Durafix what a top product

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matildasmate

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Guday fellow members and friends , this is for anyone that wants to make a aluminum mill or simply wants to weld dissimilar metals , but this product is only for non ferrous metals copper brass aluminum zinc galv and so on . Durafix is fantastic stuff to use , you can weld brass to copper or any mixture of non ferrous metals to each other , sorry no pics , do a search on youtube videos , you wont be sorry . Cheers MM

That is cool. Brings to mind a whole lot of different ideas to fab up... more work, just what I need.... thanks!!! :censored:

LOL
Ted

I have heard this works on mag chainsaw cases and other parts. Has anyone tried this?

I have some cracked/broken mag cases and parts laying around and would be willing to try. Just wanted to see if there was info, tips, tricks to learn before I duplicate effort.

Mr. HE:cool:

sorry to disagree but i have tried it a dont think much of it .
and its not a weld its only a solder .
not as strong in my opinion as a good brazing job or even silver solder.
but just my opinion .

sorry to disagree but i have tried it a dont think much of it .
and its not a weld its only a solder .
not as strong in my opinion as a good brazing job or even silver solder.
but just my opinion .

Wouldn't brazing or silver solder be used on steel?

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Durafix. But I have used it to good advantage on some restorations of aluminum parts.

I tried fixing a cracked mag case last night...

Hmmm.

I guess the best way to put it is that while it worked to a limited degree, I think you are better off fluxing and welding.

I agree, not as strong as a weld but when you have to repair some Aluminium irrigation pipes out in the middle of a padock with no power for miles and you can't move the pipe.....boy oh boy, this stuff is the "ants pants"! Gas burner, wire brush, Durafix, 10 minuites later and you are out of the mud and cow poo.:cheers: Somewhat cheaper than a TIG welder too.

I agree, not as strong as a weld but when you have to repair some Aluminium irrigation pipes out in the middle of a paddock with no power for miles and you can't move the pipe.....boy oh boy, this stuff is the "ants pants"! Gas burner, wire brush, Durafix, 10 minuites later and you are out of the mud and cow poo.:cheers: Somewhat cheaper than a TIG welder too.

well thats interesting cos thats what i wanted it for irrigation pipes , but i tried it on some scrap stuff ( damaged pipe )in my workshop using oxy and LP gas and failed i wanted to make up some 4 inch 45 degree bends for my sub mains.
i never had any instructions on using the stuff only what my brother told me he sent me a few sticks and just told me to get a stainless brush and clean up the area to be welded well before i try it, thats all i was told . but i still say its only solder , i would think for repairing a small whole it would be ok , but where some structural strength was needed i dont think it would do the job.

Mate, not being an expert on this stuff I don't really know, BUT, could the Oxy/LPG be a bit too hot? When I was doing power line work we used Oxy/Hydrogen for welding our underground cables but if you got the ally too hot it oxidised too quickly. You really needed a flame that was a bit on the "rich" (low on Oxy) to do a good job. Even with the LPG torch I was using I found I could get a bit too much heat in an area and the solder (which is really what it is, it's not a weld) just would not take. The other thing with this stuff, and any soldering for that matter, is that cleanliness is essential. The parent metals have to be CLEAN! Think of the surfaces as being polished rather than just having the crud cleaned off. When they scrub the first layer of Durafix solder what they are doing is removing any oxide that has developed as the solder has been applied and letting the solder flow over the metal before it can oxidise again. Aluminium oxidises incredibly quickly and you need to keep that stainless wire brush working hard just in front of your Durafix solder so that the oxidisation is minimised.
Perseverence pays off in the end.
Rember, CLEAN, CLEAN, and CLEAN AGAIN for best results with Aluminium.
A well made solder joint is as good as or better than a not quite so well made welded jont, especially if the material to be joined has been heat-treated and the welding heat and uneven cooling causes lots of stresses in the metal.
Dennis.

Latest posts

Back