eBay Honesty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new to sending messages on this site and not sure how to start. My problem is I need a piston and ring for a 041 Farm Boss.

Hey- it worked- these computers can be pretty cool- about the 041-some dummy(me) put straight gas in it which caused the problem with the piston.

Hi ramnod,

Go to the used Equipment section, and click the "new thread" button(top left) and post what you are looking for.

well as one of the members pointed out he will take the saw back but i am to be stuck with the shipping, so at $70 it is one third the price of the saw, i think if someone tries to sell what is not as they describe they should end up paying shipping both ways, does anybody else agree?

Outright crooks should be responsible for shipping both ways, but if you think it's tough to get your money back, I think you'll find it tougher to get a crook to advance you shipping money. I guess my ebay philosophy has changed since I started using it. I no longer buy "big ticket" items. Plain and simple, the higher the price, the more often I get dissapointed in what's delivered. I'm sure I have my hopes high, but pictures and phases like "excellent" obviously mean different things to different people. I'll still buy something like a chainsaw if my gut says it's pretty good, but no more tractors, dirt bikes, etc. Parts saws are a no-brainer for the prices paid, vs individual parts, and I just have to give Dean a quick attaboy for a recent parts saw he sold to me on ebay - he answered all my questions and what I got was exactly what described. Thanks!

Lakeside53 said:
Paypal works fine when everything goes great, but it's a REAL PITA when you want to make a claim, or worse, when the guy you sold it too makes a claim on you - Paypal just freezes those funds, and often your entire account. Try and get a real person on the phone - not! Also, watch out for E-checks (don't take them or wait for them to clear). If the guys bank backs out a few days after you ship, you're screwed. If Paypal wants money from you for a claim, and even if you disagree, they reach back into your back account and take it, then argue. Remember that bank account and all that fine print you didn't read when you when you signed up?

My advise:

1) Don't give paypal access to your entire bank account. Set up another savings account, put minimal funds in it, and use that one.

2) Use your credit card to pay for purchases. Paypal HATES it ('cos they make almost nothing on the transaction), and makes you jump though a couple of hoops to use it, but if you have a problem with a purchase, call your credit card company and wham, paypal is debited and your credited until the charge is resolved at the credit card company end. And, remove your cash balance back to your minimal back account before paying with a credit card, 'cos paypal will use it first, then the balance to the card.
I'm glad you pointed that out about PayPal. Although I have had no problem to speak of ,they are always emailing me and saying a third party is into my account and will I update my info. I pay will a credit card and no ones been in my account but they seem to hold the funds before releasing them for a week. Is this standard?
I'm expecting a pissing match with some girl in England who can't understand why it takes more then 3 days to get an MO from Canada. She didn't want PayPal because she says they hold funds. Is it my fault she spent her welfare check on crack and needs the money yesterday? lol I bet it takes 3 weeks for me to get my item. Will I whine, of course not, but if she leaves bad feedback she gets both barrels in return.:blob2:
John
Some people are so freaking unreasonable.

I have had few problems on ebay, actually only one item purchased that was beneath my expectations, and that was a lot of LP records that were "mint", I expected at least decent. Out of 12, 4 were actually as advertised, 4 were decent enough, 2 were just okay, and two looked like they had been used surfing across a parking lot. The four were worth what I paid, so I gave him a neutral, but emailed him beforehand. He was very apologetic, and offered to take them all back. Had a good feedback rating and was worried about damaging it. He was an "everything" seller who had no expertise. With something like a saw I prefer those who have experience with them. Go with a guy with some history and without obviously bogus negatives, and you will do okay. And cover your a$$ with Paypal...and the seperate account thing.

I recently got a deal from a guy in Florida. He received a few negatives after Katrina. Couldn't believe the comments from those idiots, called him a crook because he couldn't ship, and for a time couldn't even monitor the winners since he had no internet. I deal with a Miami company, and they were working on cell phones for a week, and had no internet for almost another. He had over 1000 positives, all negatives over a two week period.

Mark

Do a google search for paypal problems. Some real scary reading in there. Not being a seller, it will be a real cold day in the hot place before I give them access to my account.

Here a web site to go to about paypal..http://www.aboutpaypal.org/

and
Ebay is by far the most popular online auction site in the world.

Unfortunately with online auctions accounting for the vast majority of online fraud, ebay has become a home, not only to the honest trader, but to thousands of online theives and scam artists as well.

The following articles are not provided to discourage users from using ebay.com

Keep internet users aware of the various scams present, and will hopefully prevent readers from falling victim to these scams.
The Latest Ebay Scams:
Western Union Scam
The Free Item Scam
The Wholesale List Scam
The Picture Only Scam *New*
Other Common Ebay Scams:
Triangulation
The "Buy and Switch"
Page Jacking
Overpricing Shipping & Handling
Fake/Shill Auctions
Item Misrepresentation
Failure to Pay Scam
Item Never Received Scam
Shill Feedback/Feedback Scams

There is alot more to read on this too..

Allan

I hope this helps

Last edited:
One of the problems with E-Bay's rating system is that you can't prevent the unscrupulous seller (or buyer) from leaving you negative feedback, when you're in the right and advise them that you intend to leave neg. feedback for them, should they fail to correct whatever the problem is. I enjoy firearms and had a problem with a buyer a while back, concerning payment. The guy wasn't willing to wait for my bank's payment verification and I wasn't about to mail out a $1200 rifle before verification was made. He demanded his money back - I sent it back. He wrote me and said that the situation was unfortunate and that he didn't intend to leave me negative feedback over it; but if I chose to leave him neg. feedback, he would be forced to "reciprocate." So even 100% ratings don't necessarily mean that things are "golden."

oldsaw said:
I recently got a deal from a guy in Florida. He received a few negatives after Katrina. Couldn't believe the comments from those idiots, called him a crook because he couldn't ship, and for a time couldn't even monitor the winners since he had no internet. I deal with a Miami company, and they were working on cell phones for a week, and had no internet for almost another. He had over 1000 positives, all negatives over a two week period.

Mark

I recently bought a vacuum tube from a guy called esurplusonline.com. After assuring me that Katrina was no problem I sent him his funds. Guess what? Even worse when I went to look the guy up online I found out his other hobby involves the gay rodeo circuit. It would have been more fun to just burn the money.
John...

Back