Ear Protection?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLSamantha

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey there...

As you know, i am Ciscoguy's wifey and my hubby is always purchasing for me proper PPE for cutting and splitting, but here is my dilemma...I wear the proper clothing, gloves, boots, helmet when necessary, and goggles; but i find if difficult and do not know if it is necessary or even safe for me to wear ear protection. I am half deaf (deaf in my left ear) due to an injury when i was 11, and hubby has told me that i should wear the earplugs that he bought for me today so that i can protect my right ear from hearing damage and possible loss. However...when we are cutting this is my only way of hearing if he yells to me or to listen to things around me. After trying the earplug while cutting today, i noticed that all i could hear was the saw and if he needed to say something to me from a distance there would be no chance of me hearing him....what do you recommend? He mentioned to me that the majority of the noise is on my left side anyway ( i use a stihl MS 210 primarily, once in a while the Dolmar 510) but is there another way i can protect my hearing and still be able to hear other noises besides the saws? Any info would be great...:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Hey there...

As you know, i am Ciscoguy's wifey and my hubby is always purchasing for me proper PPE for cutting and splitting, but here is my dilemma...I wear the proper clothing, gloves, boots, helmet when necessary, and goggles; but i find if difficult and do not know if it is necessary or even safe for me to wear ear protection. I am half deaf (deaf in my left ear) due to an injury when i was 11, and hubby has told me that i should wear the earplugs that he bought for me today so that i can protect my right ear from hearing damage and possible loss. However...when we are cutting this is my only way of hearing if he yells to me or to listen to things around me. After trying the earplug while cutting today, i noticed that all i could hear was the saw and if he needed to say something to me from a distance there would be no chance of me hearing him....what do you recommend? He mentioned to me that the majority of the noise is on my left side anyway ( i use a stihl MS 210 primarily, once in a while the Dolmar 510) but is there another way i can protect my hearing and still be able to hear other noises besides the saws? Any info would be great...:greenchainsaw:

First off Glad to see you posting again STIHLSamantha......

I have selective hearing in both ears.....(comes with marriage for 20years)

I wear a Peltor helmet with 22dB rated muffs when cuttin and I can hear some stuff but not all......

Last edited:
i have looked at the options out there, but i guess i worded my question incorrectly....is it more worth it to wear the PPE for my ears and try to save my hearing or is it better for me to hear what is going on around me? :confused:

I vote for saving the hearing that you still have. I use the Leightning L3 (NR30) at the snowmaking plant and at home. They are very nice.

attachment.php

http://www.bilsom.com/family/index/23

oooo...those are nice...are the earplugs that my dude bought for me just as effective seeing how i only really need one ear covered?....my hubby wanted to buy me a helmet with a face shield and ear covering...but i told him that might be a waste if i shouldn't have my ears covered...he's so thoughtful like that....

Last edited:
Ear plugs

If you are workin around fallin trees, maybe not, Otherwise Id probably use one plug, I love ear plugs, around the shop, or the saws,.I wish I would hav started 30 years ago,!!!! .E,J,

I put the DB meter on my 044 the other day it has a 3 port muffler. Measured from 2 ft. behind the saw it went past the 120 db mark and pined it self over 130 db. Most ear plug or muffs are around 25 db. That still is above the recomendation by OSHA so plan on using muffs in addition to plugs. My thinking is your running the saw so stay the H:censored: ell away untill its been shut down. As I recall 60ft . min distance is the safe distance in case the chain throws a link .

How about the 'noise cancelling' head sets? Do they allow one to cut out the annoying/harmful noise and still let you hear someone trying to get your attention?

I use a regular (non-electronic) pair of headsets. As I understand it, hearing damage is caused by both loud noises and steady repetitive noise.

Harry K

Hearing

While the loss of hearing all that is around a sawyer does have a down side. You must realize how much could you hear over the chain saw at RPM's anyway.

The use of a lookout is very foolish. It sounds like a great idea but the time frames associated with falling hazards exclude this as a rational possibility.

The loss of your hearing is guaranteed without ear protection.
Use your sight and judgment to protect.

Peltor offers several models of hearing protectors that are electronic and they amplify low noises like speech - and they don't amplify loud noises. I have never used them but from the description they should help you limit the noise while still being able to hear the important stuff.

Here is a link on eBay for a set as an example - however you should shop around and find the best price and model for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PELTOR-TACT...goryZ383QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have ringing my my ears (I would try to spell tinnitus but am not sure of the spelling). I am really careful about using ear plugs or ear muffs when using my splitter or saw so I don't make it any worse. My wife just bought me the Stihl Helmet with the earmuffs and I replaced the muffs with the Peltor Radio muffs. I usually cut and split alone and need the company the radio provides....and the radio drowns out the little voices in my head.

