Echo Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah ok, I admit I was being optimistic when I made that statement quite some time ago. I was comparing the performance of my flowbenched CS-400 muffler to a........Husky 55 Rancher. And I had a Stihl Picco Chain on it, not the Oregon 91VX I have now (which is much better chain for the saw). Still, the mods which are totally external to the engine itself, made a HUGE improvement.

If you liked the flowbench data, wait till you see what I have brewing for modifying my Echo String trimmer :)

You weren't being too optimistic as I've done timed cuts in bigger wood with one of my CS400 saw a real good running 029 I had, my open port Rancher 55 and my Echo Cs520 . The CS400 was way faster than the Rancher 55 53cc (and yes I keep the 55 in that ity bitty powerband it has), 1 second slower in than that o29 which is gone and qiute a bit slower than my Cs520. No it doesn't keep up with a good 50cc closed port saw but it does with Stihl and Husky homeowner 56 and 53 cc saws. It's not alway the high revving saw with a peaky power band that will cut the fastest. WAY too much hype , oh boy listen to this saw scream . Also cuts way faster than my CS440 45cc Steve

Last edited:
. Also cuts way faster than my CS440 45cc Steve

couldn't get that through a friends head the other day:hmm3grin2orange: buddy had a very good running 440, i told him the cs 400 was a faster saw. he said nope more cc's in the 440 so it has to be faster and stronnger. i smile and toss him the 400. long story short, he bought one today and traded the 440 in on it:hmm3grin2orange: i gotta do a muffler mod on it tomorrow to keep him quiet, otherwise i'll have to listen to him whine that his saw taint as fast as mine.
yes, both my cs400 and (used to be) his 440 are muffler modded, the 400 is just faster everywhere. mind you, has anybody tried low pro on the 440? has anybody tried .325 on the 400? wondering if that may be the reason the 440 is coming up slower than the 400......

8 year old CS300 just keeps on running-not a powerful machine by any means, but ALWAYS starts easily. I bought a Dolmar PS420 when I saw an open box priced CS-450, for $194 I wasn't leaving it behind- no matter what the wife would say (I also didn't tell her LOL). Runs well, just ditched the stock Echo 20" bar with safety chain for a 16" Oregon with a Carlton chain. The Dolmar is back from the dealer for the second time-no work order on it so the parts guy couldn't tell me if it was the coil again, or crap in the carb again-this was a new saw at the time :(. Go figure. All under warranty, though. I'm beginning to favor these small saws over the bigger ones :msp_tongue:.

couldn't get that through a friends head the other day:hmm3grin2orange: buddy had a very good running 440, i told him the cs 400 was a faster saw. he said nope more cc's in the 440 so it has to be faster and stronnger. i smile and toss him the 400. long story short, he bought one today and traded the 440 in on it:hmm3grin2orange: i gotta do a muffler mod on it tomorrow to keep him quiet, otherwise i'll have to listen to him whine that his saw taint as fast as mine.
yes, both my cs400 and (used to be) his 440 are muffler modded, the 400 is just faster everywhere. mind you, has anybody tried low pro on the 440? has anybody tried .325 on the 400? wondering if that may be the reason the 440 is coming up slower than the 400......

My CS400 was also faster than my CS4400 43cc which I think is a better model than the Cs440. I went the other way , put a 7 tooth lp 3/8 chain on my CS4400, no improvment at all then switch the 4400 a 6 tooth, huge improvement, now it cuts a tad faster than the CS400. Once again slower chain speed, more torque cuts faster in bigger wood. Steve

I owned a CS-440 for a while, and it wasn't impressive anyplace. I also owned three Husqvarna 55 Ranchers (open port), and they were also pretty lame, at least in comparison to a closed port model. You will notice that the open port 55's and CS-440 are no longer in my line-up.

I would NOT recomend going up to .325 on a CS-370 or 400. They cut fast because they are set up with 3/8" LP. They don't have the power it takes to effectively run .325". Just going from a 14" to 16" bar slows one down some. I've found they work best with the 14" bar and 3/8" LP set-up.....Cliff

I did those timed cuts with a 16" bar, really don't think theres a lot of difference unless the bar is buried and these CS400 saws pull a 16" buried in oak well but are a lot happier in 12" and smaller wood. Steve

all i've ever owned has been echo...with that said i had an old 500 that had a recall on it from like 1984. if your serial #'s were between so and so take it to your dealier and walk out with a new 50cc saw. Even though that thing ran great i thought what the heck took it in and paid the difference between the 50cc and jumped up the the 680. great saw in my opion i've ran buddies sthils and to be honest i perfer the 680 not to mention the warrenty...alot of guys are sayin the warrenty isnt worth the paper its printed on well for some reason my first 680 had a leak somewhere in the piston and sized up took it back to the dealier and walked out with a new 680..
so as for warrenty i've had great luck...I normally run a 24" bar but i also have a 32" bar with a skip chain and a reg. chain for it not the fastest but she'll pull it...i'm rebuilding a 064...haha cant wait to see what that thing will do...bought it for 35 by the time the complete rebuild is done i'll have bout $250 into er...and that will be my first experence owning a sthil...But as for echo's i'm a believer...Hoogie

