Dusty Basement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Doug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My wood stove is in my unfinished basement and the floor gets very dust from the wood and ashes. Is their any thing or kind of sweeping compound that would be safe to use? I would think most of it is flammable.

Same here, used to hose and squeegee but have pool table and other things that you would not want to get wet in basement now. I got a large mop bucket and string mop and give it heck a few times during heating season.

I always hose the floor down a couple times a year . wash it into the sump hole or floor drain . It also adds some much needed moisture to the air

the cause is your solution! dampen some saw dust push it around and problem solved. i use it in the shop for oil dry, not as effective but it's free. :givebeer:

They make a water based floor sweeping compound. The stuff that we get is green in color and can be had at the box stores. We use it at work because it doesnt leave a film on the concrete which can affect floor covering adhesives.

I pick-up/sweep-up the chunks and use an old upright vacuum cleaner couple times a week to keep the dust under control.

Right on, I have a cheap bissel bag less that I bought new at welfaremart for $59 four years ago, when it gets plugged up with junk I wash the filters with the garden hose, can't kill that thing, have used it to even vac up floor dry in my shop and oily saw chips. Best part is it has HEPA fliters and does not make dust when cleaning.

Right on, I have a cheap bissel bag less that I bought new at welfaremart for $59...

LOL...
Mine is an old Dirt Devil the wife retired some years ago; it uses bags, but they're cheap enough... I've abused the crap out of it and it just keeps-on-keepin'-on. The beater brush is worn down to little nubbins from vacuuming the concrete in the basement so it just barely touches... but that's good because it don't throw stuff around that way. The accessory hose is always attached so I can grab it on-the-fly to get in tight spots and such. I've sucked-up everything from nuts and bolts to broken glass to spilled bird shot with it... Heck, I treat my shop vac with more respect.

Latest posts

Back