Eastern Hemlock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section to post it in or not and if it is not can the admins mods etc... please move it to the correct section but i may have access to some giant old growth hemlock trees theyre around 3 foot if not more at the butt and over a hundred foot tall and i was wondering whats eastern hemlock lumber worth?? Also I know that these old hemlocks tend to have quite a bit of rot and apart from looking at the tree and seeing if its in rough shape or not like crappy bark etc... or boring with a chainsaw at the butt what are some other ways to see if they have rot or not and more importantly to estimate how much.

if I were you I would just leave them standing. they will probably have hollow butts, if they are semi good they will probably contain alot of ring shake, which makes the lumber useless, If i'm logging hemlock for lumber purposes, I seek smaller trees, on moister ground, we sell the lumber for $800/1000bf. I'm sawing a load of hemlock that a farmer brought over. most are a waste a time due to shake, also getting alot of bowing in the cants as the trees were cut on a hillside and the pith is well off center.

Well i went to look at them today and good god those are some enormous trees some of 2 of them measured out at over 5 foot at the butt and there were 6 3-4 foot diameters and heights are enormous. However many of them are dead, broken at more than halfway, hollow butts etc... the owner just wants them gone i guess i should just charge him for removing them as the lumber value is worthless on them. Could you get something out of pulp for them???

likely the pulp mill has a max diameter of around 28-30". Just ask first. They will take shards if it shatters on the ground. But Better ask the pulp mill of they take hemlock in the first place- questionable.

Could you just dump them and limb them and leave them lay? I cut a little hazard tree large hemlock job once, 20 or so stems, just left them to rot.

Watch those tops breaking out as they fall or if you have to wedge them! I found even though dead I had plenty of good hinge wood so don't leave too much if you have to pound on them.

Back