Black Powder Coat
Tarp kit(Pull Bar)7x20ft
Scissor lift.
12 k tongue jack
6900.00 plus tax.
I shopped around for a few weeks and this one seemed right for our needs.
Good luck.

I also have a pj low pro 14’. I shopped around and the PJ dump trailers seemed to be built heavier duty than the others. I would go with PJ. I went the low pro so I could dump rounds from the side with my mini skid. The standard ones where slightly too tall for that. The only downfall to the low pro is when dumping the back end drags on the ground on less you are on flat ground.

Sure-Trac here!!! ----had good luck with it since I bought it used 8 years ago, or so! Pulls a bit hard, but it's heavy made.--Follows perfect at highway speed, dumps excellent anywhere , Back then they ran around $4,500, used, IF you could find one for sale!!---NOW they are plentiful and go around $4,000 or so depending on brand/condition/etc. thanks' sonny580

Sure-Trac here!!! ----had good luck with it since I bought it used 8 years ago, or so! Pulls a bit hard, but it's heavy made.--Follows perfect at highway speed, dumps excellent anywhere , Back then they ran around $4,500, used, IF you could find one for sale!!---NOW they are plentiful and go around $4,000 or so depending on brand/condition/etc. thanks' sonny580

4,000 for a 7x14? Sounds too good to be true to me. Most of the ones I’ve seen are close to 7k

I look at used first and they looked like they where ran ragged and where 5-6k still. I think I paid $7300 for mine.

I bought a used u-dump gooseneck 7x14 with 4' sides on it. It's not a beauty queen but I sure do love having to just back up and dump. What I've learned with the tall sides is that it will hold a LOT of brush if you cut it down and ratchet straps it down. I found mine used for 2,500.00 dollars. Normally a big tex like it runs 7- 8k. But loading big wood we have to open up the doors and load from the back until we get a layer at the bottom to load from the side with my tractor. You can find one used if you're patient. But buying new would be the better investment if you have the cash

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Do any of you have easy experience with East Texas trailers? There is a dealership near me, but I have never of the brand. Are they any good?

Really, I think the primary question is is it really worth the investment. I won’t be in the tree business forever, and I will still have to load everything by hand. Does it make that much of a difference if you don’t have a mini skid? What do you think?

Not sure of the question, BUT I f you intend to go into serious business you do need decent looking proper equipment to get business.--Many years ago I helped a tree guy for a couple years and he tried to use junk! AND I mean junk,--always broke down and customers started leaving him.--He could have made a mint if he would have gotten decent equipment that looked good.
A dump trailer or truck will not be the only thing you need.--skidloaders are NOT welcome in customers yards!--Trust me , I know!!! LOL!!!! thanks; sonny580

I've had a Hawke trailer for 12 years. It did have a hydraulic motor problem early on, but they talked me through troubleshooting that and sent me a new one right away. Sometimes things go bad/parts are defective...I judge companies not only by how often things go bad...but also by how they fix those. Not a problem since. I'd buy another.

Not sure of the question, BUT I f you intend to go into serious business you do need decent looking proper equipment to get business.--Many years ago I helped a tree guy for a couple years and he tried to use junk! AND I mean junk,--always broke down and customers started leaving him.--He could have made a mint if he would have gotten decent equipment that looked good.
A dump trailer or truck will not be the only thing you need.--skidloaders are NOT welcome in customers yards!--Trust me , I know!!! LOL!!!! thanks; sonny580

I started this business 4 years ago and will continue to do it for another 4 years. After which, I’ll will sell it off, or dissolve it. I started my company to put myself through school; I had a marketable skill and want to be saddled by student debt. Those work study jobs just were not going to cut it. I am serious about it, but it is not a permanent career. I am pretty confident I will be finding plenty of uses for a dump trailer even after I move on from tree work, albeit less frequent uses (I have been very active in many farming and land conservation operations my entire life). It’s probably impossible for anyone other than myself to answer whether or not it is a worthwhile investment if I am only going to be doing this for a couple more years, so perhaps the question was rhetorical. The second part to the question is is a dump trailer that much of an upgrade from my standard utility trailer, if I am still loading everything by hand? It would definitely make sense if I had a loader, but like you pointed out, they are not welcome by customers, and I don’t intend on spending that kind of money. As we all know, those rounds can get super heavy, so is a dump really that much more efficient if there’s no machine to help out with the loading? Sorry if I was being a little vague earlier. Hope that cleared it up. Thanks!

Really, I think the primary question is is it really worth the investment. I won’t be in the tree business forever, and I will still have to load everything by hand. Does it make that much of a difference if you don’t have a mini skid? What do you think?

Figure how many years of service you need. Then figure cost of purchases against price of similar aged (# of years you would use it) trailers in your area. Subtract used selling price from new purchases price. Now you have an estimated cost for the use of the trailer over the specified time period.
Divide total cost by number of years. Now is that yearly cost worth the advantages of the dump trailer to you?

Other factors. How many man hours are you spending unloading by hand? If it saves you an hour subtract that from the cost of the trailer.

Do you have a market for other uses of a dump trailer? Delivering mulch or firewood are examples. Do you own any small equipment that could be hauled with this trailer? In other words how many uses for the trailer have you considered.

that's what I got ,it has 7 gage steel floor , its heavy made all the way around than the other brands.

My buddy had a 16 flatbed dump, 1/2" plate for the floor and sides. We did the math and it was something like 3 tons just in added on steel!

Back