I like to support American made products whenever I can but I have to say I am a fan of Japanese engineering. Of all the cars I've owned I think the Hondas and Toyotas are far superior as far as design is concerned. If the saws are anything like the cars I would consider one.

all i've ever owned has been echo...with that said i had an old 500 that had a recall on it from like 1984. if your serial #'s were between so and so take it to your dealier and walk out with a new 50cc saw. Even though that thing ran great i thought what the heck took it in and paid the difference between the 50cc and jumped up the the 680. great saw in my opion i've ran buddies sthils and to be honest i perfer the 680 not to mention the warrenty...alot of guys are sayin the warrenty isnt worth the paper its printed on well for some reason my first 680 had a leak somewhere in the piston and sized up took it back to the dealier and walked out with a new 680..
so as for warrenty i've had great luck...I normally run a 24" bar but i also have a 32" bar with a skip chain and a reg. chain for it not the fastest but she'll pull it...i'm rebuilding a 064...haha cant wait to see what that thing will do...bought it for 35 by the time the complete rebuild is done i'll have bout $250 into er...and that will be my first experence owning a sthil...But as for echo's i'm a believer...Hoogie

You'll like that 064, one of Stihl best. Steve

I owned a CS-440 for a while, and it wasn't impressive anyplace. I also owned three Husqvarna 55 Ranchers (open port), and they were also pretty lame, at least in comparison to a closed port model. You will notice that the open port 55's and CS-440 are no longer in my line-up.

I would NOT recomend going up to .325 on a CS-370 or 400. They cut fast because they are set up with 3/8" LP. They don't have the power it takes to effectively run .325". Just going from a 14" to 16" bar slows one down some. I've found they work best with the 14" bar and 3/8" LP set-up.....Cliff

Now I've been thinking that 3/8 is larger than .325 because the decimal conversion of 3/8s is .375. Perhaps I've been wrong all along!

All the Best of the Season

Lee

I've got a new found respect for them, it really seems that they have listened to the market/consumer and with this new line up headed up by saws like the 500P, the brand may enjoy a comeback, gaining some market share from Husky, the box stores will undoubtedly try to place them in their assortment as Husky financial struggles will impact their buying decisions.
Now they have joined forces with Shindawia, I'll bet the R&D and innovation just continues to get better and better, more model introductions and not letting the line get aged.

This thread is over a year old and has 4 pages.
Maybe the threat of having Homelites posted here on a daily basis will lite a fire under you-all.

scan0009.jpg

I finally did it

I've been an Echo fan for the past 5 years and have the cs330, 400, 450, 600, and stand by them pound for pound fine saws. I also sharpen a mean chain. Anyway I've been reading about muffler mods and reading and reading but never trying one. The other day I was sitting in the shop, looked over at my little climbing saw that I've had for at least 5 years, and said its time. I removed the muffler, grabbed the drill and started to drill it out the cat. After getting all the cat removed I started drilling holes in the ring that held the cat. I removed the deflector, spark arrest screen and drilled two 1/2" holes under the deflector cover, enlarging my exhaust outlet. All I can saw is wow can't believe the difference, night and day, just by doing a 10 minute alteration to the muffler.

I've been an Echo fan for the past 5 years and have the cs330, 400, 450, 600, and stand by them pound for pound fine saws. I also sharpen a mean chain. Anyway I've been reading about muffler mods and reading and reading but never trying one. The other day I was sitting in the shop, looked over at my little climbing saw that I've had for at least 5 years, and said its time. I removed the muffler, grabbed the drill and started to drill it out the cat. After getting all the cat removed I started drilling holes in the ring that held the cat. I removed the deflector, spark arrest screen and drilled two 1/2" holes under the deflector cover, enlarging my exhaust outlet. All I can saw is wow can't believe the difference, night and day, just by doing a 10 minute alteration to the muffler.

You'll get the same improvement with the CS400 and CS450 for sure , I haven't done a CS600. Steve

It's been posted in a different thread, but if any of you pick up the new CS500P and want to do a muffler mod, it's about as simple as it gets. Pull off the deflector, open it up a little, pull out the restrictor tube, put screen and deflector back on. 10 minutes.

The CS500P may never get the sales volume it deserves because it has the Echo name on it, but it is a fine saw with all the standard pro features.

I broke down and bought one of those cs500p echo's...I replaced the echo bar with a 16" power match plus Oregon bar, and put an LPX chain on it. It cuts fast and it's still stock. Beware ms 261 and 346xp the new boy is in town. Echo may not make an 70cc saw that can compete with the 441 or 372xp, atleast not yet but that 50cc saw is a masterpiece. A friend of my dad has a contract to deliver 3 semi loads of wood every week to St. Louis, he has always been a Stihl man...but after trying this saw he is going to buy one.

Latest posts

Back