Echo 452VL - Stihl MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which STIHL chainsaw should I Get or Keep?

• Total voters

URAR1004

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First Post! I've been reading a lot since I signed on. I don't cut very much but I enjoy it a lot. I cut down 12 full size citrus trees with 24"+ bases two months ago and last week I needed to take down a Palm tree. So I decided to buy a new saw. Purchased a MS310, took down the Palm tree. Thought if I spending this much why not get a better saw. Based on everyone's opinions on this forum the MS361 seemed to fit my needs the best. Although it took me a few minuets to decide between the MS361 in one hand and the MS441 in the other. I only need one saw, I think... So I purchased the MS361 to fill all my needs. I don't chop much would yet, but my wife wants to move to Eastern Arizona where we would be using 8-12 cords a year for heating. My dealer said if I want to go bigger he said I have until Saturday to decide. I belive "Bigger is allways Better" and "There's no kill, like over kill" I just feel like the MS361 is big enough? It came with a 20" bar. I hope to take down more trees soon but it's a once every few months thing.

For $200 more should I really over-kill the situation and get the MS 441?

I also want to sell my Echo 452VL It has compression but won't start, should I fix it and sell or sell it as-is? What's it worth in as-is condition vs. running condition.

Why does MADRONE think the MS361 is a POS?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Isaac in Arizona

Last edited:
8-12 cords in Arizona??? My folks go down there for the winter where it is WARM you want to burn some wood come up here, then you will need heat. We get 4 months or more with snow on the ground and about a month and a half of -40*c over night lows.

So how cold does it get there?

Go for the 361, :cheers:

8-12 cords in Arizona??? My folks go down there for the winter where it is WARM you want to burn some wood come up here, then you will need heat. We get 4 months or more with snow on the ground and about a month and a half of -40*c over night lows.

So how cold does it get there?

Go for the 361, :cheers:

There are parts of Arizona at high altitude and we can get severe winters... here's a pic of my driveway this year. I'm only home about half the time and we burn 3 cords or so per year.

Those little 452s are great saws, if a little heavy. You might get $80-100 if you shine it up real nice.

attachment.php

I have both saws. But for what you are going to cut, just keep the 361 and purchase some chaps and a helmet system with the extra money.

361 is all you need, but I had to vote the other way. I own a 441 and put an 8 pin on it, it really cuts the wood! gets me back to the house quickly so I don't spend half the winter out there cuttin' wood, unless I want to of course. the 20" bar has allowed me to cut up some 40" wood without difficulty. Don't think there is much wood that size in eastern AZ but have not spent much time there either. Good luck with your decision.

This basically depends on how you feel about the extra weight and bulk of the 441.

One thing is stationary cutting - a different thing is going into the woods, and handle everything with the same saw. At some point you will want a lighter limbing saw if you go with the 441......:popcorn: :givebeer:

Unless you will be using a 25-28" bar more than the 20", stick with your 361. I would rather use a smaller saw for firewood but if you want more power, step up to the 441.

361 Best all round saw I beleive. Unless your really getting into alot of larger trees, the 361 is light and nimble, easily do what your going to ask of it! Bruce

There are parts of Arizona at high altitude and we can get severe winters... here's a pic of my driveway this year. I'm only home about half the time and we burn 3 cords or so per year.

Well I never knew Az got snow let alone that much, COOL!!! I have only been there once in January and it was like a cool summers day compared to the cold I'm used to at that time of year.

So I have heard that saws like the 441 with their strato charged system don't work the greatest in high altitudes, is this true?

This basically depends on how you feel about the extra weight and bulk of the 441.

One thing is stationary cutting - a different thing is going into the woods, and handle everything with the same saw. At some point you will want a lighter limbing saw if you go with the 441......:popcorn: :givebeer:

While cutting up a large 40" DBH post oak tree last summer I found that I could limb much faster with my 441 versus the much smaller [approx 40 cc] John Deere saw that was loaned to me. The smaller saw could not keep up and I found that I was frustrated because it did not have the speed or power to do the job, 1 cut with the JD versus 3-4 with the 441. I personally will limb with the 441 becuase it is much faster and has the power to go through a 4" limb in less than a heartbeat. This leaves me more time for:popcorn:

While cutting up a large 40" DBH post oak tree last summer I found that I could limb much faster with my 441 versus the much smaller [approx 40 cc] John Deere saw that was loaned to me. The smaller saw could not keep up and I found that I was frustrated because it did not have the speed or power to do the job, 1 cut with the JD versus 3-4 with the 441. I personally will limb with the 441 becuase it is much faster and has the power to go through a 4" limb in less than a heartbeat. This leaves me more time for:popcorn:

Sure, but the 361 is a pretty fast limber as well, and a lot less weight than the 441.....:)

Back