Ebay shipping damage.....thoughts????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup--exceeding good ebayer--but one way or another--id try to fry the post office--if enough frys happened--ill bet that the usps would be a lot more careful all across the usa!!!!!!

Fry the US PO all you like, but I'd bet it was bad packaging.. bars get lost all the time by all freight companies.. they bust though flimsy packaging and slide out..

It probably was bad packaging and it got caught in their sorting maching which caused it to rip out of the box. It's in one of their sorting stations between you and the seller somewhere but a simple claim with the box in hand at your local PO will resolve that fairly quick. 4 months on a claim is caused by people not doing the procedure correctly. it'll take 30 days for sure but... at the very least it'll get taken care of either way. Hope all works out for ya.

just go postal.... shoot i sold a tilt and trim unit to a guy in sweden, after 6 months he finally found out where the package was. it was in customs. i tried for two months on locating it and all i could find was it left the u.s. this was shipped ups. ive been lucky so far, when shipping something i always think to the beginning of ace ventura, when he was delivering a package.

I just got off the phone with the seller. he is going to get ahold of the USPS first thing in the morning with the pictures I am going to send him of the box damage. If the post office won't do anything, he said he will refund me a fair price for a bar and chain. he said he has only had one problem with the USPS in the lat 4 years and the claim took 4 months or something along those lines to get resolved. he said he would rather reimburse me for the bar than going through the usps hassle, if there is one....

Might turn out better than I thought!!!!

Ohhh,, Tayy,,, Buttwheat!!!!!!!

No that we've sorted all that out!!!!!
Let's see a pic of the new toy?????? Eh!!!!! LOLOLOL!!!!:cheers:

Like blackoak said above - ups 100.00 insurance is a joke - I had a missing item [empty box] arrive years ago, they deemed it "poor packaging" and wouldn't pay a dime. Dipsticks. Good luck stang - Hope it ends well -

Only dealings I had was fishing gear I mailed myself from alaska so I had room for fish. They busted up my rods (in airline approved container) had to be when they inspected and closed it up, broke both tips clean off. Once it arrived and i saw damage took in town to local post master, paid on the spot with one form to fill out, glad I got the ins.

C.B.

Fry the US PO all you like, but I'd bet it was bad packaging.. bars get lost all the time by all freight companies.. they bust though flimsy packaging and slide out..

Exactly. The shipper is doing the right thing, and he should because it's his fault. It shouldn't be hard to predict the winner if you pit a bar nose sprocket vibrating against cardboard. The cardboard is going to lose, and this should have been accounted for in packing the saw. It wasn't.

I had to go pick up a saw once because the bar had come through the side, and the idiot mail carrier (she's a real lazy rural carrier) had decided the "teeth" were dangerous, so she refused to deliver it. :dizzy:

best way to pack a bar is double wrap cardboard with fiberglass reinforced tape around the ends on both layers,,,, uhhh and if you can find american made cardboard is the best,,, takes longer and cost a little more but well worth it,, and if its a long bar build a handle in the middle with some polyline and a piece of plastic tubing!!!

Dean @ Washington Pro saws screws em to a piece of paneling or thin ply board and then carboard sleeves em if ya want to get serious!!!!!

Last edited:
Sounds like a decent seller.

If I were the buyer and if the seller wasn't co-operative I'd simply file a SNAD with Paypal. Sellers have the burden of getting items delivered to buyer's in the condition described in the ad no matter what their terms state. (ie Paypal's terms trump seller's terms all the time). Some seller's hope buyer's will pay for extra insurance but in reality insurance is for the seller and rarely covers damage unless the outer box is severely damaged. Paypal rules for buyer's 99% of the time. If not, then a cc chargeback is a buyer's second backup in a dispute.

I bought 7900 a while back from a AS frequenter (who has been pretty quiet since) and the saw and bar were not packed very well. The bar punched through the box and was lost. I told him and he complained he was already not making as much money as he would have liked, and told me to contact UPS. I filed a claim, but the sender has to complete the process.

