Echo 590 lean adjust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey006

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, after 4 years of cutting and very dependable service I am starting to have issues with 562XP.

I am going to leave it with dealer to get fixed up...was running too rich and flooding issues after shutting saw off?

It is 2013 Model so not sure what issue will turn out to be carb or just reset software.

I have ordered an Echo 590 Timberwolf and just wondering if I should adjust out of box or wait until after break-in with 40:1 and then check plug after warming up to see IF it is leaned out?

Is the best way to set H+L with a tach or just get someone to adjust H while you are cutting?

Well, after 4 years of cutting and very dependable service I am starting to have issues with 562XP.

I am going to leave it with dealer to get fixed up...was running too rich and flooding issues after shutting saw off?

It is 2013 Model so not sure what issue will turn out to be carb or just reset software.

I have ordered an Echo 590 Timberwolf and just wondering if I should adjust out of box or wait until after break-in with 40:1 and then check plug after warming up to see IF it is leaned out?

Is the best way to set H+L with a tach or just get someone to adjust H while you are cutting?

I have several in for repair and out of the box they are terrible. I had to condemn one today because of bad castings.. Sold the customer a MS 291 and he is far far happier. :D

If it was me with a new 590 timber wolf, I would want to do a muff mod and remove limiter caps off of carb sooner than later. Everything comes lean and restricted out of box these days. I tune saws by ear by myself. I dont know if I do it perfect but make it burble or four stroke out of wood at full throttle and settle down in the cut and as soon as i lift up in middle of cut i like it to burble. Thats how I do it anyways. The experts will chime in. I run 40:1 full synthetic in everything these days.

I would buy Stihl but local dealer requires a pint of blood and 2nd Mortgage on house....

O.K, I will for sure adjust so it is on "rich" side for break-in and run 40:1.

Sure hope they can tune up/ update my 562...

I have several in for repair and out of the box they are terrible. I had to condemn one today because of bad castings.. Sold the customer a MS 291 and he is far far happier. :D

More bs, a Echo CS590 is twice the saw as a cheap MS291. Maybe 3 times the saw, get real Steve

The experts will chime in but I recall something about the Hi adjustment being affected by the carb. Guess it's difficult to lean it as it runs fat. Someone more informed will hopefully provide more insight.

upload_2016-5-10_17-28-14.png

Just my opinion but you sir are full of $hit. Comparing an Echo cs-590 to that POS ms291 is just laughable. The 590 is a split case, pro grade saw minus the aluminum handle and the Power Match bar. A pro grade saw for an MSRP of $399. It can be bought for $360 at Home Depot with the military discount. As mountainlake said, the 590 is twice the saw the ms291 is for a heck of a lot less money.

P.S. - The "condemn one today because of bad castings" comment really made me laugh. Do a search of multiple builders/AS members who have been inside the 600 series saws and almost all of them mention how fine the castings are. Lots of comments how they're better than Stihl or husky's castings.

View attachment 502594

Just my opinion but you sir are full of $hit. Comparing an Echo cs-590 to that POS ms291 is just laughable. The 590 is a split case, pro grade saw minus the aluminum handle and the Power Match bar. A pro grade saw for an MSRP of $399. It can be bought for $360 at Home Depot with the military discount. As mountainlake said, the 590 is twice the saw the ms291 is for a heck of a lot less money.

P.S. - The "condemn one today because of bad castings" comment really made me laugh. Do a search of multiple builders/AS members who have been inside the 600 series saws and almost all of them mention how fine the castings are. Lots of comments how they're better than Stihl or husky's castings.

Jr relax. Since you were not there, nor were you the owner of the saw why comment with such hate? The customer was very happy with a 291, maybe it fit his needs better? With all the comments on how the echo saw must be adjusted or it will burn up is it at all possible that there was an issue in the casting of this particular saw? I think you should get a thicker skin and not be so upset when someone comments and it is not to your liking. I have repaired many echo products and the biggest issue I have had is the length of time it takes to get parts. Now it may very well be that I am spoiled that I can order a part on a Monday for stihl and Tuesday AM I receive the part. But 2 weeks for a sprocket is madness IMO. The 590 may be a better saw, I can't comment because I do not know of a single outfit running them. But I can say this without a shadow of a doubt the 029/290/291 saws have cut a huge amount of wood and perhaps this person needs a reliable saw out the box. So just relax.. its just 1 saw that slipped through the QC of Echo.

