Easy and hard to start saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What make and model saw which you own that consistently starts cold and consistently starts when warm?

Which saws do you own that consistently have problems flooding, starting cold or restarting when warm?

Personally I have a Dolmar 7900 that has consistently started cold 5-7 pulls, and restarts when warm 1 pull.

Wildthing that never restarts when warm but you can start it when cold but it is not consistent with the number of pulls.

346xp ne always fires right up.

the 395xp i used to own always started on the 2nd pull.

All three of mine seem to be really easy to start, the 2153 leads the pack though.

The hardest was a Shindaiwa 575 I had, I never did get that one figured out when it was cold.....

Mike

If my 026 see's a piece of wood it will start right up.Best starten saw ever
My old 056 mag was same way, one pull,cut wood.
my 66's yikes!! when there cold yank, yank, yank,yank till they get warm
then there a one pull saw

they all start very easy. but my 372 for some reason needs a few more pills then the 359 044 and 026, my 084 even started quicker. all saws tuned and runeing good compression. but every ouince in awhile the 084 would try to rip my arm off. the 70cc saws on acasion when i get tired will tug at my arm alittle

they all start very easy. but my 372 for some reason needs a few more pills then the 359 044 and 026, my 084 even started quicker. all saws tuned and runeing good compression. but every ouince in awhile the 084 would try to rip my arm off. the 70cc saws on acasion when i get tired will tug at my arm alittle

My all start easy 3 or 4 cold 1 hot once in a while the 038 will jerk your arm a little if you had gave it a half ass try.

My lightly modded 359 starts easily, tho you have to know the drill from cold. Full choke until it pops, even slightly, then choke off until it starts. It's oiled the plug a couple of times, but my experience with karts holds me in good stead: just put in a clean plug (always have one) and you're good to go.

Warm, it always starts on the first pull.

And thanks again to the board for steering me to the 359. A real champ with a non-cat muffler, opened up a bit and mixture richened to suit, courtesy of a nice little tach I picked up cheap, again on the board's advice. I ripped some dry oak with a crosscut chain last week ( the only rip chain I had with me was new and I didn't want to spoil it for a junk job) with nary a bobble.

Torque, baby!

My 029 super starts on 2 pulls cold and one hot. Best starting saw we have.

Hardest to start xp 1000 Homelite. Choke pull cuss, pop. No choke pull and cuss pull and cuss till it decides to start. Hot 2 pulls.

The boy has 350 Huskey that floods pretty bad but it will clear and go.

starting

My mac 3200 saw can be a pain sometimes to start someday I will pull it apart and readjust the intake or make a reed cage for it seams flawed on piston timeing and sprays fuel out the carb and floods easy on many of the older saws if the points are wore or off a little there a pain to start so resetting the points will get them going on first pull again most of the time provided the carb is clean..

OK, of the saws I own, the 2165 always a ##### to start from cold if sitting for more than a few days, and especially so if sitting for weeks/months. Once fired up and running, it's sweet. When using it often, from sitting overnight she'll start fine every day.

The 036, awesome, I've had it sitting for a year or more with gas in the tank and carb. About 6 or 7 pulls and away she'll go, and it'll idle low smooth and quiet without a hint of stalling within seconds. AND it's been thrashed to hell and back. Classy motors on pro-stihls.

My pruning saws, 200T always starts no sweat, guaranteed to start effortlessly no matter what. Totally utterly reliable. If it won't start then ya know somethings wrong..

335XPT, ha! from cold, the sulking ##### will have you sweating, gasping and swearing within 30 seconds. Totally utterly unpredictable. You think you've got it sussed and it'll prove you wrong time and time again. No wonder husky 335's get abused and kicked around.. Once fired up and running though, an easy one pull start every time all day.

My other saws, they're old dungers, you can never be sure if they'll start easy or not. The reed valve 009 pretty damn reliable from cold though

346xp starts great all the time. ive done a fair amount of crap to that thing aswell. not sure if i did more harm that good lol. she still runs like a top either way.

the 262 can at times be very frusterating. ill get her tuned so it runs mint. then the next time it wont start or run worth a crap.

Twinkle and The Barbie Saw start right up. They are 440s. I failed to bond with a 361, it flooded and then just gave up the will to start. Last I heard it was headed back to the saw shop. Old Sparkless, the 032, is a bear to start due to no compression release and probably needing some work. Old Sparkless only starts if kept in a warm place, and then reluctantly.

"Unless by "hard to start" you mean rip your arm off if you miss the compression stroke... "

My original Shindaiwa 500 would tear at the fingers on occasion.

My Homelite 300 is a bit fussy about wanting to start. The Shindaiwa's are remarkably easy.

the 262 can at times be very frusterating. ill get her tuned so it runs mint. then the next time it wont start or run worth a crap.

Mine is my best starting saw!
I think the high compression helps it start, As long as your really committed to pulling the rope!

The 361 that I had was easy to flood. Never had a saw so easy to flood. It was an embarressment to cut wood with the buds and my new saw would have to have the plug pulled to get her to go. I tried every way known to man to start that thing when it was cold and it did'nt matter it would flood.

Back