After some frustrating emails, I gave up on the sender and decided never to buy a saw through the mail again from a non dealer (he said he was a dealer but it turns out that was exaggerated).

Not worth the hassle for me to mess with sellers that are not stand up. For a few bucks moreI could have simply bought a new 7900 from a real dealer (he said it was like new which was also an exaggeration), charged it to a cc (instead of the seller making me send a MO and the whole thing taking several weeks) and have some recourse when things went sideways.

The whole thing ended up being a crummy experience when buying a new saw is supposed to be a fun. Life's too short for extra grief.

You know who you are....

Last edited:
Paypal

long story short, bought a saw on ebay.

Saw arrived and there was a tear in the box, bar and chain missing. Saw was shipped to me through the USPS. There were little stickers over the tear in the box that said some contents may be missing. I contacted the seller and let him know. Anyone have any luck with the USPS? I have never filed a claim and wondered what is needed to be done to try to get the bar replaced or reimbursed for the bar and chain. It was left on my porch, so I didn't have to sign for anything...I've always been told to inspect items before signing, but this was not signed...

Check with Paypal dude... They should do something... They ARE there to protect you bro...

:cheers: eh?

I agree.....It just happened to me ......recieved 9 out of 31 parts on poor packaging......Seller refunded 1/2 total sale ....The parts missing were the parts I needed....

He left bar hanging out of box 5 inches all taped up...must have gotten cought and tore box wide open....

What you have experienced is one of the rampant problems with Epay. Very few people know anything about the proper way to package an item. I've had so much trouble in the past its one of the top reasons I quite Epay. In the long run its just easier to deal with a business especially the way most people rip you off on the shipping lately.

What you have experienced is one of the rampant problems with Epay. Very few people know anything about the proper way to package an item. I've had so much trouble in the past its one of the top reasons I quite Epay. In the long run its just easier to deal with a business especially the way most people rip you off on the shipping lately.

People are charging more for shipping to keep there cost of sale to ebay down......

I bought a 395 oem P/C for 35.00 and 100.00 shipping

People are charging more for shipping to keep there cost of sale to ebay down......
Oh I know, I just hate it when the cost of doing business ends up tacked onto the shipping. Most times at that point I might as well go to the store and buy it.Most Epay shipping is so over inflated its not worth the item or the hassles that become part of the sale.

Oh I know, I just hate it when the cost of doing business ends up tacked onto the shipping. Most times at that point I might as well go to the store and buy it.Most Epay shipping is so over inflated its not worth the item or the hassles that become part of the sale.

Shipping cost should be of no consequence to you. You should figure that cost into your bid, and bid accordingly.

Shipping cost should be of no consequence to you. You should figure that cost into your bid, and bid accordingly.
Thats exactly what I do an accordingly not bid when the shipping is out of reason.

I bought 7900 a while back from a AS frequenter (who has been pretty quiet since) and the saw and bar were not packed very well. The bar punched through the box and was lost. I told him and he complained he was already not making as much money as he would have liked, and told me to contact UPS. I filed a claim, but the sender has to complete the process.

After some frustrating emails, I gave up on the sender and decided never to buy a saw through the mail again from a non dealer (he said he was a dealer but it turns out that was exaggerated).

Not worth the hassle for me to mess with sellers that are not stand up. For a few bucks moreI could have simply bought a new 7900 from a real dealer (he said it was like new which was also an exaggeration), charged it to a cc (instead of the seller making me send a MO and the whole thing taking several weeks) and have some recourse when things went sideways.

The whole thing ended up being a crummy experience when buying a new saw is supposed to be a fun. Life's too short for extra grief.

You know who you are....

You could at least give people the area which this seller was from.

Packing is pretty important in any shipping claim....and I have yet to lose a bar due to packaging but it does happen.

In shipping large saws with long bars I package them separately as this seems to be the only way though it costs a little more......and sometimes the two packages arrive on different days...which can freak people out.

Back