Echo 590 or 620 or other?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ponch37300

ponch37300

ArboristSite Member
We have some trees down from the "hurricane" in Iowa a few weeks ago. Time to pick up a little bigger saw to cut up some of the trunks. From my searching it seems like the echos are a pretty good value for home owners. I don't "need" a saw this size very often, I have a Milwaukee M18 saw that handles most of what I need cleaning up around the property for small limbs and branches up to about 10" once in a while. But need a bigger saw for some 24" or so trunks now. Also will be nice to have around for those times I'm pushed my little saws since I didn't have a bigger one. Even though I won't use it often I still would like a saw that will last a while. Seems like from my searching these echos should last a while with my only using it occasionally and they should fit my needs and won't be a huge chunk of change just laying in the garage most of their lives.

With that said, the 590 is 400 bucks, 620 is 560 or so bucks. Is the 620 worth the extra 160 bucks? Is the 620 more of a pro model? It has same size engine but more power and has an aluminum handle instead of plastic and think the bar is a better then the 590. I don't "need" a "pro" saw but if it'll last longer then it may be worth the extra money. I believe I can even put a 27" bar on the 620 if my reading was correct, which may come in handy once in a while. Anything else I need to know about these two saws? Just trying to decide if the 620 is worth the extra money or not, willing to buy whichever saw but at the same time if the 590 is "good enough" for me then that 160 can be spent on other things, like a pole saw I've been wanting also.

Thanks for your advice.

bfast250

bfast250

ArboristSite Lurker
I cannot comment on the two models, but want to point out that many Echo dealers have a one day sale this fall which is 15% off. Best of luck on your purchase I love my cs-400.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

ponch37300

ponch37300

ArboristSite Member
I cannot comment on the two models, but want to point out that many Echo dealers have a one day sale this fall which is 15% off. Best of luck on your purchase I love my cs-400.

You don't happen to know what day that is do you? Thank you for the tip.

ponch37300

ponch37300

ArboristSite Member
No, sorry. My understanding is that each dealer has a unique date.

Ok. My only local dealer is a equipment rental shop so I will have to stop in there and have a talk with them. Was planning on stopping in there this week anyway once I figured out which saw I wanted/needed. Thanks

jp233

jp233

ArboristSite Operative
Everything I've read or seen on the 590 has been mostly positive, it's a great value. If you only need it for a once-and-a-while big job, I doubt you can go wrong with it - and save some cash for other stuff.

NeSurfcaster

NeSurfcaster

ArboristSite Operative
620 does cut well, never ran the 590. But as a casual user the 590 is probably good enough. You could still put the 27" on the 590 just run full skip. It won't be fast but it will do it. I'd probably get the 590 w/ a 20" and buy a 24/7" and some chains for both. and a box of 7/32nds files

Cord_Nipper

Cord_Nipper

ArboristSite Member
But as a casual user the 590 is probably good enough. You could still put the 27" on the 590 just run full skip. It won't be fast but it will do it. I'd probably get the 590 w/ a 20" and buy a 24/7" and some chains for both. and a box of 7/32nds files
Running a 28" Oregon bar with a JGX skip chain on one of my 590s.
It's a fast enough set up. Especially if time isn't money, ie not being run professionally.
Poncho, the 620 is a great saw. But is still a 60 cc saw just like the 590.
The operational advantage it has is that it runs a larger carb and an unlimited coil. It also has a full wrap handle.
I've never needed an unlimited coil running either of my 590s. And conversely never felt the need for a bigger carb.
Spend a few dollars more and get a 24" bar and use the money you saved and invest in a few extra chains.

alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I only own the CS400 Echo my self, a friend how ever bought a CS 590 one heck of a saw for the money and would do just about every thing I myself need to do.

But I have been lusting over a Echo CS 800P for some time to use milling.
Wife isn't going to be happy but I am going to buy one when the ship comes in.

Yes I still have the incureable cancer and that is why Kare will go nuts.
I will will it to a fire wood burning friend.

Al

burnses

burnses

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
I ran a 590 I fixed for a friend. removed the muffler outer baffle or if I remember some sort of plate...Great saw cut up a bunch of oak on a 10 deg. day. I think the biggest cut was 18-20 inch no problem. I think it comes with a 20 inch bar...put a good chain on it keep it sharp and just work he other side of the log.. little chunky for a 60 cc saw but great deal and good anti vibe. if ya get one you need to richen it up even if you don't touch the muffler.

good luck
the can