EAB has reached me...Need some help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpy VRTC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
EAB was just identified in Waverly, Ia and is about 20 miles from my home town. The state extension office is holding various informational seminars to educate homeowners and business owners the devastation that EAB poses. They are informing them to be proactive in saving their Ash trees before they die. They are talking about treatment and pushing TREE-AGE.

I own a small tree care company that I started a few years ago. I am thinking about getting an Arborjet quickjet system and start treating Ash around my area.

My question is; What is the best way to charge for treating a tree? I have looked into the system and TREEAGE and they are not cheap. Do you charge for chemical used, or by DBH? The numbers that I am coming up with do not seem to be very cost effective. Any thoughts, concerns, ideas or problems and successes will be greatly appreciated.

I charge by inch of dbh.

I have a quickjet...waste of $. I know the treeIV is more money....but it is worth 10x the quickjet. I can't tell you the last time I even tried the quickjet.

Read through the "Wisconsin" thread stickied above.

Purchased 3 IV complete sets. Glad we did. Great for treating multiple trees at same time.

We are new to EAB in our area, all the info says to start the use of imidicloprid to protect healthy trees, hence being proactive. If the tree is infested this treatment is insufficient & should not be used as a reactive. Please advise if incorrect.

We are new to EAB in our area, all the info says to start the use of imidicloprid to protect healthy trees, hence being proactive. If the tree is infested this treatment is insufficient & should not be used as a reactive. Please advise if incorrect.

Will say it again. EVERY TREE WE TREATED WITH IMIDICLOPRID HAS DIED. Even the pro actively treated ones. Just trying to provide accurate info to you.

I disagree...Imidacloprid does work. There are a number I have treated here where it has worked well - some since 2007. Does not work as well as Tree-AGE, but it does work most of the time. Best bet is to use both.

You have to be using the max rates of imidacloprid (make sure you are using a product labeled for 2x rates for trees larger than 15" dbh). You also have to be applying it correctly. Apply just around the base of the tree - within 6" of the base (or less). Either dig a shallow trench or use a shallow injector.

Latest posts

Back