Dura Disk II for SC 252

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumper63

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone out there installed the Sandvik Dura Disk II on the Vermeer 252? What are your observations? Any problems since installation? Really seen the 30% productivity increase as claimed by Sandvik?

Thanks,
Stumper63

I've got a Sandvik on my new machine - love it!! Looked at getting one for the tow behind - it was pretty expensive, think I'll wait till I replace the machine.

Tooth wear/life has been great. Biggest benefit is the lack of a giant mess. I don't do clean up but it still doesn't throw near as much stuff.

The 30% claim is probably pretty close.

I have one on my 252. I also love it. It seems to cut excellent. Takes a large bite and cuts fast. I would say at least 30%. Chips are a lot smaller. Teeth sharpeness seems to last long. The one thing you have to watch out for when you take too big of a bite it seems to keep cutting and hardly lugs down but suddenly the machine begins bouncing as more cutter teeth begin to engage the stump.

Wished I had the disk when I first started stumping. I have one on my larger Vermeer as well.

Thanks for the responses. Curbside....

Have you noticed any problems with the electric clutch since installing the duradisk? The rep at new river equipment said the duradisk for the 252 is
1.25" thick, the Vermeer disk is only .5". I was wondering if the increased weight of the duradisk would be hard on the clutch during engagement, seems like alot more mass to get moving. Or maybe the smaller teeth and pockets offset some of the weight versus the Vermeer ProSeries teeth and pockets? How many hours have you been running the new disk?

Has the duradisk reduced cutting vibration? Though it doesn't seem too bad with the ProSeries teeth.

Appreciate all the help.
Stumper63

Thanks for the responses. Curbside....

Have you noticed any problems with the electric clutch since installing the duradisk? The rep at new river equipment said the duradisk for the 252 is
1.25" thick, the Vermeer disk is only .5". I was wondering if the increased weight of the duradisk would be hard on the clutch during engagement, seems like alot more mass to get moving. Or maybe the smaller teeth and pockets offset some of the weight versus the Vermeer ProSeries teeth and pockets? How many hours have you been running the new disk?

Has the duradisk reduced cutting vibration? Though it doesn't seem too bad with the ProSeries teeth.

Appreciate all the help.
Stumper63

I start the disk exactly the same way as I did with the thinner disk. I reduce to idol and engage. The engine does not buck or cough it sounds exactly the same as the original disk. I have not offically weighted the two complete disks but I have lifted them. They feel very close to the same weight. The vermeer pockets are huge and add a lot of weight.

I put the disk on over the winter and have been running it on the 252 for about 50 hours. The cutting action is very smooth. You can almost hear the teeth sizzle through the wood. The only time you have to be careful with the 252 is when you take too big of a bite it seems you get to much teeth on wood action and if your not careful the machine will begin bucking and then stall. Easy to cure just ease off on the sweep.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare both the sandvik wheel and a greenteeth setup on this machine? I switched to greenteeth a couple of years ago and love them. I still run the large red tooth and am wondering if the sandvik wheel cuts about the same as greenteeth, better, worse...?

Dave M. at New River Equipment just quoted me $1050 + $125 shipping to West Coast US for the complete 252 Sandvik setup. No discounts of any kind yet available as far as I know.

Will click over the 2000 hr mark on my 2003 252 today, same original motor, untouched Kohler 25hp, been very reliable overall. One recent problem has been with the jackshafts from Vermeer. Went through three of them in three months, apparently a bad batch of steel, though I'm just coming up on the 70 hours or so that each of the previous ones failed, just snapped in two near the bearing. Hoping for the best.
What's the most hours you guys have gotten out of a 252? Would like to upgrade to faster machine, like the Carlton 4012, someday. Was wondering if spending $1500 on new wheel and teeth (including some spares) would be worth it on this old of a machine, or should save the $$$ and put it towards a new one.

Thanks for all the responses.

Back