I agree with what most people are saying here. Since you are partially deaf in one ear already, then you know the value of what hearing you have left. Protect that as much as you can! I didn't use hearing protection for quite a while until I noticed that my hearing wasn't as good as it should be. I now use ear plugs when climbing and the helmet with muffs on the ground. My largest saw is modded and requires plugs and muffs. I have a modded 335 on the way and intend on using plugs and muffs climbing now.

Use a loud whistle to get each others attention in situations that need it. You will be able to hear that, even over a very loud saw through muffs and plugs, and will know to turn off your noisemaker and uncover your ears to hear.

Go with the protection. I use a full helmet setup most of the time, or occassionally just a pair of muffs if I'm using a small saw to cut up limbs. I have a set of muffs for my lawn tractor and another for the splitter.

If hubby is doing something that requires your attention and you can't hear him, he'll figure a way to let you know.

Sound dampening technology has really advanced over the years. You could look into getting a pair of muffs or plugs that are tuned to filter out only certain frequencies. Conceivably you could filter the range of a saw running at top rpms but still be able to pick out the lower vocal ranges. I imagine it would be alot more pricey than a $45 PPE helmet, but they are out there if you want to spend the money.

I never wore hearing protection when I was young, but now just mowing on a diesel tractor gets "tiring on my ears", so i learned real fast to just wear a set off muffs and save all the hearing that you can. I'm not a freak about it, but lets face it--a chainsaw is pretty loud when you are really close to it.
I'll wear mine, becuase If the saw is running I doubt I'll hear much else around me anyway.

Wear at least ear plugs (they don't work for me tho) but I recommend muffs. I wear muffs when sawing, splitting, running the loader, running the CAT, and even just cutting the grass. It doesn't take much to damage your hearing and it doesn't come back. If there is a dangerous situation heading your way that hubby needs to warn you about then you and he are too close together. As some one else suggested, a whistle is good. Be aware of your surroundings and don't put yourself in a compromising situation that needs someone to get your attention (I know, not always doable). Just my 2/100 of a dollars worth.

BTW, the Bilsom muffs are VERY comfortable. I need to figure a way to get them on my hard hat.

Protect what hearing you have, it sounds like the more advanced muffs may be the way to go, for the way you and Cisco work.
Hand signals work wonders, as does sign language.

Whatever you decide on, let us know how it works for you.:cheers:

I'm 61 years old and was always way too pig headed about protection of almost any kind, particularly the "really unnecessary stuff" like ear protection. My daughter gave me the Stihl helmet system with mask and ear protection as well as a pair of the wrap around protective chaps. The helmet/ear muffs are remarkably comfortable to use and my only regret is that I didn't start using both pieces of protection when I was younger-I would have better hearing today and many pairs of Carhart coveralls that hadn't been ruined by saw cuts-yes I know I have been very lucky that I only cut the Carharts.

Hugenpoet

I wear my cell phone in an inside pocket where I'm sure it will be in contact with my body and set it to "vibrate" (no stupid jokes, please). If my wife needs me, she can call, and understands that I might be doing something that might prevent me from answering the call, so I'll call her back ASAP.

Hearing protection is a must, period. It's the high-frequency sounds of the chain on the bar that do the most damage, and you don't notice it until it's too late. Engine noise (on an unmodded saw, at least) is not quite as bad, but will still damage your ears. I make my living with my ears, so I protect my hearing as much as I can. I will admit to putting my earphones and MP3 player on under the muffs when running the splitter, weedeating, and such that doesn't require the level of attentiveness that a chainsaw requires.

Keep what hearing you have, I'm sure you appreciate it more than the rest of us anyway.

100% vote for wearing hearing protection...absolutely no question. Heck, I even wear it when splitting with a maul.

My wife is deaf in her left ear as well. She doesn't cut wood with me, but if we're ever in the shop making something together or she's around me cutting, I insist she wears something. Its just not worth the risk...even more so when she's already down to 1/2 hearing capacity!

I don't wear ear plugs as much anymore after investing in a nice set of ear muffs. I like being able to take them on and off with dirty hands when I need to speak to someone. Plus its just faster in general. I do tend to wear earplugs when splitting though just because its more of a physical work out and the muffs tend to get in the way.

At 85 dB and up, hearing is damaged...permanently. Maybe not to a noticeable level right away (depending on just how high the dB is), but damage IS being done.

Not trying to go "doom and gloom" here, but by not wearing hearing protection, its not a matter of IF someone is damaging their hearing...they ARE damaging their hearing.

Back