Comparing an Echo cs-590 to that POS ms291 is just laughable. The 590 is a split case, pro grade saw minus the aluminum handle and the Power Match bar. A pro grade saw for an MSRP of $399. It can be bought for $360 at Home Depot with the military discount. As mountainlake said, the 590 is twice the saw the ms291 is for a heck of a lot less money.
OK, I don't even like Stihls - I think they are over priced and that their plastic cased saws have some design deficiencies - but I challenge you to show how a 590 is "twice the saw" as a 291. Is it twice the power? Half the weight? Half the price? Why do you assume everyone can get a military discount? Who cares if the case is made of plastic or mag, or or if it's split or a clamshell? How does that affect how long it lasts or how it cuts in any way at all? People want their expensive new tools to work without having to take a grinder to the muffler or tune it before it self-destructs.

Jr relax. Since you were not there, nor were you the owner of the saw why comment with such hate? The customer was very happy with a 291, maybe it fit his needs better? With all the comments on how the echo saw must be adjusted or it will burn up is it at all possible that there was an issue in the casting of this particular saw? I think you should get a thicker skin and not be so upset when someone comments and it is not to your liking. I have repaired many echo products and the biggest issue I have had is the length of time it takes to get parts. Now it may very well be that I am spoiled that I can order a part on a Monday for stihl and Tuesday AM I receive the part. But 2 weeks for a sprocket is madness IMO. The 590 may be a better saw, I can't comment because I do not know of a single outfit running them. But I can say this without a shadow of a doubt the 029/290/291 saws have cut a huge amount of wood and perhaps this person needs a reliable saw out the box. So just relax.. its just 1 saw that slipped through the QC of Echo.

Who said I was upset? Who said I wasn't relaxed? You're entitled to your opinion and I respect that...I just think you're full of $hit:). I'm just trying to give some perspective to others who may not know better.

All I know is my uncle and I were cutting wood a couple weeks ago and he owns a 291. After seeing how my Echo's cut, I don't know how anyone could justify keeping that POS. My uncle fell for the same thing a lot of people fall for. They buy that Stihl name thinking their new homeowner saw will live up to that legendary quality & performance...and then they get disappointed. Too bad Chris-PA wasn't cutting with us. He wouldn't have had to ask why the 590 is twice the saw. LOL

Who said I was upset? Who said I wasn't relaxed? You're entitled to your opinion and I respect that...I just think you're full of $hit:). I'm just trying to give some perspective to others who may not know better.

All I know is my uncle and I were cutting wood a couple weeks ago and he owns a 291. After seeing how my Echo's cut, I don't know how anyone could justify keeping that POS. My uncle fell for the same thing a lot of people fall for. They buy that Stihl name thinking their new homeowner saw will live up to Stihl's legendary name...and then they get disappointed.

Why such hostility? I posted what happened and you get all bent out of shape? Seriously my friend you need to relax. I have yet to see anyone on here get so upset when they hear a saw fails. It happens. Perhaps this customer liked the fact he did not have to tinker with the saw to make it run right? I don't know. He got the bad news about his saw and came to collect it. Asked me what his options were since he cuts wood to heat. I told him the 029/290/291 have cut a great deal of firewood and were very reliable. Maybe he liked the fact that I took the time to explain the features of the chainsaw, the starting procedure, gassed it up and started it in front of him. Maybe he liked he did not get it in a box, maybe he liked the fact he did not have to go to the Internet to learn how to adjust it, maybe he liked the fact that straight out the box it worked? I would like to think he was very happy with the saw. Now just relax. Saws fail, they break down. Unless you are trying to say that the Echo saw is perfect and this never could happen?

OK, I don't even like Stihls - I think they are over priced and that their plastic cased saws have some design deficiencies - but I challenge you to show how a 590 is "twice the saw" as a 291. Is it twice the power? Half the weight? Half the price? Why do you assume everyone can get a military discount? Who cares if the case is made of plastic or mag, or or if it's split or a clamshell? How does that affect how long it lasts or how it cuts in any way at all? People want their expensive new tools to work without having to take a grinder to the muffler or tune it before it self-destructs.

I thought you learned your lesson buying Chinese made Mac's from the pawn shop:

i'll cut wood with anything. i especially like doing a job with a POS of any brand that people say isn't capable of anything. i once used a wild thing in a granberg small log mill lol. it was pretty ****** but it did the job and still ran after i was done. free saw and it milled $1000 in lumber and still ran after. think i sold it for a case of beer lol while i'm not saying the 291 is worthless i will say i'd much rather have a 590. i am a known hater of stihl clamshells. :cheers: i would run any of them into the ground though :D

Latest posts

Back